Connor will play baseball, redshirt basketball

This is why I'd really like to see Dailey red-shirt for the '17-'18 season. With an extra year in the weight room and another years experience on the scout team, Iowa would have 3 classes of solid point guard play. Considering there isn't much coming in for point guards the next 2 years, it would really be a boost for the Hawks to have a senior with experience in '20-'21.

I know .. "He didn't red-shirt last year. Why would he do it this year?" Because last year, at the beginning of the year, the pecking order at the 1 was CW, Dailey, JBo. In that order. Now, the pecking order is JBo, CW, Dailey. Dailey will probably get less time on the floor in '17-'18 then he did in '16-'17.

"But he can get time at the 2", you say. Again, the pecking order going into '17-'18 is pretty well set with Moss and Elingson. Throw in some time for CW/JBo on the floor at the same time and Dailey is the fourth option. Or is he? With the 3/4/5 being as crowded as it is going to be, I could see Baer spending some time at the 2 as well. (I know .. it might be a stretch.)

So .. I still think Doc's (MD, lol) best option is to red-shirt.

Your probably right that Dailey is the odd man out, but I say screw the redshirt. With the recruiting progress we are making I say the faster he graduates the better. If he is good enough to play, Fran will find him minutes.

Your probably right that Dailey is the odd man out, but I say screw the redshirt. With the recruiting progress we are making I say the faster he graduates the better. If he is good enough to play, Fran will find him minutes.
I respect and understand your opinion, I believe it would be better to have senior leadership at the 1 come '20-'21. If you're not going to do that, then it would be best to have an honest talk with Doc and tell him he should move on .. the sooner the better.
Just my $.02 .. .. GO HAWKS!!!

The O'Bannon's for UCLA in the 90s. Their dad wasn't the coach tho.

Marcus and Markieff Morris at Kansas and Jarrod and Jason Collins at Stanford, a couple sets of twins started together off the top of my head. But their dad's weren't coaches either.

I respect and understand your opinion, I believe it would be better to have senior leadership at the 1 come '20-'21. If you're not going to do that, then it would be best to have an honest talk with Doc and tell him he should move on .. the sooner the better.
Just my $.02 .. .. GO HAWKS!!!

I assume "Doc" is an auto correct for Dailey. If that assumption serves then I will point out as a Division 1 Power 5 head coach for a prestigious University that builds themselves around values and honesty, then that conversation can only be had if the player himself has broached the scenario. Just like Kirk for football Fran is expected to honor his scholarship over anything unless the player has breached contract. As the head man all you can do is tell the player what he isn't doing and why he isn't getting playing time. Hopefully the media plants the seed of transfer in the players mind for you.

Either way, I do believe that Dailey has skills only rivaled currently by Moss. I think an off season will do Dailey wonders. He came in extremely aggressive and confident. I don't think a freshman season riding the pine will hurt his confidence. If he is a true competitor that will only stoke his fire. I think Dailey will push for minutes next season. I doubt we will want him to transfer, but 3 years should be plenty.

This is why I'd really like to see Dailey red-shirt for the '17-'18 season. With an extra year in the weight room and another years experience on the scout team, Iowa would have 3 classes of solid point guard play. Considering there isn't much coming in for point guards the next 2 years, it would really be a boost for the Hawks to have a senior with experience in '20-'21.

I know .. "He didn't red-shirt last year. Why would he do it this year?" Because last year, at the beginning of the year, the pecking order at the 1 was CW, Dailey, JBo. In that order. Now, the pecking order is JBo, CW, Dailey. Dailey will probably get less time on the floor in '17-'18 then he did in '16-'17.

"But he can get time at the 2", you say. Again, the pecking order going into '17-'18 is pretty well set with Moss and Elingson. Throw in some time for CW/JBo on the floor at the same time and Dailey is the fourth option. Or is he? With the 3/4/5 being as crowded as it is going to be, I could see Baer spending some time at the 2 as well. (I know .. it might be a stretch.)

So .. I still think Doc's (MD, lol) best option is to red-shirt.

Lots of reasons why red-shirting Doc makes no sense.

1) Play to win NOW and we will need him to play some minutes at the 2/3 spot.
2) MD isn't a PG to begin with. Sure he might be able to fill in when need be but I don't think he was recruited as a PG and probably hasn't spent a lot of practice time in this role and why would he with JBO and CW on the roster.
3) With JBO having 3 and CW having 2 more years to play, there's still time to get a future PG.

Not to get too far down the road with expectations but can anyone think of a Div. 1 level basketball program that would have had two brothers in the starting lineup at the same time for the same program on a regular basis?

Now throw in the Dad as the coach.........any program?

Randy and Robbie Reid played for their dad Roger Reid at BYU in the mid-1990's.
Jeff and Mark Acres played for their dad Dick Acres at Oral Robers in the mid-1980's.
Logan and Lucas Nutt played for their dad Dickey Nutt (Don't laugh!) at SE Missouri St in the early 2010's.

There are also several brothers who played for their dad but did not play on the same team with each other.

And LOTS of father coaching sons in the list. There is even one grandfather coaches father and later father coaches son. (Smithsons at Wichita St)

http://collegehoopedia.com/players/father-son-combinations

I don't see this as being good for Iowa basketball.

How come? Most people doubted he was ready to compete right away. Now he gets a year to sit out but still practice and be a part of the team. This is way better than him going to a CC or quitting basketball all together.

How come? Most people doubted he was ready to compete right away. Now he gets a year to sit out but still practice and be a part of the team. This is way better than him going to a CC or quitting basketball all together.
My opinion is based on quality PGs want playing time. No coach can convince them that they will get the PT over that coach's son. They aren't willing to risk their college career on that promise, so they'll choose another program.
I think having Conner committed to Iowa has hurt Fran's ability to recruit point guards for the last 3 years. Now that he can actually help the program, he's going to redshirt and set point guard recruiting back an additional year?

My opinion is based on quality PGs want playing time. No coach can convince them that they will get the PT over that coach's son. They aren't willing to risk their college career on that promise, so they'll choose another program.
I think having Conner committed to Iowa has hurt Fran's ability to recruit point guards for the last 3 years. Now that he can actually help the program, he's going to redshirt and set point guard recruiting back an additional year?

I understand your fear. I'm just not sure I buy it personally. I think top level talent doesn't worry about who else is on the roster. Otherwise how could NC, Duke, Kentucky etc get 2 top 50 PG's in the same class? Has happened several times in the past few years. I think the fact that Connor is a walk on redshirting his freshman year and also playing baseball should alleviate any remaining concerns. It's clear that if we get a kid that is better, he will play over whoever. Also side note, I think Connor projects better at the 2 guard. We will see only time will tell.

I understand your fear. I'm just not sure I buy it personally. I think top level talent doesn't worry about who else is on the roster. Otherwise how could NC, Duke, Kentucky etc get 2 top 50 PG's in the same class? Has happened several times in the past few years. I think the fact that Connor is a walk on redshirting his freshman year and also playing baseball should alleviate any remaining concerns. It's clear that if we get a kid that is better, he will play over whoever. Also side note, I think Connor projects better at the 2 guard. We will see only time will tell.
99% of the time I would agree with you. But every D1 prospect has seen some version of a father/son situation in either AAU or HS. They aren't worried about honest competition but they know where a Father is concerned, there won't be an honest competition. These types of players have a lot of offers from programs just like Iowa. When they are weighing all of the pros and cons, playing time means a lot. You don't think the coach at MINN is telling them "you're the only player we have offered at that position. You come here and the spot is yours from day 1. Why would you choose Iowa when you know Fran is going to give Conner the playing time?"
Why do you think we whiffed on so many prospects over the past 2 years, when we clearly had a need at that position?

99% of the time I would agree with you. But every D1 prospect has seen some version of a father/son situation in either AAU or HS. They aren't worried about honest competition but they know where a Father is concerned, there won't be an honest competition. These types of players have a lot of offers from programs just like Iowa. When they are weighing all of the pros and cons, playing time means a lot. You don't think the coach at MINN is telling them "you're the only player we have offered at that position. You come here and the spot is yours from day 1. Why would you choose Iowa when you know Fran is going to give Conner the playing time?"
Why do you think we whiffed on so many prospects over the past 2 years, when we clearly had a need at that position?

Everything you said makes sense. I don't deny that it could very well be the case, but I just can't accept it as fact. I think it is just as possible that we whiffed on those PG's because we were a little bit ass before the cart. We were going after big fish and we were still a middling program. That last 2 seasons have help establish ourselves better.

Also why are you so sure Fran would play Connor over someone better? How are you so sure Connor will stay at PG at all? I'm not necessarily arguing, more like playing devil's advocate.

Everything you said makes sense. I don't deny that it could very well be the case, but I just can't accept it as fact. I think it is just as possible that we whiffed on those PG's because we were a little bit ass before the cart. We were going after big fish and we were still a middling program. That last 2 seasons have help establish ourselves better.

Also why are you so sure Fran would play Connor over someone better? How are you so sure Connor will stay at PG at all? I'm not necessarily arguing, more like playing devil's advocate.
I think Connor will play wherever needed positions 1-3. The PGs Fran is after have different aspects to their skill sets.

I'm not but that will be the perception of every recruit, right or wrong. I coach these kids in AAU, so I know the mindset. Why do you think there are 500 transfers every year?

The good thing is Connor isn't just a point guard. I'm sure if Fran is going after a true point guard, he will say Connor can play the 2 or 3. If he's going after a 2 or 3, he can say Connor will play point. I think it's probably true too. Connor has the ability to fill in at the spot with the biggest need. If we have a really good point guard and crap for shooting guard, no way Connor plays 30 minutes at point guard while the other kid rides pine.

Latest posts