cool story brah

you punks
I dribbled more beer down my chin at the original IC Vine (c. 1983-1987) than you posers will drink in a lifetime.
And Fitzpatrick's of that era was teh ballz, too.
I feel sorry for so many of you who never experienced IC before the Law-Hammer dropped about age and PAULA and open containers and what you could and could not have at your tailgate on U property. Downtown and game days are so freakin' stifled and paranoid now.
It used to be fun, and no, it wasn't a disgusting melee - my generation was really good at policing ourselves.
/bitter old-timer rant

I have about 4 years on you, and can attest to what Fitz's, et. al, USED to be back then. Do you remember (kind of catch-22, here) when Diamond Dave's had mixed pitchers for $3.60 on Monday nights? Fun...but dangerous!

I have few regrets in life, not dragging school out a fifth year in IC is one of them.

Besides, you ain't lived until you dueced at the vine with no stall dividers and no door (it was their best Kinnick imitation), between 2$ pitchers and long sessions of pool. What great memories of lost weekends at the vine.

Deucing at The Fieldhouse or Kinnick may just be the most demeaning-but-character-building things we ever had to do.

Of course, maintaining pulmonary health while using the **** trough at Gabe's was also approaching the super-human...

Think any of these little scrotes ever had the stones to go tubing at 6:15am with the remnants of a keg dispensed into a stockpot because they couldn't wait for the bars to re-open?

I forgot all about how awful diamond daves was.

Yeah, but those Monday night mixed-drink pitcher nights were killer...literally, I suspect.

That "corner" of Old Capitol Center (Diamond Dave's, Arby's, All-American Deli) may have been the most bio-diverse of any shopping center in the world. One should have to advise visiting there before being allowed to donate blood.

Good memories, here. I always remember a guy that used to play guitar at The Vine once or twice a week. Just him and his acoustic, playing popular tunes and keeping everyone entertained. Lots of chicks usually showed up.

Wednesday night nickel draws at Dooley's...nothing like getting hammered for a couple of bucks.

Mama's and Deadwood were also frequent stops for me...those were the days.

Good memories, here. I always remember a guy that used to play guitar at The Vine once or twice a week. Just him and his acoustic, playing popular tunes and keeping everyone entertained. Lots of chicks usually showed up.

Wednesday night nickel draws at Dooley's...nothing like getting hammered for a couple of bucks.

Mama's and Deadwood were also frequent stops for me...those were the days.

You spelled it wrong: it was called Drooley's. Goddam long staircase was tuff to navigate after slamming hella amounts of beer.
Ever hit Magoo's? Stonewalls? Those were good funky spots in my day.

I have few regrets in life, not dragging school out a fifth year in IC is one of them. Besides, you ain't lived until you dueced at the vine with no stall dividers and no door (it was their best Kinnick imitation), between 2$ pitchers and long sessions of pool. What great memories of lost weekends at the vine.
Deucing at The Fieldhouse or Kinnick m
ay just be the most demeaning-but-character-building things we ever had to do_Of course, maintaining pulmonary health while using the **** trough at Gabe's was also approaching the super-human...Think any of these little scrotes ever had the stones to go tubing at 6:15am with the remnants of a keg
dispensed into a stockpot because
they couldn't wait for the bars to re-open?

Well, I believe bowling was thrown out at 5:00 AM. Lol. not to mention carrying the tubes and stockpot on the Nighthawk to get upriver!

And Vin just beat me to the punch on Magoo's.

Alright, I am having flashbacks now.

Here are a few:

The "preacher" on the Pentacrest screaming at everyone in between classes, calling them whores and whore mongers (and getting equal criticism back from the students).

The guy with Torret's who would yell unrepeatable things at the most inopportune times. Dude almost got me beat up once because the group he yelled at thought I was with him.

Secret Pizza

Botas in Kinnick

Last edited:
Good memories, here. I always remember a guy that used to play guitar at The Vine once or twice a week. Just him and his acoustic, playing popular tunes and keeping everyone entertained. Lots of chicks usually showed up.Wednesday night nickel draws at Dooley's...nothing like getting hammered for a couple of bucks.Mama's and Deadwood were also frequent stops for me...those were the days.
You spelled it wrong: it was called Drooley's. Goddam long staircase was tuff to navigate after slamming hella amounts of beer.Ever hit Magoo's? Stonewalls? Those were good funky spots in my day.

Dooleys ... 2 floors of fun. Stonewalls was a great place to take someone else girlfriend out for drinks. for the life of me i can't remember where magoos was though ?

You spelled it wrong: it was called Drooley's. Goddam long staircase was tuff to navigate after slamming hella amounts of beer.
Ever hit Magoo's? Stonewalls? Those were good funky spots in my day.

I'm not sure what was worse, banging he&& out of my shins on the way up (BEFORE it was Dooley's, BTW, we're talking Star Port and Control Tower), or multi-slips on the way down taking a toll on the ankles.

Here are a few:

The "preacher" on the Pentacrest screaming at everyone in between classes, calling them whores and whore mongers (and getting equal criticism back from the students).

The guy with Torret's who would yell unrepeatable things at the most inopportune times. Dude almost got me beat up once because the group he yelled at thought I was with him.

Secret Pizza

Botas in Kinnick

Bow your head when ye speak of Brother Jed, a k a, George "Jed" Smock. That guy ruled. Best excuse for blowing off class at the last minute to catch his stuff.

Well, I believe bowling was thrown out at 5:00 AM. Lol. not to mention carrying the tubes and stockpot on the Nighthawk to get upriver!

And Vin just beat me to the punch on Magoo's.

Bowling required WAY too much effort just to get beers!

My fave "off-the-path" places:
--The Weirdo Block (George's, Magoos, Tuck's Place, Dave's Foxhead)
--Fitz's and The Vine before the proles all started making them Joe-Jackson-uptown
--Diamond Mil's and The Nickelodeon (when it moved to Coralville). "Sturdy" worked at Nickelodeon my last year there. (And yes, he has passed on to that Tailgate-In-The-Sky)

Places people thought were "avant-garde" but really weren't:
--Copper Dollar/The Loft
--Gabe's
--Crow's Nest
--Deadwood

Mickey's gets a pass for having that Conglomeration sandwich special one of the week nights. But, once Mondo opened Vito's and all those, IC went screw-y, wearing jazz shoes and Members Only jackets, coming home from Spring Break in Florida and ordering "oyster shooters", and worst of all, adopting the Bryan C pick-up line of, "Want to come to our place and watch some MTV?"

Of course, you can tell how old we are, other than Fitz's/The Vine, NObody went to bars south of Burlington Street. Now it's "in" and what not.

Here are a few:

Secret Pizza

Botas in Kinnick

We had a "preacher" outside of the library during VEISHEA. I had no clue that so many people were going straight to hell!! Just straight entertainment between classes.

Dooleys ... 2 floors of fun. Stonewalls was a great place to take someone else girlfriend out for drinks. for the life of me i can't remember where magoos was though ?

Magoo's was on Linn St, coupla doors down from Hamburg Inn. It was a classic tavern (read: it was a dump with cheap booze).
GREAT place. Many memories for me.

Bowling required WAY too much effort just to get beers!

My fave "off-the-path" places:
--The Weirdo Block (George's, Magoos, Tuck's Place, Dave's Foxhead)
--Fitz's and The Vine before the proles all started making them Joe-Jackson-uptown
--Diamond Mil's and The Nickelodeon (when it moved to Coralville). "Sturdy" worked at Nickelodeon my last year there. (And yes, he has passed on to that Tailgate-In-The-Sky)

Places people thought were "avant-garde" but really weren't:
--Copper Dollar/The Loft
--Gabe's
--Crow's Nest
--Deadwood

Mickey's gets a pass for having that Conglomeration sandwich special one of the week nights. But, once Mondo opened Vito's and all those, IC went screw-y, wearing jazz shoes and Members Only jackets, coming home from Spring Break in Florida and ordering "oyster shooters", and worst of all, adopting the Bryan C pick-up line of, "Want to come to our place and watch some MTV?"

Of course, you can tell how old we are, other than Fitz's/The Vine, NObody went to bars south of Burlington Street. Now it's "in" and what not.

Bob, I take back all the nasty stuff I've posted at you over the years. You are truly my brother from another mother (as are COHawkeye and others in here).
We have the same memories. It's quite weird and a bit unsettling. :D

Magoo's was on Linn St, coupla doors down from Hamburg Inn. It was a classic tavern (read: it was a dump with cheap booze).GREAT place. Many memories for me.

Gotcha used to go to Tucks place over there. Favorite was going to Fitzzies on Wednesday nights for 2$ pints of Watneys. Pre expansion when the bar was still on the south side of the room

Latest posts