Consolation Prize: We Graduate Players

If the programs were reversed and Iowa was coming off a couple post season runs absolutely nobody would bring this up.

I'm curious to see the 14% figure in a link. I can think of at least 5 black players that have graduated under Hoiberg. Seems almost impossibly low.

What is it....like 1% of all college athletes make a pro team, and earn the big dollars?

The other 99% will have to work like the rest of us. And many will graduate with a hollow degree, obtained through classes cobbled together to keep the member eligible.

Yeah, they 'graduate' but with what? A worthless piece of paper really. What is a degree in Interdepartmental Studies going to do?

I see little academic nobility, or life-long advantage, to this. None.

I'm curious to see the 14% figure in a link. I can think of at least 5 black players that have graduated under Hoiberg. Seems almost impossibly low.

I do agree this seems low. I would also like to see a listing of the degrees the players have earned that graduated, what the current players are currently working on and the graduate transfers degree completion. Not just at ISU but Iowa and other power 5 schools.

I think we could all pick out the phony degrees.

What is it....like 1% of all college athletes make a pro team, and earn the big dollars?

The other 99% will have to work like the rest of us. And many will graduate with a hollow degree, obtained through classes cobbled together to keep the member eligible.

Yeah, they 'graduate' but with what? A worthless piece of paper really. What is a degree in Interdepartmental Studies going to do?

I see little academic nobility, or life-long advantage, to this. None.

Could not agree more.

So what you are saying is always take the easy route, don't do the right thing, and certainly don't hold anyone accountable? How does that work out in life? Usually, you end up fat on a sofa somewhere eating government cheese. This is definitely coming for a millennial or Gen Y or whatever. Don't do the work if you don't have to...it's not like it makes you better or anything. Have you taken the course Entitlement 101 yet? It's awesome.

So in other words, you have no answer the question of our reward which by it's definition means it has been earned so you choose to divert the dialog by making assumptions and characterizations without knowing anything. Okay.

So what you are saying is always take the easy route, don't do the right thing, and certainly don't hold anyone accountable? How does that work out in life? Usually, you end up fat on a sofa somewhere eating government cheese. This is definitely coming for a millennial or Gen Y or whatever. Don't do the work if you don't have to...it's not like it makes you better or anything. Have you taken the course Entitlement 101 yet? It's awesome.

Ahh this sounds like a FOS Boomer whose generation has done more to screw over this country than any other.

The statistic does somewhat speak for itself. It does not however, include a few facts: 1)Several players, including African American players, had graduated before they started at ISU and thus already had their degrees (ex. Anderson, Kane, BDJ) and thus have credits towards a grad program. Will they finish the grad degree? Don't know, but that is not the same as a 1 and done sham freshman or drop out; 2) He has also had academic all American (ex. Ejim); 3) if part of the goal of college is to prepare students for a career, several of the players without degrees are earning more professionally than many of us will.

Well Sally Mason did say that college athletics are a "nuisance." That is in essence the systemic issue with this athletic department. When your president would rather sell out a Geography Bowl in Kinnick and a Spelling Bee at Carver that's a problem.

Not sure who sets the requirements but Iowa has a transfer requirement of a 3.0 GPA at prior institution to even qualify. Iowa State on the other hand has a 2.3 GPA transfer requirement. Maybe it's a Big Ten/Big 12 thing too. But that would explain part of why Iowa doesn't get a lot of transfers and ISU does.

So in other words, you have no answer the question of our reward which by it's definition means it has been earned so you choose to divert the dialog by making assumptions and characterizations without knowing anything. Okay.

Our reward for educating people? Isn't it a better society...student body...family...children? I didn't answer you because your point was so lame. Why should we care about educating athletes...What's our Reward...what's in it for us? Lame *** question.

Just google...NCAA Basketball Tournament Graduation Rates...there is a Boston Globe article from March of last year. I can't get the link to paste correctly for some reason.

This is NOT a complex issue. Until significant changes are made, recruits at Iowa must show that they "predict" for achievement of a degree. A high school diploma, rank in class, GPA in high school, and ACT scores are the measurement tools typically used to make that prediction.

Graduation rates for any incoming freshmen at 4 year colleges and universities are actually abysmal. The most recent data I have seen is that fewer than 50% of students who enroll as freshman will achieve a BA/BS within a six year period.

At Iowa, the graduation rate within the 4-5 year range for scholarship athletes is far above that 50% figure. When we take into consideration that Iowa's athletes on scholarship receive every opportunity to get their degree within a reasonable time (5-6 years), they have only themselves to blame if they don't get the job done...or, somehow, they have slipped into the system and simply do not have the ability to complete a bachelors degree.

Iowa is typical: We can compare the data at Iowa to any Division 1 school and get an absolutely fair comparison. If it is true that ISU basketball players have a 14% graduation rate (I have no idea if that data is confirmed), there is NO excuse and ISU and Fred H. should be absolutely ashamed. I am not singling out ISU: ANY university that does not graduate athletes at the NCAA required rate should be immediately placed on probation.

Finally, any of you who believe that graduation rates are not important should start following the NBA, the NFL and the other professional sports, and stay out of the college sports arena. Division 1 athletes, regardless of sport, know perfectly well that their chances of making a living playing professionally are minimal. Give them credit for having a dream but also for having a brain.

Why in the world would they even have a separate stat for black athletes? I get that certain things make sense for distinguishing between race's but I don't see the point in having a different stat for each race of athlete's graduation rate.

Are they trying to show that universities don't care as much about black athletes or that black athletes don't care as much about graduating?

The stats posted by the OP are correct, according to the latest NCAA report.

However, the report measures six-year graduation rates for student-athletes who were freshman from 2004-2007. It is a little early to assign credit/blame to Fred and Fran for these numbers.

Why should anyone care of the graduating rates of one race of basketball player, up until 2007? College basketball players in D1 schools are there to play basketball. Anyone who says otherwise is acting uppity by pretending that graduation rates matter.

Why in the world would they even have a separate stat for black athletes? I get that certain things make sense for distinguishing between race's but I don't see the point in having a different stat for each race of athlete's graduation rate.

Are they trying to show that universities don't care as much about black athletes or that black athletes don't care as much about graduating?

Two words: affirmative action.

Why should anyone care of the graduating rates of one race of basketball player, up until 2007? College basketball players in D1 schools are there to play basketball. Anyone who says otherwise is acting uppity by pretending that graduation rates matter.

Riiiiight. So have them skip all classes in a semester and see how much playing time they get. You may or may not recall Ricky Davis (first one that popped into my head), who didn't go to ANY classes in the second semester of his freshman year. He had two options: sit out at least a semester or go pro.

Latest posts