Come on...

HawkForce

Alright everyone I am as excited as everyone about the program but please dont set this years team up for failure in your eyes woth unrealistic expectations...theyre building but they wont.be an 17-20 win team this year...just be realistic...20 wins means youre on or close to the bubble...and we most certainly wont be a team near the bubble.

improvement should be good enough. This shouldn't be an issue as the conference lost a lot of talent over the last year.

You may be surprised. 10 wins in the pre-season looks doable and that leaves 7 wins in the BIG to get to 17. Big difference between 17 and 20 wins, but it's not a fantasy prediction. Maybe a bit optimistic but there's nothing wrong with that.

Alright everyone I am as excited as everyone about the program but please dont set this years team up for failure in your eyes woth unrealistic expectations...theyre building but they wont.be an 17-20 win team this year...just be realistic...20 wins means youre on or close to the bubble...and we most certainly wont be a team near the bubble.

Excitement and expectations of improvement do not in any way shape or form = setting team up for failure. For the record, I also don't beloved that saying they wont win 17 games before the season even starts is limiting the team.

Our individual expectations will not contribute to wins and losses.

I would like to see them get 15 wins. Looking at the schedule that seems reasonable. Depending on how good the Big 10 is this year, 17 is certainly not impossible. If we finish with 10-12 wins, I admit I will be disappointed.

Iowa can win 10 games preseason against teams that anything but tournament contenders.
They have three games with UNI, Creighton, and ISU. They could potentially win two of those games? One is more like it. That would be 10 to 12 wins preseason.

Iowa has 10 games with Northwestern, Indiana, Penn St, Nebraska, and Minnesota. I would hope that Iowa wins five of those at home. If they can win one or more on the road that would be five to seven wins. Of the remaining games, Iowa had some very close losses with the remaining teams and beat MSU (I don't remember if we beat any other teams in the top six in the B1G). It is not unrealistic to think Iowa will again beat one or two of those teams this year. That would would be five to nine wins.

Who knows, the Hawks might get hot and win one or two in the B1G tournament? That could potentially give the Hawks anywhere from 5 to 11 wins.

Iowa is one year older with seniors on the team who have been through conference play. Experience means a great deal in conference play. Iowa brings a new style of ball that other teams are not used to seeing from Iowa. We do lack depth so injuries are a key to this year's team. A lot of things have to go right for Iowa to come close to 11 wins in the B1G conference and tournament. They could potentially meet teams when teams are not playing well, have key injuries, or just don't play well that night. I suspect Iowa will be no cakewalk at home.

Iowa just needs some breaks and luck, something that has been in short supply in Iowa City for quite a few years.

Saying all of this...I think most people understand what Iowa has this year and are excited because Iowa is going to the opposite direction that Lickliter was taking Iowa. They now play an exciting brand of bb and Fran's recruiting appears to have the program headed in the right way.

Iowa can win 10 games preseason against teams that anything but tournament contenders.
They have three games with UNI, Creighton, and ISU. They could potentially win two of those games? One is more like it. That would be 10 to 12 wins preseason.

Iowa has 10 games with Northwestern, Indiana, Penn St, Nebraska, and Minnesota. I would hope that Iowa wins five of those at home. If they can win one or more on the road that would be five to seven wins. Of the remaining games, Iowa had some very close losses with the remaining teams and beat MSU (I don't remember if we beat any other teams in the top six in the B1G). It is not unrealistic to think Iowa will again beat one or two of those teams this year. That would would be five to nine wins.

Who knows, the Hawks might get hot and win one or two in the B1G tournament? That could potentially give the Hawks anywhere from 5 to 11 wins.

Iowa is one year older with seniors on the team who have been through conference play. Experience means a great deal in conference play. Iowa brings a new style of ball that other teams are not used to seeing from Iowa. We do lack depth so injuries are a key to this year's team. A lot of things have to go right for Iowa to come close to 11 wins in the B1G conference and tournament. They could potentially meet teams when teams are not playing well, have key injuries, or just don't play well that night. I suspect Iowa will be no cakewalk at home.

Iowa just needs some breaks and luck, something that has been in short supply in Iowa City for quite a few years.

Saying all of this...I think most people understand what Iowa has this year and are excited because Iowa is going to the opposite direction that Lickliter was taking Iowa. They now play an exciting brand of bb and Fran's recruiting appears to have the program headed in the right way.

Well said, NewMex. I honestly don't see how we don't get to at least 15 wins.

Common.

20 wins is one thing (not sure I see that), but this team has an excellent shot at 17.. Just about everyone back + newcomers, and a manageable schedule.

Unless you're assuming that the returning players will show no improvement at all, and the new additions to the roster will be worthless, I think 15+ is a pretty sure bet. Barring major injuries to key players, of course.

Very good post, NewMexHawk, very good indeed.....

I have a feeling that we will do well this season. The players themselves believe they will do well. I am certain that the team appreciates the enthusiasm and expectations to be better this season. I would imagine the team likes to see the excitement that has taken Hawkeye basketball lovers by storm.....

Another thread was just talking about how Fran is comfortable playing all 11 scholarship players. Perhaps you just don't want to admit it, but I think what you meant to say is that we lack talent.

Iowa has 10 games with Northwestern, Indiana, Penn St, Nebraska, and Minnesota. I would hope that Iowa wins five of those at home. If they can win one or more on the road that would be five to seven wins. []BOf the remaining games, Iowa had some very close losses with the remaining teams and beat MSU (I don't remember if we beat any other teams in the top six in the B1G)[/B]. It is not unrealistic to think Iowa will again beat one or two of those teams this year. That would would be five to nine wins.

You don't remember the Purdue game? Fail. :D

We have seen senior laden teams do quite well throughout the years just because of the great experience they have. Is Iowa the most talented team in the B1g...no. However, if Fran gets the players playing his style of ball (and they have had one year to get used to the style), the players play very hard, and they use all the experience they have, they get some breaks, and have some luck for a change, Iowa could win more games than many think. If they do all of this Iowa will be an exciting team to watch and that is where fan support comes in at home, which makes the players play even harder.

Heck, I don't know if they can win 20 games; I don't even know if they can or will win 17 games but if they play as hard as they can and put themselves in a position to win many games, they will make the season exciting and that attitude will just build on next season and the increase in talent.

Iowa is not deep with talent, that is why it is so very important that Iowa get lucky and stay away from injuries. Key injuries could really play havoc with this team...

the Purdue game came to mind as well, they were ranked #6 in the country, and lose JJ, you can't say they were flat for the game eiter, they had the BT championship in their grasp not to mention a high seed at stake in the NCAA Tourney, also if you care to look the games were very close

If everyone stays healthy 18 to 19 wins regular season plus two more wins in the B1G tourney. "Woodbury is a Hawkeye" I stuck to my guns on that statement and I am sticking to my prediction that by the end of the season Iowa will have twenty wins or more.

I think the majority of fans are keeping things in perspective and are not setting this season up so that it will be a failure if we don't win 17-20 games. I do, however, think getting to 17 wins is feasible but if that does not happen I am not going to abandon ship and say the season was a wash. I think the majority of fans just want to see improvement, and they understand this truly is a rebuilding process for Fran and each year another brick (or bricks) will be added to the foundation.

We have seen senior laden teams do quite well throughout the years just because of the great experience they have. Is Iowa the most talented team in the B1g...no. However, if Fran gets the players playing his style of ball (and they have had one year to get used to the style), the players play very hard, and they use all the experience they have, they get some breaks, and have some luck for a change, Iowa could win more games than many think. If they do all of this Iowa will be an exciting team to watch and that is where fan support comes in at home, which makes the players play even harder.

Heck, I don't know if they can win 20 games; I don't even know if they can or will win 17 games but if they play as hard as they can and put themselves in a position to win many games, they will make the season exciting and that attitude will just build on next season and the increase in talent.

Iowa is not deep with talent, that is why it is so very important that Iowa get lucky and stay away from injuries. Key injuries could really play havoc with this team...

22+ wins!!!! Where do I buy my NCAA tourney tickets?

Most of you posters need to realistically examine what you think the possibilities are for this year. Come to terms with it: we don't have a good basketball team.

I don't have any expectations when it comes to how many wind they get, which might be why it is so exciting to watch. I like being the underdog. Knowing that the program is going the right direction is enough for me.
However I will find it funny IF they get 20 wins and prove all of the people wrong who KNOW for sure they can't do it. Let's see what they can do first.