Connor's Minutes

Northside Hawk

May be a barometer for our season. I posted in the game thread that if he plays more than fifteen, we're in trouble. It means others are off.

Last night he played 24, more than Ulis (21) and Bowen (17).

And we were in trouble

I'm an ISU fan who has spent plenty of time making fun of how much Connor plays, but he's having a good season. He deserves the minutes he's getting this year.
Exactly, he was a positive last night. He played tough, provided toughness and is the floor general for our 2nd wave.
Iowa might not be great this season, but they’d be really fucked without Connor’s versatility.

May be a barometer for our season. I posted in the game thread that if he plays more than fifteen, we're in trouble. It means others are off.

Last night he played 24, more than Ulis (21) and Bowen (17).

And we were in trouble
The thing about CM as well isn't just how much he plays it's how they use him. They had him guarding 7'ers for crying out loud. Of course he's going to struggle some against them. Duke just had us in mismatches all over the place. Not his fault but who the heck else can do it?

PM for being a coaches kid doesn't even remotely play like one. His on court decision making can be head scratching. He dribbles himself into double teams jumps to pass and takes highly difficult shots all too often. When he plays under control and has his legs under him he can usually shoot ok even though last night he couldn't hit a 3.

I trust him shooting out there more then Sandfort at this point. What's he shooting 25%? Yikes... I know shooters gotta shoot themselves out of it but at what point is the guy just not all that good at in game shooting?

The thing about CM as well isn't just how much he plays it's how they use him. They had him guarding 7'ers for crying out loud. Of course he's going to struggle some against them. Duke just had us in mismatches all over the place. Not his fault but who the heck else can do it?

PM for being a coaches kid doesn't even remotely play like one. His on court decision making can be head scratching. He dribbles himself into double teams jumps to pass and takes highly difficult shots all too often. When he plays under control and has his legs under him he can usually shoot ok even though last night he couldn't hit a 3.

I trust him shooting out there more then Sandfort at this point. What's he shooting 25%? Yikes... I know shooters gotta shoot themselves out of it but at what point is the guy just not all that good at in game shooting?
I still think he's going to end up a good player and I'm not worried about him being a "bad in game shooter". But I am worried about a sophomore slump sticking around the whole season. He will have some good games tho. Hopefully they come on some nights that get us some big wins.

I still think he's going to end up a good player and I'm not worried about him being a "bad in game shooter". But I am worried about a sophomore slump sticking around the whole season. He will have some good games tho. Hopefully they come on some nights that get us some big wins.
Hopefully yeah.. Even though he's had his mins decreased he's going to have to play some. They don't have a lot of other bodies. He's capable of havin an 8/10 game one of these days it feels like. Just be nice to see him have it before long

I dunno. I watched that game thinking Bowen needs to get more of those minutes. Bowen provides more on offense, puts more stress on the opposing D. Connor is consistently getting beat and chasing players. Then, he gives a 3 ft cushion because he doesn't want to get beat and they shoot over him.

I have nothing against the McCaffery's, but I honestly think Fran is going to be a better coach once they move on and he manages his roster and not his sons. One at a time is not so bad, but trying to find your two sons minutes on a 5 man basketball team is challenging.

These are all fair points and it's certainly plausible that Connor has earned minutes by improving his offensive game.

But....

He was out there well before the first media timeout past night. Fran rarely subs before the first media timeout unless someone picks up two quick fouls, or unless he tells himself "Me no likey".

Last night was the latter. I don't think he was happy with the quick shooting and wanted some offense run.. And if hes happy with how the starters come out of the gate he may not sub until after the second media timeout.

Sugar it any way you want, Connor should not be getting more minutes than Aron or Dasonte. If you want him in there after the final media timeout in a close game because he's experienced and protects the ball, fine. But we have enough points guards on the roster that he should get no more than five-six minute stretches each half ro facilitate the second unit. Any more and it's because Frans not happy with what he's seeing.

These are all fair points and it's certainly plausible that Connor has earned minutes by improving his offensive game.

But....

He was out there well before the first media timeout past night. Fran rarely subs before the first media timeout unless someone picks up two quick fouls, or unless he tells himself "Me no likey".

Last night was the latter. I don't think he was happy with the quick shooting and wanted some offense run.. And if hes happy with how the starters come out of the gate he may not sub until after the second media timeout.

Sugar it any way you want, Connor should not be getting more minutes than Aron or Dasonte. If you want him in there after the final media timeout in a close game because he's experienced and protects the ball, fine. But we have enough points guards on the roster that he should get no more than five-six minute stretches each half ro facilitate the second unit. Any more and it's because Frans not happy with what he's seeing.

This is what I was thinking. I don't think it helps the team with him getting 24-27 minutes a game. I'm thinking 10-15 might be about right.

I left that game wondering "I wonder what Bowen could have provided with more minutes." Or Ulis. They would have pressured the ball and made it a little more difficult on Duke's guards, I believe.

Like almost every year, this team isn't as bad as everyone thinks, nor is it as good as everyone thinks.

Yep. I probably need to dial down expectations. I went into the year thinking the conference was down and they had a outside shot at winning the regular season conference title. The conference is better than expected, so we should expect the norm....20+ wins, 8,9,10 seed in the tournament.

Last night was a bad match up for Iowa. Tall centers and athletic wing guys. We will struggle against Purdue for the same reasons.

Connor and his minutes are the least of my worries. Connor is like concrete repair caulk. He fills the cracks.

We need to start shooting better. Period.
I watched one isu game and they are big inside. So we f’d

But....

I will go with what Fran does.

Again, I don't think Fran wanted to go to his bench that early.

You watch a typical Iowa game and the first subs typically don't come in until around the 13-14 minute mark of the first half.
I felt like the team played better when Big Jelly came in - neutralized their inside game... They made their 1st half run while he was playing... I was surprised he didn't get more playing time in the 2nd half.

Latest posts