Consolation Prize: We Graduate Players

What?? I just saw that ISU graduates 96.4% of black athletes and Iowa graduates 67.3%. WTF?

Unfortunately transfers don't count towards your graduation rate which makes that 14% incredibly deceiving. It's not Fred's fault a lot of his early recruits left because they weren't getting playing time.

The stats posted by the OP are correct, according to the latest NCAA report.

However, the report measures six-year graduation rates for student-athletes who were freshman from 2004-2007. It is a little early to assign credit/blame to Fred and Fran for these numbers.

Then that absolutely makes sense. McD and Morgan didn't graduate anybody. Let's just take a look at the guys Fred has coached:

Diante Garrett: Don't know, only coached him his senior year and I don't see anything on cyclones.com so I assume he didn't graduate.
Jake Anderson: already graduated from N. Illinois.
Ejim: Graduated
Calvin Godfrey: Kicked off the team
Eric McKnight: Transferred
DeMarcus Phillips: Transferred
Jordan Railey: Transferred
Chris Babb: Graduated
Royce White: 1st round NBA draft pick
Anthony Booker: Graduated
Chris Allen: Graduated

Korey Luious: Graduated
Will Clyburn: Graduated
Tyrus McGee: Graduated
Bubu Palo: Graduated
Percy Gibson: Transferred
Tavon Sledge: Graduated

2012:
Kerwin Okoro: Transferred
(Everyone else still at ISU)

2013: DeAndre Kane: Already graduated

2014: BDJ: Already graduated

I only listed the guys who have played for Hoiberg and have completed their eligibility, transferred, or graduated.

By my count that is 20 African Americans who have played for Hoiberg who are no longer at ISU in one shape or another.

3 Already graduated, so I literally do not care what happens at ISU academically, as they already have a degree.
6 Transferred to another school in good standing, so they really aren't ISU's responsibility anymore and the NCAA agrees with me due to the changes they made to the APR.
9 Have graduated
1 May or may not have but fred was his coach for only 1 year of his academic career
1 was the 16th pick in the draft

ISU has also set multiple records for team GPA under Fred. However, ISU graduates players at a very good rate and using stats from before he got here isn't an accurate representation of the situation Fred has fostered on the academic side. I'm very pleased with how the program has performed there.

Then that absolutely makes sense. McD and Morgan didn't graduate anybody. Let's just take a look at the guys Fred has coached:

Diante Garrett: Don't know, only coached him his senior year and I don't see anything on cyclones.com so I assume he didn't graduate.
Jake Anderson: already graduated from N. Illinois.
Ejim: Graduated
Calvin Godfrey: Kicked off the team
Eric McKnight: Transferred
DeMarcus Phillips: Transferred
Jordan Railey: Transferred
Chris Babb: Graduated
Royce White: 1st round NBA draft pick
Anthony Booker: Graduated
Chris Allen: Graduated

Korey Luious: Graduated
Will Clyburn: Graduated
Tyrus McGee: Graduated
Bubu Palo: Graduated
Percy Gibson: Transferred
Tavon Sledge: Graduated

2012:
Kerwin Okoro: Transferred
(Everyone else still at ISU)

2013: DeAndre Kane: Already graduated

2014: BDJ: Already graduated

I only listed the guys who have played for Hoiberg and have completed their eligibility, transferred, or graduated.

By my count that is 20 African Americans who have played for Hoiberg who are no longer at ISU in one shape or another.

3 Already graduated, so I literally do not care what happens at ISU academically, as they already have a degree.
6 Transferred to another school in good standing, so they really aren't ISU's responsibility anymore and the NCAA agrees with me due to the changes they made to the APR.
9 Have graduated
1 May or may not have but fred was his coach for only 1 year of his academic career
1 was the 16th pick in the draft

ISU has also set multiple records for team GPA under Fred. However, ISU graduates players at a very good rate and using stats from before he got here isn't an accurate representation of the situation Fred has fostered on the academic side. I'm very pleased with how the program has performed there.

In a couple cases the graduates were on campus 2 years to get a single year or less worth of credits; Lucious, Clyburn. If someone else inherits the responsibility for guys transferring out by the same token you are taking full credit for graduating guys who need no more than a single years worth of credits.

I would also like to know what the degree was that each graduated player received.

I don't know what the degrees were. If I had to guess probably sociology or something like that because that's what 90% of college athletes are doing.

The schools that got isu's outgoing kids will get the credit for them graduating as well. That is the model established by the NCAA, if you don't like it take it up with them.

I don't know what the degrees were. If I had to guess probably sociology or something like that because that's what 90% of college athletes are doing.

The schools that got isu's outgoing kids will get the credit for them graduating as well. That is the model established by the NCAA, if you don't like it take it up with them.

You might be correct about the degree area but do you have a link for the 90%?

I was not debating how the NCAA tabulates numbers. I am just calling into question hiding behind it.

Iowa and many others probably do these some or all of these things. I just challenge the notion that Fred is truly concerned about academics. He is paid to win games like every other coach. My guess is if it comes down to helping a player academically and winning he is going to choose winning. Case in point graduate transfers because you do not have to give a rip about them off the court.

Last edited:
In a couple cases the graduates were on campus 2 years to get a single year or less worth of credits; Lucious, Clyburn. If someone else inherits the responsibility for guys transferring out by the same token you are taking full credit for graduating guys who need no more than a single years worth of credits.

I would also like to know what the degree was that each graduated player received.

Id be happy to look up what every degree they received just as soon as you report back what degree each and every Iowa player has received during the same timeframe.

What a ridiculous argument, now coaches are responsible for what degree their athletes receive?

This is the single biggest butthurt loser thread I may have ever seen in all of my message board life. Maybe someone could start a "% of birth defects of babies by parents that attended Iowa or Iowa State" so then this thread could move down to #2 on the butthurt loser list.

You might be correct about the degree area but do you have a link for the 90%?

I was not debating how the NCAA tabulates numbers. I am just calling into question hiding behind it.

Iowa and many others probably do these some or all of these things. I just challenge the notion that Fred is truly concerned about academics. He is paid to win games like every other coach. My guess is if it comes down to helping a player academically and winning he is going to choose winning. Case in point graduate transfers because you do not have to give a rip about them off the court.

I'm not hiding behind it at all. I just don't see how ISU is responsible for someone's academic performance once they leave the school.

This is the single biggest butthurt loser thread I may have ever seen in all of my message board life. Maybe someone could start a "% of birth defects of babies by parents that attended Iowa or Iowa State" so then this thread could move down to #2 on the butthurt loser list.

Of course it is you are a cyclone fan.
So do you get more enjoyment trolling Iowa fans or Iowa St. actually winning?

About the only people that care are the fans of losing programs... Administrators,coaches,players, alumni don't seem to be too concerned. Some of them give lip service to graduation rates but that is about all. Show me the money.

It is really sad you belive this. Any coach will get fired quicker at Iowa for running a shabby program than for losing a few games. This collage there are several leagues for guys that just want to win games. NBA, Development league, Over seas. or the SEC.

Yeah, we got our ***** kicked, but so what? Our guys study SO much harder and that's way better for society!

This thread is so pathetic it's cute.

Unfortunately transfers don't count towards your graduation rate which makes that 14% incredibly deceiving. It's not Fred's fault a lot of his early recruits left because they weren't getting playing time.

Incorrect, or did you not read the accompanying article? From the article: "It should be noted that 2003’s figure came before the NCAA created the Graduation Success Rate, a more generous calculation that no longer penalized schools for athletes who left early and gave them credit for transfers who graduated."

Incorrect, or did you not read the accompanying article? From the article: "It should be noted that 2003’s figure came before the NCAA created the Graduation Success Rate, a more generous calculation that no longer penalized schools for athletes who left early and gave them credit for transfers who graduated."

Correct, but the 14% doesn't include most of hoiberg's players, so in the context of the current era is wildly incorrect.

The stats posted by the OP are correct, according to the latest NCAA report.

However, the report measures six-year graduation rates for student-athletes who were freshman from 2004-2007. It is a little early to assign credit/blame to Fred and Fran for these numbers.

This low number was from the Federal Graduation Rates calc which considered all out going transfers as non-graduates. If you remember the constant transfers leaving in the McDermot,years, a very very low number would be expected.

Last edited:
This low number was from the Federal Graduation Rates calc which considered all out going transfers as non-graduates. If you remember the constant transfers leaving in the McDermot,years, a very very low number would be expected.

Ummmm, NO! It says in the text of the article that it tracked the players after they transferred. It didn't count them as non-graduates unless they actually didn't graduate from the school where they transferred.

Latest posts