Crazy Stat

WinOneThisCentury

So Coleman rushes 15 times.

3 Touchdown runs - 83, 45, and 69 for 197 yards (65.67 YPC)
12 other runs for 22 yards. (1.83 YPC)

Honestly, I don't think I've ever seen a stat line like that. So the D will be breaking down three running plays from a learning standpoint. He didn't average 2 yards per carry on ALL his other runs. t think we learned one thing...if that guy gets a crease, he houses it. Or when your safeties take angles to the line of scrimmage he houses it.

That fellas is a what a playmaker does at RB.

Not only do safeties need to take better angles, but he LBs need to attack the LOS rather than running laterally and over pursuing or running around blockers thus losing gap integrity and creating the huge running lanes.

Not only do safeties need to take better angles, but he LBs need to attack the LOS rather than running laterally and over pursuing or running around blockers thus losing gap integrity and creating the huge running lanes.
OP apparently didn't see the UNI game. David Johnson had very a similar stat line (200+ yards on a handful of touches, little to nothing on the rest of them). Watching Coleman outrun the angle on every LB and DB on the field was eerily reminiscent. Good news for the Hawks is that they still have 2 RBs on the schedule better than anyone they've played so far.

I think it shows how strong our dline is against the run.if we had last year's linebackers we would have held a very good running back to about 2 yards per carry.

Barry Sanders was similar with Detroit. A lot of short or no gains and then he'd bust a big one.

He's a great back, but on one long run we just didn't tackle when we had him at the line. Fundamental football. I know people love to hear this, but it's true. Angles and tacking can be cleaned up. I'm not taking anything away from the kid's talent either.

He's a great back, but on one long run we just didn't tackle when we had him at the line. Fundamental football. I know people love to hear this, but it's true. Angles and tacking can be cleaned up. I'm not taking anything away from the kid's talent either.

Not taking anything away from the rb, because he is very good, however, on that break away play, #71 Carl Davis, looked to have him before he broke through, but may have had his hand or arm in there wrong and immediately went down grabbing his own hand like he briefly injured or jarred it. Certainly understandable and not something that happens regularly.

This.....Lowdermilk/lomax were taking bad angles, but it was 15, 20 yards down the field. The LB(s) were literally no where to be found.

Look no further than Jonathan Parker of Iowa. 3 carries, 58 yards (and a TD) with a long of 60. :D

Boy...we didn't tackle him when we had him at the line of scrimmage...on a few of those, I don't think he was even touched. Our linebackers didn't scrape the outside very well and our safeties were terrible. Hell, I'd have been happy to say it was just tackling...but we never even laid a hand on him.

Boy...we didn't tackle him when we had him at the line of scrimmage...on a few of those, I don't think he was even touched. Our linebackers didn't scrape the outside very well and our safeties were terrible. Hell, I'd have been happy to say it was just tackling...but we never even laid a hand on him.

I was pretty drunk, but I thought he was only untouched on one of the runs. Those LBs have to not overcommit. This year's corps looks pretty raw still, but this is the standard procedure when we turn over the LBs (e.g., growing pains in 2006 and 2010 when we lost multiple solid starters). That said, Alston should probably exhibit a little better awareness.

OP apparently didn't see the UNI game. David Johnson had very a similar stat line (200+ yards on a handful of touches, little to nothing on the rest of them). Watching Coleman outrun the angle on every LB and DB on the field was eerily reminiscent. Good news for the Hawks is that they still have 2 RBs on the schedule better than anyone they've played so far.

Coleman is just as good if not better than Gordon or Abullah. The bigger issue is that both Gordon and Addullah have much better teams around them.

LB position, pursuit angles, and gap integrity are huge areas of concern going forward. Our LBs are constantly over pursing and leaving huge cutback lanes...which Cobb, Gordon, and Adullah thrive on. We have to clean thus up.

In addition to Coleman being good, IU's OL was no slouch either. If I recall (reading) correctly, their OL collectively are one of the most experienced units with most starts in the nation.

Latest posts