Could Stanzi Best Qb in Iowa History?

kdhawkeyes123

It is all there this season...he has a chance to be a Heisman contender, he is nationally known, top 10 preseason team, if all things go well

He could have 3 bowl wins with 2 of them being BCS wins, a 30-4 record or so as a starterm beating #1 ohio state at kinnick to clinch the big ten this year

What do u guys think? or have i been drinking to much kool aid?

You've definately been drinking too much of the kool-aid. But, hey who doesn't want a nice, tall glass of the black and gold?

He has a chance.

If Ricky leads Iowa to a NC then yes the argument is there he is the best because he led Iowa to a NC.

Anything less is debatable.

I like Ricky. He is unquestionably the leader of this team, and he brings so many intagibles to the table with him. But IMO he is not even in the top 5 statistically or historically.

I love ricky to pieces but he's not the best QB in Iowa history....the best QB would not have the turnover problems he has always been plagued with...you can point to his record as a starter but alot of those games are closer then they should be BECAUSE of his picks....but with that said...Gotta love Ricky!! now if he corrects that this season...yes he would be in consideration...because if he fixes his turnover problems...I believe we will be in the BCS again.

Randy Duncan, Chuck Long, and Brad Banks all finished #2 in Heisman voting. Long was the most prolific QB to ever play at Iowa. Can't forget Hartlieb and Rodgers either.

Stanzi will never be considered the "best" QB in school history in terms of proficiency at playing the position. We may never see another QB perform surgery the way Long did (Vandenberg is capable of that, I think).

But that said, if Stanzi were to lead us to an undefeated national title, his final record standing at 31-4, with a 3-0 bowl record (2 BCS wins), he will certainly be considered the one who brought the most success to the program. Winning is all that matters, and Stanzi does that. But he is not the most skilled player to ever step under center here.

Stanzi has been successful because he has had a LOT of help. I respect him as a person and as a player, but he is just not on the same level as Chuck Long. Not even close.

Incidentally, Chuck still looks like he could suit up and play right now. I vote we get him on board as an unofficial assistant (wink wink), and let him dress for games in one of the backups' jerseys.

Stanzi has been successful because he has had a LOT of help. I respect him as a person and as a player, but he is just not on the same level as Chuck Long. Not even close.

Incidentally, Chuck still looks like he could suit up and play right now. I vote we get him on board as an unofficial assistant (wink wink), and let him dress for games in one of the backups' jerseys.

To be fair, Long had some help too. Ronnie Harmon had to be at least pretty close to as good as Greene was (I'm only 20, so I don't know just how good Harmon was). Long didn't do it all by himself. But he's still the class of Iowa QB's, and it's not even close.

His "team" is great and I love Ricky, but I still believe the argument begins and ends with Chuck Long.

Stanzi has a chance to go down as one of the best in Iowa history, because more than anything else, a quarterback is remembered by wins...

He is the first QB to win a BCS caliber bowl game since 1958. In the last 14 games he has started and finished, he is 14-0. He is 18-4 as a starter, one loss being the NW game.

He has a lot to work on, and can get a lot better...he is the first to admit that. His stats won't compare to Chuck and Chuck or Tate...but he has a chance to be the second winning QB in Iowa history if Iowa goes just 7-5 or 8-4

Interesting thought. And to think, Jake had to be pulled kicking and screaming to make way for him to get his chance. Wow

With a strong Sr year (and a 10-2 or better record) Ricky could be on the list with Long, Hartlieb, Duncan but not near the top.
If he puts up some crazy passing numbers and we make the National Title game he'll jump into that group.

Last edited:
Of course Chuck Long is the standard by which all Iowa QBs are measured.

But I think the OP raises a legitimate question. If Stanzi a) gets to the Rose Bowl; b) goes to NYC for the Heisman; and/or c) wins some national awards, one could certainly argue that he is worthy of being in the discussion with Chuck Long, and, at the end of the day would probably garner some consensus that he is the second greatest ever.

But if Stanzi won a Rose Bowl or NC game and/or won the Heisman, I would have to think that he would become generally known as the best ever at Iowa.

More immediately, I'd love to see him blow up this year and make the OSU fans point the "how did this guy get out of Ohio" fingers again this year, which started after Purdue beat OSU and before RS got hurt. Of course, DJK would be a part of the same finger pointing most likely.

If this season broke perfectly for Iowa, ie...they won all the games they are favored in,which is every game leading up to OSU, and then they beat OSU and Minny to close out a clean season, Stanzi would very likely be a Heisman candidate. The Bama rb was not among the favs opening the season last year, and then they went clean and he is the MAN. That award is all about team success these days, and so Ricky could be in the hunt if we are as good as advertised.

Ricky still is in the team picture, and if he has a huge season,and the team does as well, he could move into the #1 slot,imo. Winning is the only thing that matters,and as Craig Krenzel showed, you do not have to be the prettiest girl at the dance to get it done.

Latest posts