Connor will play baseball, redshirt basketball

Interesting in deed. No guarantees that he'll ever end up playing basketball just depending how baseball goes. No wonder Frans been offering PGs left and right lately.

Let's face it, this is good for everyone. Connor will find out if he can play baseball at a higher level. He will also have a year to grow and mature for basketball. Fran obviously feels he has the necessary guards to compete, or else I don't think this direction is even discussed. It will be interesting to see what happens if someone gets hurt. I hope we don't have to find out mind you.

Other than next year's basketball team, this is best for everyone involved.

I agree. I already didn't think we are a tournament team next year anyway even with him, so if Connor was open to redshirting a year that's a good plan and gives him an extra year with his brother.

Interesting in deed. No guarantees that he'll ever end up playing basketball just depending how baseball goes. No wonder Frans been offering PGs left and right lately.

If Connor doesn't get drafted and sign this year, he can't be drafted again until after his third year so he'll definitely play basketball for two years. I'd imagine if he's drafted at that point, he would still play basketball if he's been successful since low minors don't really get started until after basketball season ends anyway. Kenny Lofton and Tony Gwynn are just two examples of playing pro baseball while still finishing up with basketball and graduating.

This doesn't change the scholarship situation though right? I can't remember if he was always walking on.

I think this is a good plan by Connor. I think they all realize that although he may be a good basketball player, his highest "upside" just might very well be in baseball which I tend to agree with at this point. While he has had some solid HS baseball seasons, he also has never had the time to really work extra on the individual skills and repetitions that high level baseball requires. He has missed a lot of practice time and reps playing basketball all summer etc. I think he'll have a pretty good feel for where he stands as a baseball player after a season to work with Coach Heller's great staff at a high level. It will help clarify his future .
Just my two cents. I didn't see him making a huge difference on next years team personally. I wish him the best.

I don't get it that so many think it is Fran making the life choices for his kid.

The kid loves basketball and baseball and is good in both sports at D1 level. Why would a parent tell his kid what he is going to do at that age?

It will give him an opportunity to play a sport he loves, baseball, and there won't be as much pressure on him his freshman year. I enjoy watching Williams, and hopefully, he will blossom this year. Maishe is a guy I'm looking forward to watching too. Iowa should be pretty athletic next year with the experience they were missing this year.

I think some were expecting this. Here's my follow up question though.

Does he crack the lineup in the '18-'19 season? Here's the 1-3 spots:

1) JBo (JR), CW (SR)
2) Moss (JR), Ellingson (SR)
3) Baer (SR), Weiskamp (FR), Dailey (JR)?

Dailey might transfer? Does he beat out a senior Williams for the backup PG role?

Not to get too far down the road with expectations but can anyone think of a Div. 1 level basketball program that would have had two brothers in the starting lineup at the same time for the same program on a regular basis?

Now throw in the Dad as the coach.........any program?

I think some were expecting this. Here's my follow up question though.

Does he crack the lineup in the '18-'19 season? Here's the 1-3 spots:

1) JBo (JR), CW (SR)
2) Moss (JR), Ellingson (SR)
3) Baer (SR), Weiskamp (FR), Dailey (JR)?

Dailey might transfer? Does he beat out a senior Williams for the backup PG role?
This is why I'd really like to see Dailey red-shirt for the '17-'18 season. With an extra year in the weight room and another years experience on the scout team, Iowa would have 3 classes of solid point guard play. Considering there isn't much coming in for point guards the next 2 years, it would really be a boost for the Hawks to have a senior with experience in '20-'21.

I know .. "He didn't red-shirt last year. Why would he do it this year?" Because last year, at the beginning of the year, the pecking order at the 1 was CW, Dailey, JBo. In that order. Now, the pecking order is JBo, CW, Dailey. Dailey will probably get less time on the floor in '17-'18 then he did in '16-'17.

"But he can get time at the 2", you say. Again, the pecking order going into '17-'18 is pretty well set with Moss and Elingson. Throw in some time for CW/JBo on the floor at the same time and Dailey is the fourth option. Or is he? With the 3/4/5 being as crowded as it is going to be, I could see Baer spending some time at the 2 as well. (I know .. it might be a stretch.)

So .. I still think Doc's (MD, lol) best option is to red-shirt.

Not to get too far down the road with expectations but can anyone think of a Div. 1 level basketball program that would have had two brothers in the starting lineup at the same time for the same program on a regular basis?

Now throw in the Dad as the coach.........any program?

The O'Bannon's for UCLA in the 90s. Their dad wasn't the coach tho.

Latest posts