Cordell Pemsl has Season-Ending Surgery

Cordell Pemsl Has Season Ending Surgery

IOWA CITY, Iowa -- University of Iowa men’s basketball junior forward Cordell Pemsl underwent season-ending surgery Tuesday afternoon. The announcement came Tuesday by head coach Fran McCaffery.

“Cordell’s procedure removed hardware near his knee from a previous surgery when he was in high school,” said McCaffery.

Pemsl (6-foot-8, 230 pounds) has seen action in only two games this season, playing 13 minutes against UMKC (Nov. 8) and 18 minutes versus Iowa State (Dec. 6).

“I tried to give playing this season another shot in the Iowa State game, but after a week of rest and recovery, the chronic irritation caused by the hardware has remained resulting in my inability to play in Saturday’s game versus UNI. After further discussions with the medical staff, we determined that the best course of action is to correct the problem at this time.”

The native of Dubuque, Iowa, has played in 68 career games, averaging 7.2 points and 4.7 rebounds per game.

They kinda make it sound like his original procedure was botched and they had to go in and correct it. Am I getting that right or was it just a fluke thing where some screw came loose

Pretty common for screws to come out over time.

source: I take x-rays for a living

We have seen this a bit in the NBA just recently. Both Gordon Hayward and Kyrie Irving had to have repeat surgeries to remove hardware that was causing irritation.

They kinda make it sound like his original procedure was botched and they had to go in and correct it. Am I getting that right or was it just a fluke thing where some screw came loose
The original surgery, from high school, was risky to begin with. They had to realign (break) his femur and change the angle that the upper part of his leg was coming into the knee joint. Before it was coming in at just odd enough of an angle to cause all the problems. Imagine trying to play basketball when additional stress is being placed on the knee joint with every step, every jump.

If they didn't know how to shut Cordell down, that's their problem. Cordell has weaknesses in his game. ISU never exploited them.

Jack “screws loose” for 500 please? The fans of this former Big Eight school have long had delusions of how good their sports programs have been for decades even though they haven’t won anything. “What is Iowa State, Jack?” “That is correct!”

The original surgery, from high school, was risky to begin with. They had to realign (break) his femur and change the angle that the upper part of his leg was coming into the knee joint. Before it was coming in at just odd enough of an angle to cause all the problems. Imagine trying to play basketball when additional stress is being placed on the knee joint with every step, every jump.

I had my tibia realigned. Its serious stuff. It doesnt come loose but I'd guess his extra weight doesnt help. The knee never works right again after that magnitude of injury and surgery.

To get the stuff out the incession may be bigger than the first

Took me 3 years to get comfortable and didnt peak for 5. Never got close to original. Which knee is it? Might explain why he quit jump shots.

I had my tibia realigned. Its serious stuff. It doesnt come loose but I'd guess his extra weight doesnt help. The knee never works right again after that magnitude of injury and surgery.

Took me 3 years to get comfortable and didnt peak for 5. Never got close to original. Which knee is it? Might explain why he quit jump shots.

Made a nice jumper from 10-12 feet against ISU.

5c0a22d7a7617.image.jpg

Has he already used his redshirt? Does he get a medical redshirt?
He has not and under today's rules he should.

There was a time when you could not take a medical redshirt if you played past the quarter point of the season. Among others, this doomed Al Lorenzen in 1988 when his back shut him down. Now, it sounds like you can apply if you play in less than a quarter of your games but I'm still not completely sure on that.

Femur breaks in athletic competition are very rare but very severe. I think I remember a ollege football player in the 2000's suffering a coumpound fracture of femur (ouch)

Athletes most susceptible to them are gymnasts and track hurdlers. I've heard several incidents of athletes breaking the femur when their leg gets tangled up in a hurdle. A girl here in Wisconsin once clipped a hurdle with her heel and it threw her stride off to the point where she put enormous torque on her calf area and it snapped her femur.