could these 100 squat

i've torn my acl twice playing football. as cobri66 said, an imbalance of quad to hamstring can lead a greater chance of tearing it. heard that from Dr. Albright at UIHC and the other orthopedic surgeon who fixed my knee.

for some people, it's a freak accident. for me, i got it blown out willis mcgahee sytle. i am sure some people, due to their knee structure, biochemistry, etc are more likely to tear it. seems like running backs sure put a lot more stress on the ligament due to making cuts, stopping.

we have seemed to have quite a few - but to be honest, don't follow other programs as close.

also - in line with your thinking - since we get the under-rated/ blue collar types, perhaps they naturally have to work harder to put on the muscle, they don't have the god given frame of some other schools? some people are supposed to be 250 lbs, some are not.

I had considered that, as well. Some people arent meant to carry so much weight.

When I played college ball we did stuff like this. The main b***** I had about it was that when you had to do so many within a certain time constraint you ended up doing half squats and your form went to heck and resulted in messing up your back which in turn effected your future workouts.

This is actually a valid question, and it gives people like me who forget more about training and the physiology of the human body than most people will ever know, something to ponder.

I say theoretically, yes it could be a contribution. When performing squats in this manner of reaching 100 reps in an alotted amount of time, your form is more than likely going to go to ****. When doing squats properly, they actually do not stress the ligaments inside the knee joint (ACL, MCL, PCL, etc . ). They will put stress on your patella tendon (tendon that connects kneecap to your quad) no matter what. However, when you are concentrating on nothing more than moving the weight, you're prone to let your knees cave inward or go into a "catchers position" at the bottom of the lift. Doing a routine like this on a regular basis can lead to stress on the ACL, which obviously could cause small microtears in the ligament over time that could make an already prone to ACL tear position such as RB, even more prone.

Now, with all of that being said . . . I highly doubt there is any correlation as I know Chris Doyle knows all of this and thensome already. I will guarantee that these 100 rep squats aren't done on weekly basis.

Rediculous question by the OP? not really.
Any correlation between the 100 squats and torn ACL's? Most likely, no.
Squatting (when done correctly) is aimed to work your hamstrings and glutes. Most people are already quad dominate, so squatting is needed to balance the strength in your hamstrings and quads out, thus creating equal "pull" on your ligaments, particularly the ACL. I highly doubt those football players were all squatting incorrectly, especially in a BCS weight room with Doyle as coach.
Now, if this took place in a high school weight room where 90% of the kids are lifting incorrectly, like squatting up on the toes, then I could see a strong correlation. But, not at a big time college S&C program.

And for the record, I have a B.S. Degree in Exercise Science and currently work in a sports performance facility.

Chitown and MattB, thank you both. You guys put it into words better than I could. Having read your posts, It made me realize how I wanted to explain this but didnt do a very good job.

Would either of you care to weigh in on the possible reasons why we seem to have so many injuries? Especially at the RB position?

Its not like there arent other (like) programs that seem to get by just fine with their stable of RBs.

Pretty sure AJ tore his ACL. Wasnt sure about Simmons. Greving had a series of nagging injuries, if I recall. (Ankle and shoulder)

AJ played as a true freshman in '03 (the whole season) before getting kicked out. If you think he was part of the mass ACL debacle of '04 he wasn't even on the team.

Suppose you have a minor strain of a tendon or ligament. Its hard to diagnose because of the extreme soreness associated with the work outs.
You work thru it and deal with the soreness as part of the program of playing college sports. It never heals properly because you never allowed it to. Then 1 good hit finishes it off, even if its 6 months after the fact.
I'm not surprised you didnt read my post carefully. Your interpretation of muscle fatigue meaning the same as structural damage, tells me a lot.

Next question or accusation? Anyone?
I'll spend all day educating anyone that wants to jump in my bunk, like I dont have a clue what I am talking about.
Your 'what if' scenario is moot because even if that sequence of events happens, how would they know previous minor damage was a contributing factor during an injury 6 months later?

Because you cant!
I only say that because I know I cant name one.
You have to admit, its a landslide of leg injuries that we suffer from year to year.
It may have nothing to do with these squat sets but it is a valid question.

It's a valid question if you can say, for example:
Since 2000, the NCAA average for leg injuries on a football team is X and Iowa is at 2X.

Your perception that Iowa suffers more leg injuries does not make your question valid without any sort of evidence that Iowa players suffer these injuries at a higher rate. I'm not arguing either side here; I'm simply pointing out that your hypothesis is lacking facts that could support any sort of cause or correlation.

So you want to have a conversation about a correlation between off season workouts and leg injuries that may or may not exist....

Next can we spend 3 hours discussing the impact of the training table diet of our players on climate change? I mean I don't have anything to support my claim that their diets lead to flatus which contributes to climate change, but it's still a good question right?