Could this be the "Media Bomb" Jon was referring to?

I would be shocked to see the Gazette/KCRG ever publish or air anything that would result in Barta to ask for an apology.

This quote is very telling in my opinion, "“There’s several layers to it, but right at the top, obviously, I’m not at all happy with where we are right now competitively, not at all happy with where we are in attendance and just the feel of the all-around program,” Iowa Athletics Director Gary Barta said. “But that being said, my support of Todd (Lickliter) hasn’t wavered.”
Every AD in the country publicly supports the bball coach, Barta did support Steve and boom he's gone. The AD at Louisville supported Kragthorpe and boom he's fired. You don't say things like I am not happy with where we are competitively and not put down some serious what if's or do this or else scenarios.

You don't say things like I am not happy with where we are competitively and not put down some serious what if's or do this or else scenarios.

Loess, we can only hope you are right on this asessment. Even if Lick isn't fired, significant changes need to be made to his staff and how Lick does his job, if he ever hopes to turn this thing around, before he does get fired. If I was one of his assistants, I would actively be looking for another gig.

This quote is very telling in my opinion, "“There’s several layers to it, but right at the top, obviously, I’m not at all happy with where we are right now competitively, not at all happy with where we are in attendance and just the feel of the all-around program,â€￾ Iowa Athletics Director Gary Barta said. “But that being said, my support of Todd (Lickliter) hasn’t wavered.â€￾
Every AD in the country publicly supports the bball coach, Barta did support Steve and boom he's gone. The AD at Louisville supported Kragthorpe and boom he's fired. You don't say things like I am not happy with where we are competitively and not put down some serious what if's or do this or else scenarios.

Wow. The comment about "feel of the all-around program" especially, you don't normally see that kind of statement publicly. This actually gives me some small hope that Barta is applying pressure beyond just "next year has to better".

Wow. The comment about "feel of the all-around program" especially, you don't normally see that kind of statement publicly. This actually gives me some small hope that Barta is applying pressure beyond just "next year has to better".

What do you expect Barta to say at this point -- "My support of Coach Lickliter is wavering and I no longer believe he can lead the program"?

Don't hold your breath.

The only time an AD publicly says he doesn't support the coach is when he fires him. Or sets goals for the coming year that both know are unlikely to be achieved considering the current state of the program.

Last edited:
What do you expect Barta to say at this point -- "My support of Coach Lickliter is wavering and I no longer believe he can lead the program"?

Don't hold your breath.

The only time an AD publicly says he doesn't support the coach is when he fires him. Or sets goals for the coming year that both know are unlikely to be achieved considering the current state of the program.

Tweeter - Are you refering to the goals he set for Alfraud who then determined they were not possible to reach and bolted for New Mexico??

Will Barta be seeking an apology from KCRG and the Gazette after this comes out ?

Talking about the decline of a program after interviewing SI personnel, Barta himself, former coaches, etc... is not even on the same page as throw cheap unfunny shots at a walk-on freshman basketball player.

Latest posts