Could Kirk have reached out to Jerry Kill?

SwirlinLingerie

Any chance this third candidate for OC - the mystery one - could be Jerry Kill? I'm only trying to entertain myself here, but...

- Kill abruptly stepped down a couple weeks ago and said he won't be a "head coach" again
- He and Kirk are buddies, and it's been clear Kirk has a ton of respect for him
- He fits a similar profile to Chryst and Philbin, older guys who have been head coaches and OCs
- He knows the Big Ten and the type of athletes that Iowa gets; zero learning curve
- He wants to be back in the Midwest
- Copeland played for him and coached with him, and Kill made the connection between Copeland and Kirk
- Kirk loves the guys who did it the hard way, coaching up teams out in the hinterlands
- 100% aligned on personality, program fit, work ethic, etc.

No.

I don't think KF at this time can afford to take that chance. If KF really is staying and coaching, he really has to get this hire right. He really needs a hire to appease the fans and produce.

Would you consider a Philbin or Chryst hire as appeasing fans?
I think more than Kill. I think they would appease some fans but of course not others. I think both those guys have proven themselves in the BIG.

I think with them recruiting of today's players might be the biggest concern. Connecting with the young players.

I think more than Kill. I think they would appease some fans but of course not others. I think both those guys have proven themselves in the BIG.

I think with them recruiting of today's players might be the biggest concern. Connecting with the young players.
My first thought was you are probably right, but I don't know. Chryst got fired in part for having a stagnant offense. Not sure Philbin is much more inspiring either. I just checked, and NMSU finished second in Conference USA in yardage, and the QB threw for 3,000 and ran for almost 1,000. (And he's in the portal). My hope is that all of those 3 are accomplished enough to push back if needed.

What chance is he taking? And do you really think KF gives a flying F+k what a bunch of dudes on a message board think of his hiring? He will hire who he wants to hire. I have no idea if Jerry Kill is an option, but if KF wants him and he wants to come here, it will happen without a thought as to fan angst.

Honestly, short of a guy like Eric Bienemy, the fans will pan the hire regardless. And, no one will know if it was a good hire until a year from now.

Hope not... Not a fan of his. Hell he might croak on the sideline of a seizure at any time. Just never liked that guy so no he can retire to Mexico like he said he would

What chance is he taking? And do you really think KF gives a flying F+k what a bunch of dudes on a message board think of his hiring? He will hire who he wants to hire. I have no idea if Jerry Kill is an option, but if KF wants him and he wants to come here, it will happen without a thought as to fan angst.

Honestly, short of a guy like Eric Bienemy, the fans will pan the hire regardless. And, no one will know if it was a good hire until a year from now.
Or longer…

Hope not... Not a fan of his. Hell he might croak on the sideline of a seizure at any time. Just never liked that guy so no he can retire to Mexico like he said he would
So, what is it about Kill that you don't like? Just curious. When listening to his postgames, I always thought he sounded like a stand-up guy and I always seemed to respect him and his style.

I've always liked and respected Kill. If he has his seizure disorder under good control and is interested, it would be dumb to not at least give him strong consideration. Good coach and good guy.

So, what is it about Kill that you don't like? Just curious. When listening to his postgames, I always thought he sounded like a stand-up guy and I always seemed to respect him and his style.
When he was at MN I just despised him I guess. I didn't think he was ever any good. Where's he really had any success other then the lower levels that's been like 20 plus yrs ago? He seems to wear out his welcome his last handful of gigs. too. Give me Chryst all day over him.

When he was at MN I just despised him I guess. I didn't think he was ever any good. Where's he really had any success other then the lower levels that's been like 20 plus yrs ago? He seems to wear out his welcome his last handful of gigs. too. Give me Chryst all day over him.
Chryst over Kill is certainly a... take. We bring in Chryst and we have an identical offense to what we've seen since 2017 with marginally better situational play calling than what we got from junior. Only chance I see that as a win is if we're overhauling the offensive staff as well. Copeland and Garnett gotta go at a minimum if we aren't making any other offensive changes.

Last edited:
I have no idea if Kill would be a better OC than Chryst (not that Kill is even a candidate). The thing that is attractive to me right now is that Kill seems to have no problem speaking his mind. In fact, he seems unable to not ruffle feathers. I can't imagine him going through stretches of games with five first downs and 70 yards of offense and trying the same shit again next week.

My biggest concern with Chryst is that he is too mild mannered and ultimately will defer to Kirk and simply try to fit in with how things are done at Iowa.

I'm not saying I wouldn't take Chryst over him. I was just curious.

I have no idea if Kill would be a better OC than Chryst (not that Kill is even a candidate). The thing that is attractive to me right now is that Kill seems to have no problem speaking his mind. In fact, he seems unable to not ruffle feathers. I can't imagine him going through stretches of games with five first downs and 70 yards of offense and trying the same shit again next week.

My biggest concern with Chryst is that he is too mild mannered and ultimately will defer to Kirk and simply try to fit in with how things are done at Iowa.
See I don't only because Chryst is a former successful HC himself. He won't want to be just pushed around either he's got an ego. I'm sure he'll get along well by acclimating but he wouldn't be a total yes man I wouldn't think. He was more successful doing what we try to do. He's got Wisconsins recruiting landscape down having relationships with those HS coaches and IL I think he did well there too. He'd be a solid QB coach and overall asset I would think.

Would he be perfect? Probably not because yeah KF will probably have a grip on the reigns to some degree. But Chryst knows what he's doing. Compared to most of the realistic names I've heard tossed around I'd lean his way. But that's just me

As a long time Hawk fan but Wisconsin resident who reads the media here, Chryst is a quietly tough hombre. KF will listen very carefully to him.

Latest posts