Copeland not returning

The Iowa OC isn’t choosing squat in regards to starting while KF is in town.

The naïveté here when it comes to Iowa football is pretty astounding.

Kirk is that controlling that he wouldn’t let a new OC choose any of the offensive related coaches or want to bring with him assistance coaches that he likes? I know there is a protocol that the University has to go through but that thinking could set up a no win situation for a new OC. How can you hold a new OC accountable for anything if they don’t have any say on anything?

“Here are your assistants and here is the thirty plays I want you to call while you are here.” “By the way only chew this type of gum when walking the sidelines.”

What independent thinking coach would want to step into this type of mess?

I suppose for a million and a half dollars a year many would. I know Brian only got about half that but many coordinators for most successful programs are getting that much.

Last edited:
KC has been trying to exit for a few years, pretty much since Foster and Polasek took off as the trio came in together.

He did not help his standing with KF with his comments last year about how hard it is to recruit receivers to Iowa, even though he's right.

I know that was shocking when he said that. In Kirk Ferentz's world for someone to say that...wow.

Rob do you wonder if Kirk is having a hard time attracting quality candidates who are interested?

I'll speculate that there are Interested but not qualified candidates, then those who are qualified but won't even talk to Kirk on first inquiry from 3rd party, or qualified but walk away uninterested after talking with him.

If its the second option, it confirms a concern I've had that this offense ,came with it reputational risk as well as W/L risk.

I know that was shocking when he said that. In Kirk Ferentz's world for someone to say that...wow.

Rob do you wonder if Kirk is having a hard time attracting quality candidates who are interested?

I'll speculate that there are Interested but not qualified candidates, then those who are qualified but won't even talk to Kirk on first inquiry from 3rd party, or qualified but walk away uninterested after talking with him.

If its the second option, it confirms a concern I've had that this offense ,came with it reputational risk as well as W/L risk.

Honestly, I don't know. KF has been pretty open about wanting someone that is committed to playing complementary football, which he reiterated as recently as during bowl week. I would think that will scare some candidates off, but that's just me speculating.

Maybe give Marvin McNutt a shot. He at least knows the hurdles he must overcome.

Although, his comments from this article could take him out of the running.

Kluver could probably get a job at Iowa if he ever wants to expand beyond the Washed Up White Guys pod.
Thanks for sharing the ESPN article again. One aspect I haven't heard discussed much - do we know if there are any black candidates for the OC position? I haven't heard any, at least not among the few candidates we all keep discussing.

I know things might be a little dicey between them right now, but I think Goetz should insist that Kirk seriously interview at least one black candidate.

25 years and no black coordinator yet under him. I know he elevated Woods, but that only sort of counts. He makes a fraction of what the two primary coordinators make, and it's not nearly as good of a springboard to a better opportunity (like being a head coach somewhere).

Kirk is obviously likely to only hire a coach he "trusts" - be it through his own relationship with the person or because his colleagues/friends have been around this person for years. Not that hard to see how unfair hiring practices perpetuate themselves. Maybe he's reached out to a black candidate or two. I hope so.

@RobHowe Seems to me that complementary football is an outcome more than a scheme. Where you don't leave the defense hanging in bad field position and opposite for O . and positive time of position.

I think the antithesis of this is throwing 3 incompletions in a row and punting or scoring on first down. not resting the defense. But nobody ever defines complementary offense

Seems like any scheme could be complementary. maybe a good article for the offseason

Maybe give Marvin McNutt a shot. He at least knows the hurdles he must overcome.

Although, his comments from this article could take him out of the running.

Kluver could probably get a job at Iowa if he ever wants to expand beyond the Washed Up White Guys pod.

Zoolander - That's what I'm talking about! on Make a GIF

You hire Kluver and you'll alienate even more Black alumni of the program than are already estranged.

Like Fry said, the lack of understanding and awareness by some fans in regards to this program is astounding.
So the whole "Washed up White guys" line was a shot you took at him... Damn... I've listened to some of their stuff . I remember them having lots of different guys on to interview over the years and specifically to talk about that issue. But I don't get what you taking a shot at them would be about.

So feel free to educate us. What's Kluver done to estrange black alumni?

@RobHowe Seems to me that complementary football is an outcome more than a scheme. Where you don't leave the defense hanging in bad field position and opposite for O . and positive time of position.

I think the antithesis of this is throwing 3 incompletions in a row and punting or scoring on first down. not resting the defense. But nobody ever defines complementary offense

Seems like any scheme could be complementary. maybe a good article for the offseason
Well said. KF is always vague when trying to explain that. I think winning the TOP and field position battles mean more to him then really attacking a defense to score is. I would include not turning it over but he kept putting Hill out there all of last yr so that must not be the case anymore.

Honestly, I don't know. KF has been pretty open about wanting someone that is committed to playing complementary football, which he reiterated as recently as during bowl week. I would think that will scare some candidates off, but that's just me speculating.
Especially when you consider Kirk believes what we have seen for the last few years IS complementary football.

So the whole "Washed up White guys" line was a shot you took at him... Damn... I've listened to some of their stuff . I remember them having lots of different guys on to interview over the years and specifically to talk about that issue. But I don't get what you taking a shot at them would be about.

So feel free to educate us. What's Kluver done to estrange black alumni?
Listening to their podcast I got the impression that the Washed Up guys didn't have a lot interaction or at least friendships with their black team mates. I don't know that that's true, just the impression I got from listening. From my life experience, many African Americans have to really trust you to talk about racial issues.

Listening to their podcast I got the impression that the Washed Up guys didn't have a lot interaction or at least friendships with their black team mates. I don't know that that's true, just the impression I got from listening. From my life experience, many African Americans have to really trust you to talk about racial issues.
I can't remember everything I'd even heard but they had several black teammates on their shows I thought. It's been 2 or 3 yrs ago already I bet since they did those. I know that they didn't seem to get along with Wadley. But it sounds like he was a total tool. They may have spoke about Martin Manley back when he was screwing over fans too with his merch by taking $ and not providing the stuff. Beyond that I can't remember who all they may have talked about it's just been awhile.

I'm just curious what was up with Robs passive aggressive shot at them like that was all about. Had they recently said something to or about Rob or what? He doesn't seem to want to say.

I'd be happy to discuss it over a beer. I ain't doing it on here. We don't care for each other. I'll leave it at that.

2017 Iowa Football Leadership Group.png

I can't remember everything I'd even heard but they had several black teammates on their shows I thought. It's been 2 or 3 yrs ago already I bet since they did those. I know that they didn't seem to get along with Wadley. But it sounds like he was a total tool. They may have spoke about Martin Manley back when he was screwing over fans too with his merch by taking $ and not providing the stuff. Beyond that I can't remember who all they may have talked about it's just been awhile.

I'm just curious what was up with Robs passive aggressive shot at them like that was all about. Had they recently said something to or about Rob or what? He doesn't seem to want to say.

Here is what I remember or inferred...

I am sure the WUWs had plenty of friends from all backgrounds on the team, that is what teams normally are. I remember Drake talking about how he and Akrum were boys. When the racial allegations came out, the WUWs tried to grapple with it in a sincere way, but it was clear their loyalty was with coaches and Doyle more than their black teammates. They had James Daniels and Jordan Lomax on to discuss the issues, but they did not really let those 2 speak freely. I don't think there was anything malicious about it, just 3 inexperienced podcasters with a biased perspective not doing a great job of facilitating a difficult conversation.

Because they were less critical of the football program than most in the media, and because they had inside perspective, people flocked to them. People wanting to be told that their favorite sports team was doing things just fine, and it was a handful of disgruntled players who were the problem. Some of the uglier elements of any fanbase. You know the types, the ones who will readily deny or dismiss away anything that is negative toward their favorite sports team.

That attention seemed to push them further in the direction of, "The coaches did nothing wrong!" Rob, as one of the local journalists willing to criticize how the program failed to address this problem until it was thrown in their face, has come under direct attack by them (and I am sure by their followers).

I think the growth of their media enterprise is impressive, and I am especially impressed by some of their charitable contributions. But I do not like how they have conducted their business along the way. I thought their crudeness bordering on offensiveness was off putting, but I still occasionally listened. But they had one episode within which they called a local reporter a c___ for reporting on specifics of KF's salary after the COVID year. I packed it in at that point. I occasionally stumble across some of their rantings on twitter, which convinces me I made the right decision (the statement below was from Drake Kulick, directed toward Beth Goetz).

1705438751220.png

It just befuddles me that KF doesn't seem to get it at times. He's so hell bent on ball control, expected/calculated results that it ends up being adverse to his goal. You can have a team with a more loose, flexible, different offense that can move the ball just as well or better than the current tightened ship he's been running for 25 years. I mean the other day it took something like 14 plays to go 40 yards. I literally chuckled out loud when watching when I heard that. What teams takes 14 plays to go 40 yrds?

What KF fails to understand is the same result can be had with a more aggressive offense. That offense (I.E. The Go Go offense) could move the same 40 yrds in 7 plays so is still moving the offense to flip the field with Iowa's usually great punting. It can still be complimentary football and risk free as much what he would like his current system to be. In addition, it puts more pressure on the opposing defense.

If we didn’t have a WR coach could we tell a difference?
No. It's comparable to saying the last two years Iowa could literally pull a guy off the street to run the offense or call plays and would not have any worse outcome. Somebody said that on here and I thought about it and said to myself.......................damn, he's right!

Latest posts