Cooper DeJean and Lukas Van Ness

MelroseHawkins

............are freaking studs!

What an impressive interception. DeJean looks to have great hands. I think they need to try to get the ball in his hands more. He looks solid on punt return as well. He's making good decisions and securing the ball on punts. I realize there is a chance to return there, but I'd like to see him some on offense to get the ball in his hands as I think he runs well in space as seen on his INT return. He has receiving experience when in HS as well.

Van Ness is just a beast on that D-line. I like his nastiness and the hits he's putting on QB's. He always seems to be in the QB's mug. That entire D-line is terrific.

............are freaking studs!

What an impressive interception. DeJean looks to have great hands. I think they need to try to get the ball in his hands more. He looks solid on punt return as well. He's making good decisions and securing the ball on punts. I realize there is a chance to return there, but I'd like to see him some on offense to get the ball in his hands as I think he runs well in space as seen on his INT return. He has receiving experience when in HS as well.

Van Ness is just a beast on that D-line. I like his nastiness and the hits he's putting on QB's. He always seems to be in the QB's mug. That entire D-line is terrific.
We've got a lot of dudes on that side of the ball, it's almost like it was by design or we constructed it that way with intention. I don't think that could be true tho.

We've got a lot of dudes on that side of the ball, it's almost like it was by design or we constructed it that way with intention. I don't think that could be true tho.

It is a luxury to have depth on the line, even more of a luxury quality young depth.

Last edited:
I remember Tim Dwight as a fresh and soph, he was out there making plays. Looked natural. #3 reminds me of TD
He seems to have that freaky athleticism but on top of that seems to be a smart and heady player who reads and reacts fast. Great combination of talents and attributes. Glad he's seeing the field.

Damn, one would think he'd be money at WR. I bet you he'd be able to create separation. I wouldn't be surprised to see him make that move in the future, to be honest.

Love both them dudes. Van Ness is like a less nutty version of Matt Roth. Just an absolute game wrecker. I thought he kinda got lucky a couple times with how he landed on top of the QB after blasting him. They like to call that roughing now when to me it's football (give that QB some props in regards to toughness. He kept getting up and our guys put him down a boat load of times)

Love both them dudes. Van Ness is like a less nutty version of Matt Roth. Just an absolute game wrecker. I thought he kinda got lucky a couple times with how he landed on top of the QB after blasting him. They like to call that roughing now when to me it's football (give that QB some props in regards to toughness. He kept getting up and our guys put him down a boat load of times)
I was concerned about the hits to the QB as well. Not that they were late, but he (and a couple of others too) was driving them into the ground on the hit. Really surprised we did not get called at least once for that. I'm sure the coaches will be all over that in their film study.

That being said, good problem to have and it can be fixed. Van Ness looks like he's the strongest player on the field. What a freakish athlete!

You may remember when Kordell Stewart was in college, they called him "Slash" because he could play QB/WR/RB.

Cooper could be our version of Slash. LB/CB/Nickel/Cash/S/KR/PR/QB/RB/WR/OC

He will score more on defense.

And actually they might be looking out for his future and might peg him at d-back in the NFL. They have to keep the players interest in mind to and what is best for them. WR in the NFL might not give him the best chance as the odds go down.

Last edited:
I was concerned about the hits to the QB as well. Not that they were late, but he (and a couple of others too) was driving them into the ground on the hit. Really surprised we did not get called at least once for that. I'm sure the coaches will be all over that in their film study.

That being said, good problem to have and it can be fixed. Van Ness looks like he's the strongest player on the field. What a freakish athlete!

I don't know if they were so much driving them. They are big guys. Referees have to know sometimes guys just can't stop the momentum. Actually, if they do try to stop they prob risk injury more to themselves. What I saw was them landing on the QB and not so much driving them into the ground.

Now, to be honest, the occasional penalty on a relatively legal hit is not all that bad depending on where the game is at and distance and down. That can get into the QB's head. I'm not talking dirty late hits but the play where the defender might be able to hold up but doesn't taking the chance. All legal plays in my book.

I don't know if they were so much driving them. They are big guys. Referees have to know sometimes guys just can't stop the momentum. Actually, if they do try to stop they prob risk injury more to themselves. What I saw was them landing on the QB and not so much driving them into the ground.

Now, to be honest, the occasional penalty on a relatively legal hit is not all that bad depending on where the game is at and distance and down. That can get into the QB's head. I'm not talking dirty late hits but the play where the defender might be able to hold up but doesn't taking the chance. All legal plays in my book.
I had forgotten but when I went back and watched the game on replay, Logan Lee actually did get called for just that, driving him into the ground. It was a 15 yard personal foul penalty. I think that call was kind of a culmination of a few others that were close.

I had forgotten but when I went back and watched the game on replay, Logan Lee actually did get called for just that, driving him into the ground. It was a 15 yard personal foul penalty. I think that call was kind of a culmination of a few others that were close.

And I thought it was the weakest of the bunch. But some of the others certainly could have been called, as well. That rule puts the pass rushers in a tough spot, but it is what it is.