Creighton NIL Deal for every scholarship player

ChosenChildren

This probably belongs on the basketball board, but it certainly has applicability to football.

Creighton is putting all of its resources into basketball and trying to build a national brand, according to a very reliable source.

Current deal for EVERY scholarship basketball player, per year:

1. $75,000 cash
2. Condo
3. Car

NIL is total insanity. It is not sustainable and it certainly isn't fair. Even the NFL and NBA have rules on what teams can pay players.

I think NIL is going to reward programs that are cash-flush...but also programs that are smart, strategic, and demonstrate integrity. And the athletes who have long been generating most of the revenue while reaping a paltry share of it will finally be fairly compensated.

I think some of the programs that are currently swinging for the moon with NIL are going to crash and burn; they are going to fail to make promised payments, they are going to disillusion boosters when they fail to win even with that multi-million dollar individual payouts they made, and they are going to develop terrible reputations. That might not matter immediately, but it will matter in 10 years when the dust settles and recruits can really see who does things right.

This probably belongs on the basketball board, but it certainly has applicability to football.

Creighton is putting all of its resources into basketball and trying to build a national brand, according to a very reliable source.

1. $75,000 cash
2. Condo
3. Car

NIL is total insanity. It is not sustainable and it certainly isn't fair. Even the NFL and NBA have rules on what teams can pay players.
With how much money flows through NCAA BB and FB, why is it not sustainable and fair? It is the NCAA that made a mockery of the rules and created an environment contrary to Fair Trade. I find it very funny and makes me look at JBo differently as a person. I am as big a Hawk fan as anyone historically, but I especially find it a funny situation for KF. The guy who held out signing a contract for a long long time. I just wish he wasn't so "mature" in age as he doesn't really have to change as he goes to the bank.

What will make NCAA sports unsustainable is a growing lack of fan interest for reasons other than NIL.

NIL is total insanity.
It's not insanity. Just because you don't like something doesn't make it insane. You have no connection to college sports or the athletes whatsoever; we are just bystanders with no stake in the game. Once again, student athletes tried for decades to get the ability to make money while the NCAA threatened ruining their careers for so much as taking $10 for an autograph. These are Mark Emmert and his cronies' chickens coming home to roost.
It is not sustainable.
It is very much sustainable. College athletic departments and their boosters are some of the richest people and organizations in the world.

...and it certainly isn't fair.
Why not? Every school out there and every donor base out there is allowed to do this if they want.

Remember, at the end of the day there are the same amount of 4 and 5 star players out there in the talent pool. And predicting future success of players is a gamble at best. Soon enough there will be equilibrium in the market where people like the Purdue boosters realize that paying Charlie Jones over a million dollars is a horrible investment with near zero ROI. Until then, let the players make money with their talents. A bunch of 58 year old white dudes sitting on couches don't and shouldn't have a say in it. If you really hate it, speak with your wallet and viewership.

Not trying to blow this out of the water, but what has ever been "fair" in sports? Rec leagues have a huge gap in the way talent is distributed or the coaches that are provided to each team. High schools have issues with accommodations, facilities, cash flow and district lines. At the club level there's the costs and fees, coaching and exposure, and that sort of thing. Why should college be any different? While we want to say there's a level playing field, such a thing doesn't exist. I don't see how NIL is this game changer that will destroy the system and ruin sports.

Not trying to blow this out of the water, but what has ever been "fair" in sports? Rec leagues have a huge gap in the way talent is distributed or the coaches that are provided to each team. High schools have issues with accommodations, facilities, cash flow and district lines. At the club level there's the costs and fees, coaching and exposure, and that sort of thing. Why should college be any different? While we want to say there's a level playing field, such a thing doesn't exist. I don't see how NIL is this game changer that will destroy the system and ruin sports.
This.

Let's also not act like this stuff hasn't always been happening. Schools and donors just did it illegally. Now it's out in the open.

If Creighton wants to get creative and build a basketball brand, why shouldn't they be able to? If it doesn't work, donors are going to see it as a waste of money eventually and stop, so what's the harm? This isn't tax payer money like a scholarship.

Funny you bring up rec leagues. I loved to frustrate the "system".

I do think MLB is being negatively impacted by the unfairness as a number of athletic kids from poorer backgrounds including single parents are sort of locked out of baseball in early years. In many communities football and BB the same with travel teams.

That's like a million dollars a year total. That is not a lot of money to try and build a Final Four team. Creighton has plenty of booster money for MBB. They pack 18k a night into their games.

I thought it would be a lot more. :)

That's like a million dollars a year total. That is not a lot of money to try and build a Final Four team. Creighton has plenty of booster money for MBB. They pack 18k a night into their games.

I thought it would be a lot more. :)
That is probably close to minimum wage soon.

What will make NCAA sports unsustainable is a growing lack of fan interest for reasons other than NIL.

I think this is correct. The younger kids don't give a shit about sports and if NIL further upsets competitive balance I think you'll see the more marginal teams start running into big problems, particularly in leagues without lucrative media deals. Say what you want about programs like Boston College or Cal or Kansas State, but for the endeavor to survive you need a strong network effect with teams generating fan interest locally. With the advent of the portal it may become 10x more difficult for terrible teams to get good, too.

I think this is correct. The younger kids don't give a shit about sports and if NIL further upsets competitive balance I think you'll see the more marginal teams start running into big problems, particularly in leagues without lucrative media deals. Say what you want about programs like Boston College or Cal or Kansas State, but for the endeavor to survive you need a strong network effect with teams generating fan interest locally. With the advent of the portal it may become 10x more difficult for terrible teams to get good, too.
Add Iowa State to that mix. Then look at NW from a different angle. They can't really compete with boosters from others. The end is near for Fitz at NW. Maryland, Purdue, IU, MSU, Rutgers, IL will also all be in Big trouble. Iowa, Nebby, and W will be the middle wrung in my estimation. Iowa could be held back by ....all things KF in the changes.

The way businesses work, the network money will be for the basics, but boosters will make the difference.

I do believe this is why W made the change and we haven't yet seen what that change will end up looking like.

The 12 will be an afterthought. The lowest 10 will be considerably higher than the highest 12.

Last edited:
Add Iowa State to that mix. Then look at NW from a different angle. They can't really compete with boosters from others. The end is near for Fitz at NW in my estimation.

Northwestern is okay for now. I think Pat Ryan is probably the second wealthiest college sport backer after T. Boone died (Phil Knight is probably number 1). But once Pat Ryan dies they will likely revert to their "Northwestern is looking for its first win in 38 games" ways. Agreed on Iowa State.

Yep, what ultimately made college sports so popular was the long-standing, geographic-based rivalries. It's amazing to me how much the Big Ten has been willing to piss this away. I know what the crazy payouts are for each school. I don't think it is worth it.

The other part of this - what in the hell are places like the University of Iowa going to do with the $100M a year they'll be getting in TV football money? Build an even bigger "performance center"? Maybe switch all the weights out to pure gold? Maybe at the training table they add caviar and shark fin soup and tiger sweat gland smoothies with each meal?

Somehow the university can't field a swim though - despite like a 100 year tradition and already having one of the best pools in the country?

Northwestern is okay for now. I think Pat Ryan is probably the second wealthiest college sport backer after T. Boone died (Phil Knight is probably number 1). But once Pat Ryan dies they will likely revert to their "Northwestern is looking for its first win in 38 games" ways. Agreed on Iowa State.

Almost all SEC schools are above Iowa. However if money were everything, Texas A and M would be king and Floriday, KY, Auburn, and SC aren't getting their money's worth.

Yep, what ultimately made college sports so popular was the long-standing, geographic-based rivalries. It's amazing to me how much the Big Ten has been willing to piss this away. I know what the crazy payouts are for each school. I don't think it is worth it.

The other part of this - what in the hell are places like the University of Iowa going to do with the $100M a year they'll be getting in TV football money? Build an even bigger "performance center"? Maybe switch all the weights out to pure gold? Maybe at the training table they add caviar and shark fin soup and tiger sweat gland smoothies with each meal?

Somehow the university can't field a swim though - despite like a 100 year tradition and already having one of the best pools in the country?
Under the current regime? Nothing beyond bigger admin/coaches contracts likely.

NIL is just getting started. If you think Creighton has a good deal, think of what the schools who win the football TV lottery will have once the dust settles? Creighton flies fucking commercially to games all the time. Like, you see the team boarding Southwest from Terminal B in Omaha regularly. They don't have the resources a B1G school does, even if they want to pretend they do. And they never will with out football to generate that. I think the Big East will be relatively irrelevant in 10 years. They see that coming, they need to get out in front of it.

Meanwhile, Iowa will evolve, they'll be forced to if they want to be competitive. If they don't they will suffer. New coaches will bring in new ideals.

Right now, Iowa aint suffering shit really in any sport, so hard to say "We need this to win", when so far, we don't.

1. $75,000 cash
2. Condo
3. Car

We need to pump the brakes here for a minute.

I've looked around on SM and googled this, and I see literally no mention of it. I'm not asking for your source's name or anything, but what's your "reliable source?"

1. $75,000 cash
2. Condo
3. Car

What's not sustainable about it? These are rich boosters choosing to do it. Doesn't have to be fair. It's not fair that I'm not 6'6 200 lbs and athletic either but that's life. It's called capitalism. I bet Mcdonalds, Burger King and Wendys all pay their employees about the same. These schools will all figure out what they are all doing and become competitive amongst each other because if not the ones that do more will get the kids they want. Just that simple. I have zero problems with NIL. It's how it shoulda been all these yrs.

I was just listening to talk radio in Omaha for the past 30 minutes and this did not come up. Seems like it would be a topic. The money also seems light and is it really communistic? Everyone gets the same? The starter and the towel waiver at the end of the bench get the same? Do walkons get anything?

I was just listening to talk radio in Omaha for the past 30 minutes and this did not come up. Seems like it would be a topic. The money also seems light and is it really communistic? Everyone gets the same? The starter and the towel waiver at the end of the bench get the same? Do walkons get anything?

Iowa's Swarm collective is the same thing, every athlete gets the same things across football, women's basketball, and men's basketball (I think wrestling has a separate collective?). But importantly, this is just the floor. The other thing the collective does is work with athletes to explore marketing opportunities. So the towel-waiver and the star have the same floor, but the collective helps the star negotiate a 6-figure contract with Hy-Vee.

And remember, in theory, these can't be payouts to simply come to a school and play (i.e. pay-for-play not allowed). These payouts need to be in exchange for a service from the athlete. In the case of the Swarm Collective, that service is community-service involvement through the United Way (and other charities/non-profits). Or in the case of a marketing deal, in exchange for using the athlete's NIL to sell products.

There have been some schools (e.g. BYU women's athletics) where a company ponies up the bucks to support every single athlete. And in exchange, the company can use NIL from all of those teams to promote their product.

I don't know if the NCAA will ever try to enforce the no pay-for-play aspect of this...seems like a tricky proposition.

Latest posts