Connor McCaffery Baseball Prospect

If I’m Harper I’m looking to get as much guaranteed money that I can get.

Thats clearly the safe bet and obviously the way your agent will force you to go so they get paid....but Harper could make a lot more money if he went year to year or took on smaller contracts. On the flip side he could also lose a lot more money. Still though, if the Yankees think this is their year, why wouldn't they fork up $60M on one year of Bryce Harper?

Thats clearly the safe bet and obviously the way your agent will force you to go so they get paid....but Harper could make a lot more money if he went year to year or took on smaller contracts. On the flip side he could also lose a lot more money. Still though, if the Yankees think this is their year, why wouldn't they fork up $60M on one year of Bryce Harper?
He will have his guaranteed money, but how long will he be the highest paid. Top salaries may finally be leveling off after decades of out of control proliferation, but I thought that Rickey Henderson, to name one example, once slid from first to fifty-fifth in salary in less than three years. Salaries were rocketing skyward like crazy when Henderson was in his prime.

The other extreme, that came up in another post, is to bet on yourself every year. One year for present performance. That's how Michael Jordan did it almost his entire prime. Scottie Pippen, as a young player in 1989 before the dynasty began, went for the safety and security of the long term deal. For a brief time he was making more money, on the court, than Jordan. He wouldn't for long. By the mid point of Pippen's contract he was getting chump change compared to his value. Reinsdorf and Krause never let him out of his original deal, never renegotiated. Pippen was furious for a long time, even when he was winning rings.

Isn't baseball 100% guaranteed money once they hit free agency or sign an extension forgoing arbitration?

Isn't baseball 100% guaranteed money once they hit free agency or sign an extension forgoing arbitration?
For most part I think it is. Which is why I think the owners may negotiate for earlier free agency in the next CBA, in exchange for the end of abritration. And I think the players would jump at it. Players are peaking sooner and getting old sooner than they used to. They would get their paydays sooner and the owners would be happy because they would be getting more of the players' prime seasons.

For most part I think it is. Which is why I think the owners may negotiate for earlier free agency in the next CBA, in exchange for the end of abritration. And I think the players would jump at it. Players are peaking sooner and getting old sooner than they used to. They would get their paydays Soo and the owners would be happy because they would be getting more of the players' prime seasons.

That would make sense. The whole 6 year service time is kind of clunky. Front offices can play games a la Kris Bryant to keep control up to and in some cases through peak years for older players before they sniff free agency.

It's a pretty unfair agreement for those "diamond in the rough" types of draft picks that spend multiple years in the minors making their way through the ranks. Most of those types tend to be reaching the majors near their peak years and are on the decline before they hit free agency.

He will have his guaranteed money, but how long will he be the highest paid. Top salaries may finally be leveling off after decades of out of control proliferation, but I thought that Rickey Henderson, to name one example, once slid from first to fifty-fifth in salary in less than three years. Salaries were rocketing skyward like crazy when Henderson was in his prime.

The other extreme, that came up in another post, is to bet on yourself every year. One year for present performance. That's how Michael Jordan did it almost his entire prime. Scottie Pippen, as a young player in 1989 before the dynasty began, went for the safety and security of the long term deal. For a brief time he was making more money, on the court, than Jordan. He wouldn't for long. By the mid point of Pippen's contract he was getting chump change compared to his value. Reinsdorf and Krause never let him out of his original deal, never renegotiated. Pippen was furious for a long time, even when he was winning rings.
Jordan didn't make big $ till the final 3 peat run. He was like the 3rd or 4th highest paid Bull much of his time there. Kukoc was getting more than Jordan when he first came out of retirement. I think his last 3 or 4 yrs is when Jordan got 30 mill big deals. (still a bargain) The Bulls got such a bargain for what Jordan was willing to play for during his career it was unreal. They can thank Nike, Hanes, McDonalds etc etc for that...

Jordan didn't make big $ till the final 3 peat run. He was like the 3rd or 4th highest paid Bull much of his time there. Kukoc was getting more than Jordan when he first came out of retirement. I think his last 3 or 4 yrs is when Jordan got 30 mill big deals. (still a bargain) The Bulls got such a bargain for what Jordan was willing to play for during his career it was unreal. They can thank Nike, Hanes, McDonalds etc etc for that...

What the Bulls paid him was a complete joke.

upload_2019-2-1_14-6-35.png

For most part I think it is. Which is why I think the owners may negotiate for earlier free agency in the next CBA, in exchange for the end of abritration. And I think the players would jump at it. Players are peaking sooner and getting old sooner than they used to. They would get their paydays sooner and the owners would be happy because they would be getting more of the players' prime seasons.

I believe the players also want to bring the DH to the NL to extend careers of aging vets, and thats a fight I think the NL is going to lose...sadly

That would make sense. The whole 6 year service time is kind of clunky. Front offices can play games a la Kris Bryant to keep control up to and in some cases through peak years for older players before they sniff free agency.

It's a pretty unfair agreement for those "diamond in the rough" types of draft picks that spend multiple years in the minors making their way through the ranks. Most of those types tend to be reaching the majors near their peak years and are on the decline before they hit free agency.

I think baseball is headed towards a strike and I think the players and owners see it coming too. Already you have started seeing contracts be worded for work stoppages and players have started asking the MLBPA to hold back more of their wages in case of a strike.

Players really hate the controlled years and they really hate the compensatory pick process for free agents and how qualifying offers are tied to draft picks. It can kill their options. The owners seem to really hate arbitration and everything that comes with it. Owners also hate fully guaranteed contracts, but most of that nonsense is their own doing.

I believe the players also want to bring the DH to the NL to extend careers of aging vets, and thats a fight I think the NL is going to lose...sadly

I really hope this doesn't happen... I enjoy the strategy behind NL roster construction and use within games. Unfortunately some stud pitcher is gong to get hurt while batting and that will be it and the rule will change due to public outrcry.

I think baseball is headed towards a strike and I think the players and owners see it coming too. Already you have started seeing contracts be worded for work stoppages and players have started asking the MLBPA to hold back more of their wages in case of a strike.

Players really hate the controlled years and they really hate the compensatory pick process for free agents and how qualifying offers are tied to draft picks. It can kill their options. The owners seem to really hate arbitration and everything that comes with it. Owners also hate fully guaranteed contracts, but most of that nonsense is their own doing.

Agreed, it's just a matter of time..

Owners hate free agency in general. The reason the 1981 strike wiped out two months of that summer is because the owners saw the affect it had for the first generation of players to take advantage of it and the owners wanted to get rid of it. It was the owners fault in the first place because they got fleeced by Marvin Miller and the players union. Miller knew that if only a few at a time became eligible that supply and demand laws of economics would soon drive salaries way up for the players. Miller was only a lawyer and the owners were billionaires or near billionaires and yet the owners were fleeced by someone who understood one of most basic fundamentals of economics better than they did.

The veteran players of that generation, who were near the end of the line and we're striking mostly for benefit of future players, also deserve credit. They played the primes of their careers in an era where the best players were getting $250,000 per year, way below their value. Longtime baseball announcer Steve Stone is a good example of that type of player.

I really hope this doesn't happen... I enjoy the strategy behind NL roster construction and use within games. Unfortunately some stud pitcher is gong to get hurt while batting and that will be it and the rule will change due to public outrcry.

This happened last year. Yankees pitcher Masahiro Tanaka was injured (both hamstrings!) last year running the bases. I read this and smiled ... who runs more than pitchers? Most run (or at least jog) during the non-starting days.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/09/sports/yankees-masahiro-tanaka-injury.html

Tanaka’s injury renewed debate about whether the National League should adopt the designated hitter rule used in the American League to reduce the risk of injury for pitchers.

“It’s not something that we pitchers in the American League normally do, but during interleague games it’s part of baseball, too,” Tanaka said. “That’s how I look at it. I’ve been doing this since I was a little kid. It’s on me that I got hurt.”

This happened last year. Yankees pitcher Masahiro Tanaka was injured (both hamstrings!) last year running the bases. I read this and smiled ... who runs more than pitchers? Most run (or at least jog) during the non-starting days.

Tanaka’s injury renewed debate about whether the National League should adopt the designated hitter rule used in the American League to reduce the risk of injury for pitchers.

“It’s not something that we pitchers in the American League normally do, but during interleague games it’s part of baseball, too,” Tanaka said. “That’s how I look at it. I’ve been doing this since I was a little kid. It’s on me that I got hurt.”

Haha exactly. That was running the bases too not actually in the batters box. Can you imagine the publicity it would receive if it happens while batting, lets say during game 1 of the World Series? The ace of a team goes down and is unable to pitch game 4 on short rest or game 5. The public would demand the rule to be changed.

Baseball is a weird game in that its basically an individual sport played as a team. People tend to view it as a team sport but the reality is that almost everything done on the field is done individually.

very true. but, baseball is also a game where a failure can be the smartest play, but it has to be the right type of failure. think sac bunts. think intentional walk. think double-steal to try and score the guy from 3rd by giving up the out at second. point being, baseball is a team sport because you have to be willing to sacrifice your individual stats for the betterment of the team win.

plus, baseball just has the best sports nicknames: crime dawg, popeye, kong, pops, little poison, big poison, the mad hungarian, gravedigger, the big hurt, etc, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_baseball_nicknames

or at least adopt a designated "runner" rule during warm ups.