Cool NFL Draft vs Recruiting Ranking Matrix, Good for Iowa

Too bad Kirk doesn't know how to use the internet, otherwise he could show this to recruits.

Two things jump out at me.

1. Iowa State in the bottom 10 of BCS schools
2. Big 12 had no schools with a positive number when comparing recruiting ranks to draft count. 9 of the 12 Big Ten schools (they moved Nebraska to the Big Ten) were positive.

Last edited:
The only surprising this about this list is that there are 8 schools worse than Iowa State. I think I should be hired to do an ad campaign for Ames.

"Ames Iowa. Where NFL dreams come to die."

It would take a lot of extra work, but it seems like there should be some weighting applied to the NFL draft picks. In other words, a first round NFL draft pick should be given more weight than a late round draft pick. I would guess that this would strengthen the correlation between recruiting ranks and # of draftees, and reduce the # of outliers.

The only surprising this about this list is that there are 8 schools worse than Iowa State. I think I should be hired to do an ad campaign for Ames.

"Ames Iowa. Where NFL dreams come to die."

If you have NFL dreams and your best offer is from ISU, that should be a good sign your dreams aren't going to come true.

It would take a lot of extra work, but it seems like there should be some weighting applied to the NFL draft picks. In other words, a first round NFL draft pick should be given more weight than a late round draft pick. I would guess that this would strengthen the correlation between recruiting ranks and # of draftees, and reduce the # of outliers.

Why…………….there are 119 D-1 schools X 85 scholarship athletes………10115- kids

There are 32 NFL teams X 53 roster spots which equals…..1696 players…..making a roster at all whether it be 1st round, 3rd round, last round or FA is quite a feat and not to be trivialized or short changed in any fashion.

Quite frankly when you break it down completely I’d guess there are more 2 star kids in the NFL than anything else…..

Chad

If you do this, you can have some multipliers too. Like a 5 star is 1 point 4=2, 3=3, 2=4, 1=5. and then the same for rounds 1-2=4 pts. 3-4=3 pts. 5-6=2pts. 7-FA=1 pt.

That way a 5* going in round 1 is worth 4 pts. but a 2* going in round 1 is 16 pts.

Now get on it. :)

First - Jon - Thanks for allowing me to come post on your site/forum. And thanks for all the readers of the article.

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]To answer the aforementioned questions....It would be very time consuming to do it by round. I thought of how to structure it, like start with #1 and give a point total for each of the 196 or so draft pick (#1 gets 196 points) but teams draft to need not skill/talent. By round what is to differentiate the last 1st rounder and the 1st second rounder. Less than 1.5% of all CFB players will be draft this year, Top schools still have 4/5/6/7 rounders as well.

That being said where would the line be drawn? I like brainstorming ideas for making stuff better but struggle with keeping it simple enough to do easily and overload information.

No matter how you slice it Iowa is well outside the curve for the simple study and one can take what they want from it. For some reason A&M fans are giving me the hardest time about it. :)

Thank you for post the link on your forum and hope you don't mind a
non-Hawk buttin' in. I will have the 2011 draft result in a new article to update it next week and am working on the Iowa team predictor/trend page for the website as well.

-Dave Bartoo
dave@cfbmatrix.com
twitter @cfbmatrix
[/FONT]

Too bad Kirk doesn't know how to use the internet, otherwise he could show this to recruits.

BTW - I did offer to retool the article and update with 2011 draft data as independant third party including a bound report and power point audio/video in school colors for recruiting use.

Dave

I don't even need to look to know that you probably have schools like Iowa on one hand and schools like Clemson and UCLA on the other side. Schools who get 5 star recruits and 2 star results.

I like what Bill Parcells said..."historically 52% of NFL players come from 27 schools...you go where they make them."

Gotta love the simplicity in that.

Really great info cfbmatrix dude. Iowa should push this info hard in their recruiting. Hard to argue with these results and it shows up in the Ws and the Ls.....Iowa is 85-41 the past 10 years!!!!

This is very interesting. I agree, this should definitely be in the recruiters folder when visiting prospective recruits. This is Iowa's best selling point to recruits. "Iowa can get you to the NFL with hard work".

Thanks Chosen!

started to add the 2011 draft number to update the article here. The Best/Worst of Recruiting & Developing NFL Draft Picks 2.0 College Football Matrix

I recv'd 283 requests to get the Hawkeye team page up on the site with teh trends and analysis. You have a strong! group of fans. Need to get to a Hawkeye home game some time!

We luv us some Hawks. You would NOT be disappointed attending an Iowa game at Historical Kinnick Stadium. Great tailgate atmosphere & fan support. Great job on the matrix.

Latest posts