Comparison of Polls vs CFP Poll - Pairings for 16 Team Playoff

eyekwah

It is interesting to compare polls against each other. If the CFP is used Iowa is 16th rated team. If the AP or Coaches is used Iowa is 19. If you use Sagarin Iowa is 16. If there were a 16 team playoff Iowa would be in based on the CFP.

2019 First Round of 16 team Playoff

Iowa vs LSU (16 vs 1)
Florida vs Wisconsin (9 vs 8)

Alabama vs Oklahoma (13 vs 4)
Auburn vs Georgia (12 vs 5)

Michigan vs Clemson (14 vs 3)
Utah vs Oregon (11 vs 6)

Notre Dame vs Ohio State (15 vs 2)
Penn State vs Baylor (10 vs 7)

There would be two rematches from the regular season in the first round; Auburn vs Georgia and Utah vs Oregon. There are three possible rematches in the second round Ohio State vs Penn State, Auburn vs Alabama, and Florida vs LSU. If the field was reduced to eight 5 conferences would be represented:B1G (2), BXII(2), SEC(2), P12(1), and ACC (1) . Because of the probable or possible rematches eight teams should be the maximum number of teams for the playoff.

If you go to a 16 team playoff, this weekend would have been the 1st round. This way you only add 1 game to the schedule for each team. It should have looked like this:

OSU vs Wisconsin
Oregon vs Utah
OU vs Baylor
Clemson vs Virginia
Georgia vs LSU
Florida vs ND
Penn St. vs Bama
Michigan vs Auburn (Little Gerrymandering to stop the B1G vs B1G and SEC vs SEC)

Iowa just missing the playoffs as the 1st team out.

I am not sure how anyone can want less teams in the hunt. During the Ferentz era alone that would have meant 5 playoff births for sure. Playoffs are more exciting as you add more teams, as then more fan bases have reason to be super pumped.

You re seed for the coming up 8 games left:

LSU vs ND
OU vs Oregon

OSU vs Auburn
Clemson vs Penn St.

In your scenario Iowa would get knocked out because they have to appease the non power 5 conferences. So Memphis would be the 16 seed playing LSU.

I like the Bowl system and I think the 4 team playoff is just right.

If you go to a 16 team playoff, this weekend would have been the 1st round. This way you only add 1 game to the schedule for each team. It should have looked like this:

OSU vs Wisconsin
Oregon vs Utah
OU vs Baylor
Clemson vs Virginia
Georgia vs LSU
Florida vs ND
Penn St. vs Bama
Michigan vs Auburn (Little Gerrymandering to stop the B1G vs B1G and SEC vs SEC)

I am not sure how anyone can want less teams in the hunt. During the Ferentz era alone that would have meant 5 playoff births for sure. Playoffs are more exciting as you add more teams, as then more fan bases have reason to be super pumped.

LSU vs ND
OU vs Oregon

OSU vs Auburn
Clemson vs Penn St.

Well you are stating the misconception that conf champ games would be in round 1 but that doesnt have to be the case.

And in reality with what we have seen over the small number of years of the CFPlayoffs there is usually a huge difference between even between 1# and #2 and number #4. So what is the need to go to a 16 team playoff where the top 4 teams will usually totally handle the teams from spots 13-16. No need for that.

For those that think one or two deserving teams get left out each year then go to an 8 team playoff. I think you would find an occasional competitive game in the first round between a team in spots 7-8 with teams #1 and #2.

Most times the top 2 or 3 teams are dominant. I think when OSU won the title a few years ago they might have been #4.

Well you are stating the misconception that conf champ games would be in round 1 but that doesnt have to be the case.

And in reality with what we have seen over the small number of years of the CFPlayoffs there is usually a huge difference between even between 1# and #2 and number #4. So what is the need to go to a 16 team playoff where the top 4 teams will usually totally handle the teams from spots 13-16. No need for that.

For those that think one or two deserving teams get left out each year then go to an 8 team playoff. I think you would find an occasional competitive game in the first round between a team in spots 7-8 with teams #1 and #2.

Most times the top 2 or 3 teams are dominant. I think when OSU won the title a few years ago they might have been #4.

You make some good points. I'd like to add that in many cases the conference championship games act as quarterfinal playoff games. Many times these games determines the participants in the 4 team playoffs.

In your scenario Iowa would get knocked out because they have to appease the non power 5 conferences. So Memphis would be the 16 seed playing LSU.

I like the Bowl system and I think the 4 team playoff is just right.

IMO an 8 team playoff would be nice - gives the Boise State types a shot, where in the current 4 team system they will always get squeezed out by P5 teams.

Sign me up OP. Bowl games are dead. If you’re not good enough to make the playoffs, you’re done, like every other level of football

OSU vs Wisconsin
Oregon vs Utah
OU vs Baylor
Clemson vs Virginia
Georgia vs LSU
Florida vs ND
Penn St. vs Bama

LSU vs ND
OU vs Oregon

OSU vs Auburn
Clemson vs Penn St.

8 is perfect.

IMO an 8 team playoff would be nice - gives the Boise State types a shot, where in the current 4 team system they will always get squeezed out by P5 teams.

Yep, each P5 conference gets a representative, the whatever they call the other teams gets a representative, then there are like two at-large bids to go to the Boise St or Central Florida's of the world who have an undefeated season but may not play in such a great conference.

I'm fine with where it's at but I love bowl games and conference championship games. If you go to 8 then I think they'd have to kill the conference championship games which, like I said, pretty much serve as quarterfinal games anyway. If they go to 8 then eventually they will go to 16 and I don't need to see the FBS turn into the FCS. I think bowl games are fun for both the fans and the players and an expanded playoff will eventually kill them.

I'm fine with where it's at but I love bowl games and conference championship games. If you go to 8 then I think they'd have to kill the conference championship games which, like I said, pretty much serve as quarterfinal games anyway. If they go to 8 then eventually they will go to 16 and I don't need to see the FBS turn into the FCS. I think bowl games are fun for both the fans and the players and an expanded playoff will eventually kill them.

I agree they do, which is why I like them and they should stay. They help select the teams. They won't have to go to 16 if they just stick with and not cave to $$$$. Look how long its taken to get a playoff and have had 4 game since. 16 would water down college football.

The Conf Champ games are definitely like round of 8 games. The quarterfinal round in a bracket takes 8 teams down to 4. So go with an 8 team playoff. But just to better make sure a team that is maybe 11-1 and hot gets in go overall to an 8 game playoff after Conf Champs.

After Conf Champ weekend you have right now 5 P5 champions/highly rated teams that get in. Let's dont let a Purdue that is 9-3 or Nebby that is 9-3 and wins the West Div then pulls off an upset get an automatic bid to an 8 team playoff.

More often than not the Conf Champ is going to be highly rated and one of the P5 teams that gets and invite. Then take your next highest ranked 3 teams. Top 8.

Give the teams 2 weeks off and play Quarterfinals about mid-December then play semi-finals and finals as they are right now.

To stop some squawking you could even go to 6 teams and play in mid-December with the top two seeds getting byes, the other 4 play two games and now you are down to 4 teams like now. Nothing hurt here

Latest posts