Covid-19 and Type 1 diabetes in those 18 and younger

uihawk82

My wife just read an interesting study or data report, reported at least in JAMA and CDC, that after 2.5 years of Covid 19 children and adolescents 18 and under are 2.6 times more likely, a high difference, to develop type 1 diabetes after contracting Covid. We learned when one of our grandsons developed type 1 diabetes, which was before covid, that most or very high percentages of cases of young kids developing type 1 diabetes is because of there own immune response to some other infection. So viruses or maybe other infectious agents is the big cause of type 1 diabetes forming, at least from what endocrinologists say.

As my wife, who is a retired family practice MD, says some or many of these kids may have been prone to develop type 1 diabetes from some other virus but it is still a good reason for kids to not catch covid, whether through masking or other measures or by getting fully immunized.

So protect those kids.

My wife just read an interesting study or data report, reported at least in JAMA and CDC, that after 2.5 years of Covid 19 children and adolescents 18 and under are 2.6 times more likely, a high difference, to develop type 1 diabetes after contracting Covid. We learned when one of our grandsons developed type 1 diabetes, which was before covid, that most or very high percentages of cases of young kids developing type 1 diabetes is because of there own immune response to some other infection. So viruses or maybe other infectious agents is the big cause of type 1 diabetes forming, at least from what endocrinologists say.

As my wife, who is a retired family practice MD, says some or many of these kids may have been prone to develop type 1 diabetes from some other virus but it is still a good reason for kids to not catch covid, whether through masking or other measures or by getting fully immunized.

So protect those kids.
So can I ask what age was or is your grandson when developing Type 1 DM? I wonder what the average age at onset is, now that you bring that up.

I really enjoy pathophysiology. This is interesting.

Good luck to your grandson with this diagnosis going forward. I'm certain he will learn to manage this well.

I think the biggest problem is the best things we have to slow spread is only slowing it and not stopping it. That means when a virus is around forever like covid will be, all anyone can hope to do is prolong when they get it. No one will ever be able to avoid it forever.

So can I ask what age was or is your grandson when developing Type 1 DM? I wonder what the average age at onset is, now that you bring that up.

I really enjoy pathophysiology. This is interesting.

Good luck to your grandson with this diagnosis going forward. I'm certain he will learn to manage this well.

Our grandson was was around 5 or just turning 5 years old. I am not sure about average age when type 1 is contracted but it could be at a lot of ages based on when a child or adolescent catches something that really activates their immune system to attack the pancreas. Oh he is doing fine with figuring carbs, figuring his insulin, he has the newer attached to the body blood glucose readers and insulin injection devices.

If you like physiology, I heard and read about the below item about 3 months ago and I hope some day it will cure my grandson and all of them who get it.

Utilizing research from the Melton Lab, Vertex Pharmaceuticals has developed VX-880, an investigational stem cell-derived, fully differentiated pancreatic islet cell replacement therapy for people with type 1 diabetes (T1D).

Latest posts