cool story brah

Gotcha used to go to Tucks place over there. Favorite was going to Fitzzies on Wednesday nights for 2$ pints of Watneys. Pre expansion when the bar was still on the south side of the room

Yep! Guaranteed our paths crossed there. I was basically a permanent resident of the beer garden @ Fitzie's in 85-86-87.
I think it started to go downhill when Gary decided to relocate the bar to the north side of the space...and thought it should also be a microbrewery. :(

Grunts Bar & Grill in Iowa City...it used to have a picture of a rowdy warthog. Iowa Football players used to go there often. Purple Cow, Bob's Place, and The Homeplate Lounge in North Liberty. Mystery Pizza still there in IC? Rocky Rococoa's Pizza, 'Lil Red Barn in Coralville...Kum-N-Go convienence stores? Just trying to remember somelong ago places brah/bro ham lol. Do you like the movie Urban Cowboy?..."hey tattoo, see this? This here's called a weddin' ring!!" hahaha lol

three more cool stories for my brah.

the vine used to have a pa for when they got busy they would take names for the seating list. anyway I lived there from 1995 to 1999. one Thursdau night around 930 pm I'm playing pool and the bartender gets on the PA and says "Duff, your mommies on the phone." this was pre-cell phone and evidently she had been trying to reach me at home for days. so I hopped on the phone next to Geralds stool and tked to her, then promptly went back to my pool table.

Gotcha used to go to Tucks place over there. Favorite was going to Fitzzies on Wednesday nights for 2$ pints of Watneys. Pre expansion when the bar was still on the south side of the room
Yep! Guaranteed our paths crossed there. I was basically a permanent resident of the beer garden @ Fitzie's in 85-86-87.I think it started to go downhill when Gary decided to relocate the bar to the north side of the space...and thought it should also be a microbrewery. :(

No doubt I lived @ ralston creek in 85/86 spent too much time @ Fitzzies

OMG, you guys are killing me. Brain cells long dead vibrating with lost memories. BC and mtv, lol, it worked. Riding round IC with windows down to find another after hours party. Duff, pre cell phone days, I can't imagine, yet I can, especially at the Vine, does Costello ring a bell anyone who played pool there?

Unfortunately we also had Burger Palace (Robes worked there), terrible food. What about "Smiley" with all his buttons. Hamburg Inn II, yum, and Pagglias (sp) Pizza. And of course for ***** and grins, The Pepper (of Beast fame) in Coralville on tuesdays was special for its free beer, and another hangout for "secret" dates was the bar at the Canterbury Inn.

Yeah, IC is a great place, then and now. Bathroom stall doors was a great invention...and through it all...Kinnick and the grass lot rocked!

Bob, I take back all the nasty stuff I've posted at you over the years. You are truly my brother from another mother (as are COHawkeye and others in here).
We have the same memories. It's quite weird and a bit unsettling. :D

Wait. You REMEMBER that stuff? I'm working off my rap sheet!

Ah, Watney's...$1.50 on Thursdays back in the day.

Fitz's ruled, especially that hot bartender/waitress back in early '80s. She used tro make up drinks for us when we got bored. Summer of 1984, talking CUBS with Gary (a k a "Fitz") and just waiting for them to blow it!

Yep! Guaranteed our paths crossed there. I was basically a permanent resident of the beer garden @ Fitzie's in 85-86-87.
I think it started to go downhill when Gary decided to relocate the bar to the north side of the space...and thought it should also be a microbrewery. :(

I was crushed when I hear that. Why, Fitz, why?

OMG, you guys are killing me. Brain cells long dead vibrating with lost memories. BC and mtv, lol, it worked. Riding round IC with windows down to find another after hours party. Duff, pre cell phone days, I can't imagine, yet I can, especially at the Vine, does Costello ring a bell anyone who played pool there?

Unfortunately we also had Burger Palace (Robes worked there), terrible food. What about "Smiley" with all his buttons. Hamburg Inn II, yum, and Pagglias (sp) Pizza. And of course for ***** and grins, The Pepper (of Beast fame) in Coralville on tuesdays was special for its free beer, and another hangout for "secret" dates was the bar at the Canterbury Inn.

Yeah, IC is a great place, then and now. Bathroom stall doors was a great invention...and through it all...Kinnick and the grass lot rocked!

I forgot House of Lords at Canterbury Inn. Thanks for the Burger Palace "jolt". It was almost gone forever until YOU brought it back!

Both the Canterbury and the sister property (can't remember the name) had a deal on Sunday nights in winter: half off their "suites". You could get a room for one night for around $35, complete with four-poster bed, jacuzzi, etc.
It was a great alternative to routine apartment sex. :cool::D

Both the Canterbury and the sister property (can't remember the name) had a deal on Sunday nights in winter: half off their "suites". You could get a room for one night for around $35, complete with four-poster bed, jacuzzi, etc.
It was a great alternative to routine apartment sex. :cool::D

Yeah, WTH WAS that sister property? I remember the bar/restaurant on the corner was the Greenbriar.

Was it The Abbey, maybe?

And, yes, that half-price deal was popular!

Yeah, WTH WAS that sister property? I remember the bar/restaurant on the corner was the Greenbriar.

Was it The Abbey, maybe?

And, yes, that half-price deal was popular!

The Abbey sounds right. The Greenbriar, while it lasted, was a terrific restaurant. The steamed artichoke appetizer was a home run every time. Mmmm... :)
I think the Greenbriar building still stands, but obviously that entire intersection is different than it was 25-30 years ago.
Progress? :confused:

The Abbey sounds right. The Greenbriar, while it lasted, was a terrific restaurant. The steamed artichoke appetizer was a home run every time. Mmmm... :)
I think the Greenbriar building still stands, but obviously that entire intersection is different than it was 25-30 years ago.
Progress? :confused:

<<Progress?>>

And some serious flooding!

Latest posts