Conference Expansion

Saw that the BIG is starting tv talks. No question that if expansion were to happen, this would be a good summer to do it. If I were a fan of the ACC I might be a little nervous.

The 4 teams that keep coming up are North Carolina, Florida State, Virginia, and Georgia Tech. Not sure how FSU fits in? Anyway, if that happened, then MSU, and Indiana would have to come West.

Rumor has it Oklahoma wants into the BIG badly. I'm sure they do, but I think the Big 12 GOR is too strong, and I also don't know about the whole Okie State thing. With that said, if we had to expand, Oklahoma could be a fun addition. From a fan standpoint, a lot better than Rutgers and Maryland.

Okie comes in and there goes our rivalry with Nebraska that is growing. Would still be a big game but the Okie-Nebby rivalry would get all the pub.

Okie comes in and there goes our rivalry with Nebraska that is growing. Would still be a big game but the Okie-Nebby rivalry would get all the pub.
I agree. When I was a little kid, the Okie-Nebraska game was the premiere game in my mind (when Iowa wasn't playing).

Notre Dame had their chance, time for the BIG to return the favor and pass on them. We have enough elitest teams/fans already in OSU, Michigan and Nebraska.

Notre Dame had their chance, time for the BIG to return the favor and pass on them. We have enough elitest teams/fans already in OSU, Michigan and Nebraska.
As a fan I agree. But the amount of money they could bring from a national brand point of view makes it hard for any conference to say no to them.

I don't know why the B1G hasn't put the freeze on conference teams playing ND, if they rejected us on the last round Delaney should have said fine, no more games against Big 10 teams.

As a fan I agree. But the amount of money they could bring from a national brand point of view makes it hard for any conference to say no to them.

How much more could they really offer than Oklahoma and does it even matter? I get that $ rules over everything else but the BIG is already the richest conference and about to get richer.
Also, Notre Dame's TV contract with NBC is for 15 million annually for Football. If that's what the market price was (granted it was negotiated in 2013) than they may not have the appeal that everyone presumes they have.
I wonder what the median age is for Notre Dame fans, I'm guessing it's very old and keeps getting older than the national average. While they'll always have a large fan base I think it's dwindling over time and isn't enough to put up with all of the bull their going to bring.

So the Big 12 has come out and said they are considering going to 12. The ACC is trying to get a network so they don't get poached, and rumors floating around that Oklahoma wants to come to the Big 12. Chip Brown (Texas media mouth piece) said on the radio yesterday that Texas and Oklahoma are a "package deal". Definitely a lot more people out talking about this now.

Not sure I like conferences with so many teams, relative to # games in the schedule. At some point they stop being conferences, and start being an economic consortium. I think that's where we are headed.

A 16 team conference means long periods without playing some teams.

I thought of Nebraska in the B1G. Then I thought of people who adopt an ugly dog (Nebraska), It does not really feel at home. So the owners decide it needs a mate, so the owners get another dog (OU) to keep it company.

Not sure I like conferences with so many teams, relative to # games in the schedule. At some point they stop being conferences, and start being an economic consortium. I think that's where we are headed.

A 16 team conference means long periods without playing some teams.

I thought of Nebraska in the B1G. Then I thought of people who adopt an ugly dog (Nebraska), It does not really feel at home. So the owners decide it needs a mate, so the owners get another dog (OU) to keep it company.

I"m with you. I'm very wary of going to 16 for the sole purpose of more $$$$. Let someone else try to balance the interests of 16 teams.

KU & OU easy, done ... top-5 fb program and top-5 mbb program ... beautiful/elegant from a geographic perspective as well, as they join the west and Purdue moves to the east ... and I won't cry one tear about losing black friday game w/ Nebby

West | East
Iowa | Indiana
Illinois | Maryland
Kansas | Michigan
Minnesota | Mich State
Nebraska | Ohio State
Northwestern | Penn State
Oklahoma | Purdue
Wisconsin | Rutgers

KU & OU easy, done ... top-5 fb program and top-5 mbb program ... beautiful/elegant from a geographic perspective as well, as they join the west and Purdue moves to the east ... and I won't cry one tear about losing black friday game w/ Nebby

West | East
Iowa | Indiana
Illinois | Maryland
Kansas | Michigan
Minnesota | Mich State
Nebraska | Ohio State
Oklahoma | Purdue
Wisconsin | Rutgers

I like the addition of OU and KU, too. KU isn't top five in FB, and not likely to be for a while. They could do well with B1G coverage. But OU in football and both of them in basketball are lights out for national coverage and eyes on TVs. They will both give MSU and MD fits in BB. Think about the coverage KU and OU got last year. And KU and MSU already play every year to a 'packed' national crowd.

Not enough TVs in Oklahoma and Kansas.
I think in a pie in the sky type of thought, it would be Geo Tech and Texas. Lots and lots of TVs. I dont think I want texas though. They have ruined 2 conferences already. They are a cancer.

Not enough TVs in Oklahoma and Kansas.
I think in a pie in the sky type of thought, it would be Geo Tech and Texas. Lots and lots of TVs. I dont think I want texas though. They have ruined 2 conferences already. They are a cancer.

texas would not be top tog in the Big 10, they would be one of 5-6 of the larger dogs but not making demands.

I think OU has a huge fan base including some in northern texas and around the country so they would have enough eyeballs on games, KU brings enough Missouri and Kansas eyeballs for football when you add in their Bball positives

West | East
Iowa | Indiana
Illinois | Maryland
Kansas | Michigan
Minnesota | Mich State
Nebraska | Ohio State
Oklahoma | Purdue
Wisconsin | Rutgers

that looks like a pretty balanced conference, 4 pretty strong or real strong teams in each division .

I think OU and Texas/ND would probably be the best for the conference. Most eyeballs, history, and recruiting territories.

Additionally, how exactly would the conference games be set up?

I would like to see more of other teams in the conference more often. Is there even a small chance that the conference schedule would be expanded to 10 or even 11 games? This would allow a two year hiatus between home and away series rather than 4-6 years. 1 or 2 "preseason" games I think this would up the TV monies even more getting rid of most of the directional tech/state team from nowhere.

Latest posts