Connor McCaffery: Hawkeye Baseball Star?

IowaLawWasRight

Throughout the basketball season, it was no secret that Connor struggled mightily with his shot (he ranked last in the Big 10 in 3 point percentage) and his ability to penetrate or guard at the point guard position. His effort was there, though, and he played valuable minutes on an NCAA tourney team.

It was often said that, "sure, he randys around a lot in baskeball, but he's a super star in baseball and will likely be gone next year to the MLB draft anyway." When enough of the Iowa media makes such statements, it seems believable given his height and left handedness. To hear that he's a highly touted baseball prospect makes sense.

The baseball season is nearly complete, so I thought I would take a look for the first time and see how Connor is doing. Surely, as a top MLB prospect, he's tearing things up at the Big 10 level, right? Well, not so much.

Through 42 games, Connor is coming off the bench and is tied for 13th on the team in batting avg at just .238. I thought, well maybe he's a power hitter and swings for the fences? Nah. 1 home run and 0 triples. He does have one thing in common with power hitters though. In 63 at bats, he has 22 strikeouts (he has struck out 35% of his at bats, while hitting 20% from 3 point land).

Connor is a hard working Hawk who was one of the few in history to play two sports at Iowa. But after two years, I think we can safely lower expectations for him. At this level, kids are probably better off focusing on doing one sport really well rather than 2 sports mediocre.

Last edited:
Your last sentence is spot on. I wonder if he ends up agreeing with you after baseball is over.

Throughout the basketball season, it was no secret that Connor struggled mightily with his shot (he ranked last in the Big 10 in 3 point percentage) and his ability to penetrate or guard at the point guard position. His effort was there, though, and he played valuable minutes on an NCAA tourney team. It was often said that, "sure, he's not quite there in baskeball, but he's a super star in baseball and will likely be gone next year to the MLB draft." When the Iowa media is touting such things, it seems believable. He was, after all, one of the highest ranked basketball recruits in the Fran era, so to hear that he's a highly touted baseball prospect makes sense.

The baseball season is nearly complete, so I thought I would take a look for the first time and see how Connor is doing. Surely, as a top MLB prospect, he's tearing things up at the Big 10 level, right? Well, not so much.

Through 42 games, Connor is coming off the bench and is tied for 13th on the team in batting avg at .238. I thought, well maybe he's a power hitter and swings for the fences? Nah. 1 home run and 0 triples. He does have one thing in common with power hitters though. In 63 at bats, he has 22 strikeouts (he has struck out 35% of his at bats, while hitting 20% from 3 point land).

Connor is a hard working Hawk who was one of the few in history to play two sports at Iowa. But after two years, I think we can safely lower expectations for him. At this level, kids are probably better off focusing on doing one sport really well rather than 2 sports mediocre.
You are a super star in smug assery
1000% in delta bravo
below the Mendoza line in personality.

You are a super star in smug assery
1000% in delta bravo
below the Mendoza line in personality.
And Connor is not the first Hawkeye play basketball and baseball. Dick Peth did it in the late seventies. Bo Porter played football and baseball. Tom Grogan played football and basketball. Mark Sindlinger did football and wrestling. Several, like Kurt Stange, played baseball and walked on for basketball. And Tim Dwight led a contingent too numerous to mention of those who did football and track. Others included Robert Smith, Quinn Early, Treye Jackson, Bashir Yamini, Chris Gambol, Gary Kostrubala, and probably a dozen others.

In addition to this long list, basketball's Kent Hill briefly tried football, Tavian Banks soccer, and Larry Station tennis.

And Connor is not the first Hawkeye play basketball and baseball. Dick Peth did it in the late seventies. Bo Porter played football and baseball. Tom Grogan played football and basketball. Mark Sindlinger did football and wrestling. Several, like Kurt Stange, played baseball and walked on for basketball. And Tim Dwight led a contingent too numerous to mention of those who did football and track. Others included Robert Smith, Quinn Early, Treye Jackson, Bashir Yamini, Chris Gambol, Gary Kostrubala, and probably a dozen others.

In addition to this long list, basketball's Kent Hill briefly tried football, Tavian Banks soccer, and Larry Station tennis.

No mention of Danan Hughes in your diatribe.;)

I think the guy is pretty talented, but I doubt he is that talented to excel in two sports and go to school full time. He is an honor student so he should be able to figure it all out.

Take away his genetic pedigree form and he wouldn't be at Iowa in either sport.
Well duh.

Why would he come to Iowa if he lived out east. Why wouldn’t he play for his dad wherever he was.

I think the guy is pretty talented, but I doubt he is that talented to excel in two sports and go to school full time. He is an honor student so he should be able to figure it all out.

And imagine all the drama at home he has to endure!

Hey maybe that's why he does two sports. So, he can get a season away from his dad.

Baseball is so much TIMING. Can’t expect that much joining team after missing all the early practices and games. He will come around.
Yes, timing is important in baseball. And Connor is behind on that for the season because of basketball. In basketball, he has a high level handle for his size and high level passing (a skill that seems to have been transferable for him between the sports). But his shooting, especially needed by him as a guard without elite quickness, has been lacking consistency. In order for him to get that consistency, he would need to be shooting a lot more in the offseason than he probably is because of baseball.
All this to say, I agree that Connor will probably have to choose at some point if he wants to play either baseball or basketball at the highest level he can achieve, and above are some of the reasons why.

I would love to have a dollar for every athlete at Iowa who has been written off by several on this board, only to have pretty good success after some time in the program.

I would love to have a dollar for every athlete at Iowa who has been written off by several on this board, only to have pretty good success after some time in the program.

Wont happen. His BB fundamentals are terrible. Normally if the are terrible at ine he likely doesnt have them in baseball. His dad is Big coach and he lacks them.

Its not atypical of players who get by for what ever reason against so so competition and have an ego beyond learning.

If you cant see the basketball fundamentals lacking then you arent looking. Wish I had a dollar for everyone that doesnt pan out. Id be ahead.

Latest posts