Could this be KF's last shot at a Big Ten title?

Is this KF's last shot?

• Total voters
What happens first: The end of division play or Kirk retires?

Divisional play in the Big 10 keeps more teams in the title hunt for longer than having all 14 teams in one standings. The last few weeks of the season the East Div had title games basically between OSU, MSU, and MIch while in the West Div 4 teams were still in it going to the next to last week and 3 teams had a chance going into the last weekend.

Divisional play in the Big 10 keeps more teams in the title hunt for longer than having all 14 teams in one standings. The last few weeks of the season the East Div had title games basically between OSU, MSU, and MIch while in the West Div 4 teams were still in it going to the next to last week and 3 teams had a chance going into the last weekend.
Drop the divisions and we end up with stupid tie breakers between teams like MSU and Iowa that didn't play each other. At least divisional tie breakers feel more meaningful.

Drop the divisions and we end up with stupid tie breakers between teams like MSU and Iowa that didn't play each other. At least divisional tie breakers feel more meaningful.

Yes, without divisions teams are out of the hunt earlier. See my post in this thread posted just before this post of yours.

Yes, without divisions teams are out of the hunt earlier. See my post in this thread posted just before this post of yours.
The post I quoted? I was agreeing with what you said and adding an element that you did not mention--that at least with divisions we get tiebreakers that involve teams that must have played.

I'd still be for occasional realignment for greater parity if someone could convince me of a good way to do it, though realignment more frequently than say 5-6 years will result in unpredictable results. Nebraska being a dumpster fire did a lot to hurt the balance in the Big Ten, and nobody would have predicted it. Short of some really masterful plan divisions are fine as is.

Wisconsin will be there. I am not so sure about Nebraska. They lose quite a bit and even their fans (at least some) seem to be looking forward to darker days. Recruiting was poor this year and the next class does not seem to be shaping up very well either.
Not so sure of this comment. That Freshman QB looked damn good. I think just the opposite because of that. Give that kid a little more experience and he could be one of the best QB’s in the conference. In fact I will call it right now. By the time (barring injuries)this kid finishes playing for Nebraska he will one of the top two QB’s in the conference. Likely number one.

Not so sure of this comment. That Freshman QB looked damn good. I think just the opposite because of that. Give that kid a little more experience and he could be one of the best QB’s in the conference. In fact I will call it right now. By the time (barring injuries)this kid finishes playing for Nebraska he will one of the top two QB’s in the conference. Likely number one.
It is hard to say though. Throughout college and even in the NFL, replacement QBs with little film often look really good their first few starts until they are "figured out." Of course you'd prefer that a new QB look great in their first start than terrible, but just look at Iowa State bringing a new guy off the bench each year who their fans proclaim the next Heisman winner only to get benched 6-10 games later. Purdy is the first guy that has stuck for them under Campbell, and he's not as good as they initially thought, either.

It is hard to say though. Throughout college and even in the NFL, replacement QBs with little film often look really good their first few starts until they are "figured out." Of course you'd prefer that a new QB look great in their first start than terrible, but just look at Iowa State bringing a new guy off the bench each year who their fans proclaim the next Heisman winner only to get Us benched 6-10 games later. Purdy is the first guy that has stuck for them under Campbell, and he's not as good as they initially thought, either.
For Iowa’s sake I hope I am wrong.

I think the kid looked good too. But I wouldn't go so far to say he is the next Lamar Jackson. You threw in the caveat "barring injuries". He ran the ball 24 times on Friday. That is not something that will hold up long term. Look at how many times Martinez was injured and couldn't play. He was out parts of all four seasons.

You need a good O-Line and D-Line (and everything else) to make a team and that is what I was referring to when I said they are losing a lot. I think this year they peaked in that regard.

I think the kid looked good too. But I wouldn't go so far to say he is the next Lamar Jackson. You threw in the caveat "barring injuries". He ran the ball 24 times on Friday. That is not something that will hold up long term. Look at how many times Martinez was injured and couldn't play. He was out parts of all four seasons.

You need a good O-Line and D-Line (and everything else) to make a team and that is what I was referring to when I said they are losing a lot. I think this year they peaked in that regard.
Personally I hope they tank, Lol. How screwed up do you have to be to give an extention to the head coach, but demand he fire most of his offensive coaches. It’s only his history as a quarterback that keeps him around.

Lol, he peaking Huh? At 3-9, Lol!!!
I’m not laughing at you I am laughing at Nebraska and their fan base.

We all remember how their fans thought when they joined the conference how they would rule over it. Like the tuna commercial “Sorry Charlie!” We play defense in this conference.

nebraska's done.

You can only have so many shit seasons like this before recruiting takes a permanent nosedive. Especially in a flyover state that turns into the arctic circle in the winter. They might have a lucky year now and then, but they are going to be bottom feeders like NW and Illinois from here on out.

Their coach is gone after next year, 6 out of the last 7 seasons have been losing records (including the last 5 in a row), and they haven't been to a bowl in the last 5 years. They have 17 players in the NFL but only 3 start...that's about a 5th of the NFL players they used to have.

nebraska hasn't had a 1st round draft pick since 2011 and haven't even had a 2nd rounder since 2015. How many Iowa guys have gone 1st or 2nd round in that time frame? In the last 5 years they've only had 6 players drafted period, none of them higher than 159th. Only two of those players are on active rosters but neither of those two are on their teams' two-deep.

Top recruits care about NFL possibilities, program success, bowl games, coaching staff stability, and the physical location and environment of their school. nebraska checks none of those five boxes whatsoever, and none of their recruits were even born the last time they were seriously relevant. The only way they ever come back from this is by lucking into a unicorn hire like Swinney or Smart, and that ain't gonna happen in our lifetimes.

nebraska's done.

You can only have so many shit seasons like this before recruiting takes a permanent nosedive. Especially in a flyover state that turns into the arctic circle in the winter. They might have a lucky year now and then, but they are going to be bottom feeders like NW and Illinois from here on out.

Their coach is gone after next year, 6 out of the last 7 seasons have been losing records (including the last 5 in a row), and they haven't been to a bowl in the last 5 years. They have 17 players in the NFL but only 3 start...that's about a 5th of the NFL players they used to have.

nebraska hasn't had a 1st round draft pick since 2011 and haven't even had a 2nd rounder since 2015. How many Iowa guys have gone 1st or 2nd round in that time frame? In the last 5 years they've only had 6 players drafted period, none of them higher than 159th. Only two of those players are on active rosters but neither of those two are on their teams' two-deep.

Top recruits care about NFL possibilities, program success, bowl games, coaching staff stability, and the physical location and environment of their school. nebraska checks none of those five boxes whatsoever, and none of their recruits were even born the last time they were seriously relevant. The only way they ever come back from this is by lucking into a unicorn hire like Swinney or Smart, and that ain't gonna happen in our lifetimes.
Not to mention their second to last bowl game was off a 5-7 season. No bowl inflation like getting a bowl invite when you aren't even eligible. Nebraska never should have left the Big 12. Massive mistake.

Not to mention their second to last bowl game was off a 5-7 season. No bowl inflation like getting a bowl invite when you aren't even eligible. Nebraska never should have left the Big 12. Massive mistake.
LMAO at your comments and Fry’s comments………. all of which is true.

If Iowa can get a QB without accuracy issues, we should always be in the hunt. We were this season with 2 scatter armed QBs, and one of the worst O Lines we have had in awhile.
Yes but man that's a big ask... Really big in todays college football. It took not only an exceptional D but special teams. 2 stud kickers top 5 in all of college football and coverage units. We had a couple guys hurt on D but overall the injury bug didn't hit as bad as it could've.

This yr was a perfect storm of sorts with all those things going our way and the schedule breaking the way it did. I mean the stars were aligned for a lot of this year happening the way it did.

nebraska's done.

It feels like this is dead on. I'd also add on it'd take more then just a big coaching hire. It'd take luck in recruiting right out of the gates. They'd have to hit big on a QB right away. Frost thought he had (who knows maybe with another coach/team Martinez coulda) but that was a swing and a miss all the way around at the end of the day.

Good coaches can't do shit at the end of the day it takes both the Jimmys, Joes and Xs and Os together and since Frost has been there they've lacked both..

Maybe. But we don’t even know if he can throw the ball consistently. I think Wisconsin anointed their one time fresh QB as the greatest ever. How has that turned out?

Maybe. But we don’t even know if he can throw the ball consistently. I think Wisconsin anointed their one time fresh QB as the greatest ever. How has that turned out?
I said it as soon as we found out AM was out; we would make their freshman first start qb look good. And we did.
Time will tell if he can sustain that level of play when teams have film on him.

No, I think he will get other cracks at it if he wants. Don Patterson said (on the voice of Iowa on youtube) that his sense from talking with Kirk is that Kirk feels healthy and really enjoys coaching. He does not seem him leaving anytime soon. He would be shocked if he left after this year.

Now, I personally might be more worried if Iowa beats Michigan and finally wins the Rose Bowl. Perhaps, Kirk might have a change of heart and say that is the perfect ending to his career and turn the reigns (lobbying) over to his son.
Kirk isn't a King and can bestow his title onto his seed... at least I don't think so. Brian is pretty far down on lists of replacements for Kirk should he decide he's ready to retire. Brian doesn't have the experience, endorsements from the money barons, or record for this move. Kirk needs to coach quite a few more years and Brian's offensive numbers improve before that happens. But the powers that be chose Kirk, which was a surprise, he was a relative unknown. Anything can happen I guess.