could go from 2 seed to the bubble

Here's your answer to the Fran vs Ferentz question about over achieving with certain players.

View attachment 7465

Football also has the aspect of multiple different units being able to carry a team. Basketball doesn't have that. For example we don't have an elite WR or RB corps by SEC/B12 standards, but we have a motherfucker of an OL every year and a defense that wins most of our games. We also have the advantage in football of putting OL, DL, and TEs in the first couple days of the NFL draft which is pretty attractive I'd say. Recruiting in football can be very lopsided (focused on one or two units) and still work out just fine. Another advantage that basketball, especially at Iowa, doesn't have.

Ferentz and Co. is also very consistent with their recruiting. They aren't top 25 every year, but they consistently fill out the report card at a decent place. In football we put multiple very good classes together at the same time. There's no going from 31st to 178th, or 79th to 39th from one year to the next.
If I'm reading that right....looks like Fran's recruiting is shitter compared to Ferentz in football. Guards must really be sinking the boat....somewhat joking here].

Any poll that has Iowa at #5 is worthless.
Quite the contrary. The NET ranking) is anything but worthless. It’s the most important thing in NCAA basketball, more so than any poll or other rating system like Sagarin or Pomeroy. The NET is what determines our seed in the tournament and thus how shitty or awesome the teams we have to play are.

Here’s the order of importance...

Polls like coaches/AP—worthless as hen shit on a pump handle.

Sagarin, Pomeroy —useful if you bet money, zero bearing on anything else.

NET Ranking—the only thing the Hawkeyes or any other team care about because it has a major effect on the season.

Last edited:
Quite the contrary. The NET ranking (which is the one that has us at #5) is anything but worthless. It’s the most important thing in NCAA basketball, more so than any poll or other rating system like Sagarin or Pomeroy. The NET is what determines our seed in the tournament and thus how shitty or awesome the teams we have to play are.

NET Ranking—the only thing the Hawkeyes or any other team care about because it has a major effect on the season.
By “worthless” I mean there’s no way Iowa is the 5th best team in the country. I can’t imagine that you believe otherwise?

Quite the contrary. The NET ranking (which is the one that has us at #5) is anything but worthless. It’s the most important thing in NCAA basketball, more so than any poll or other rating system like Sagarin or Pomeroy. The NET is what determines our seed in the tournament and thus how shitty or awesome the teams we have to play are.

Agree.

By “worthless” I mean there’s no way Iowa is the 5th best team in the country. I can’t imagine that you believe otherwise?
The point is we’re sitting at 10 in NET which is a 3 seed. WeI’ve been hosed many times over the years with our seeds. If the NCAA says 3 I will take it.

Personally I think 2 and 3 are equal. It’s 4/5 that must be avoided. A 6 is more desirable IMO.

The point is we’re sitting at 10 in NET which is a 3 seed. WeI’ve been hosed many times over the years with our seeds. If the NCAA says 3 I will take it.

Personally I think 2 and 3 are equal. It’s 4/5 that must be avoided. A 6 is more desirable IMO.
I think as long as we aren't in Baylor's bracket I'm OK with meeting the 1 seed a round earlier. Meaning a 4/5 is better than a 6. Most years I would agree with you on that tho.

The wheels are off and Iowa is slumping. A lot of teams go through that. I am not going to pretend that I know what's going to happen. All I can say is there are no layups on the schedule other than the 2 against Nebraska. Iowa is not fine. They aren't in trouble either. If Iowa goes on a tear and wins some games over the next 3 weeks, this will all go away. If it doesn't, Iowa fans are going to be pissed and understandably so. Get it figured out. Until they do, I won't consider this team more than a 1 and done team and my expectations are higher this season. My only hope is that this teams best basketball is still in front of it. I have doubts that it is.
Man this is a bump in the road, every team goes through them, it's like last year where we had to learn to play without CJ, they will, or CJ comes back. I expect a win tomorrow night and our bench to play a big part of it. One game at a time, win as many as possible, and peak for the tourney. No Big title, Iowa never wins a title in football or basketball when we expect them to, it's always when we don't. I believe this team will rebound and win two or three of their next games.

Man this is a bump in the road, every team goes through them, it's like last year where we had to learn to play without CJ, they will, or CJ comes back. I expect a win tomorrow night and our bench to play a big part of it. One game at a time, win as many as possible, and peak for the tourney. No Big title, Iowa never wins a title in football or basketball when we expect them to, it's always when we don't. I believe this team will rebound and win two or three of their next games.
Slowing Harper down would be a good place to start. He has gone off in CHA his last two visits.

1st things first, I'm not in favor of replacing Fran. Just for full disclosure.

But, if you're going to call people out for being trolls when they suggest Iowa might not be attractive to better coaches you kinda have to back up your statement.

Who are some suggestions for people you think would be better at the job and willing to come here.? I realize you can't read their minds, but who is it you think would be willing to take over the keys? Maybe Iowa can terminate Fran and go hire a guy who kicked ass at a school like Butler for a few years. That's always a sure bet.:rolleyes:
LOL that's funny. I'm not for ousting Fran either I DO think we need a critical assessment when his current contract is coming due and honestly ask is this where we want things to be and graduation rates, everything should be considered. Your comment regarding Lick while true in our case is false to say it never works. Look at Oates from Buffalo to Alabama. Shaka Smart VCU to Texas so each case is individual. Anytime you switch you could get worse...you can be better how do you know? You don't.

A couple of reporters have noted that CJ's absence has had big impact. I agree especially when JBo struggles as well.

Latest posts