Comcast v BTN

Jonrn

Has anyone heard any updates about what’s going on in the stupid BTN battle with Comcast? Any hopes of it being resolved? I hate dish and don’t want to switch.

There’s been no real update. The two sides apparently aren’t even talking. From what I understand, folks in the athletic department are expecting that no Iowa games will be on Comcast

There’s been no real update. The two sides apparently aren’t even talking. From what I understand, folks in the athletic department are expecting that no Iowa games will be on Comcast

So just BTN? Or fox games as well?

I know it's a business, but Comcast can go "..... themselves". NOBODY likes them, not even the clients they serve. Perfect company for Congress to break up, but won't.

Just BTN. I don’t think Fox does NCAA games based on region the way they do NFL games. For example, you’ll be seeing Iowa vs Iowa State on Fox whether you’re in Lames or Florida.

One more question..sorry..has anyone had luck watching BTN on Hulu? I’m in Florida, so it may be the best choice, because Florida thunderstorms always knock out dish.

One more question..sorry..has anyone had luck watching BTN on Hulu? I’m in Florida, so it may be the best choice, because Florida thunderstorms always knock out dish.

I did it that way last year. Honestly, it was infancy for Hulu Live, and I preferred PSVue. But with Hulu Live being about $40, and PSVue now going to $55, it's no longer a contest. You might also try YouTubeTV, slightly less than Hulu Live IIRC.

I know it's a business, but Comcast can go "..... themselves". NOBODY likes them, not even the clients they serve. Perfect company for Congress to break up, but won't.
As shitty as Comcast/Charter/AT&T are, they are in a shitty spot that is driven in large part by sports programming. Every asshat MBA who works for the content companies has decided that their content is very valuable and so the cable companies are dealing with a technological revolution that is rendering them moot, changing consumer tastes that are moving quickly away from cable TV and extortionate carriage fees that the content providers are trying to charge. Yeah, it's great that the Big Ten schools are getting all this money, but the pricing model just is not sustainable and the cable companies are fighting back against these carriage fees. So while Comcast is far from perfect, they are fighting against a major asshole on the other side.

As shitty as Comcast/Charter/AT&T are, they are in a shitty spot that is driven in large part by sports programming. Every asshat MBA who works for the content companies has decided that their content is very valuable and so the cable companies are dealing with a technological revolution that is rendering them moot, changing consumer tastes that are moving quickly away from cable TV and extortionate carriage fees that the content providers are trying to charge. Yeah, it's great that the Big Ten schools are getting all this money, but the pricing model just is not sustainable and the cable companies are fighting back against these carriage fees. So while Comcast is far from perfect, they are fighting against a major asshole on the other side.
Hah Karma is the biggest bitch

FYI...Fox Sports 1 is included in this dispute. B1G games on that channel won't be seen either.

Drop Comcast right now. You signed up for their programming. They have violated their contract by not providing BTN. Cable is dying rapidly. It is vastly overpriced, requires too much equipment making it rather cumbersome, and they are complete a-holes to deal with.....

Streaming is the new option that is much less expensive and the quality is equal to any cable service. All you need is capable internet service.....

I have tried them all, DirecTV now, Playstation Vue, and have chosen YouTube TV, which I consider the best. Excellent format and unlimited DVR. It has all the sports channels and all the basic cable channels. I get local ABC, CBS, and Fox with YouTube TV also. I use an indoor antenna to get PBS and NBC and any other local channels available. I pay $45 a month for YouTube

I have CenturyLink for Internet, which costs $60 plus tax for 100 MBPS. It works very well for three TVs in constant use, 2 XBoxes, 3 laptops and OOMA for telephone service.....

OOMA is vastly superior to cable landline. They have a no telemarketing option and all services, Caller ID, Voicemail, etc. Bought the hardware for $70 from Amazon Prime and pay $14 a month for the service. Crystal Clear connections are a welcome bonus.....

One might not need landline. Smartphones certainly would suffice.....

I also have Hulu with no commercials for about $12 a month.

You can try all the streaming services for free and choose which one you prefer. There is no contract so one can change them every month if so desired.....

It costs about $135 a month for Streaming TV, Internet, and Landline Telephone.....

Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Hulu are about $34 a month.....

:cool:

Has anyone heard any updates about what’s going on in the stupid BTN battle with Comcast? Any hopes of it being resolved? I hate dish and don’t want to switch.

I'd seriously look at going with a streaming service at this point. They all have BTN. There is absolutely no reason to go with cable or a satellite now with what is offered streaming and for the price. Plus, you don't have all that stupid equipment and cords or drop service in the rain.

Drop Comcast right now. You signed up for their programming. They have violated their contract by not providing BTN. Cable is dying rapidly. It is vastly overpriced, requires too much equipment making it rather cumbersome, and they are complete a-holes to deal with.....

Streaming is the new option that is much less expensive and the quality is equal to any cable service. All you need is capable internet service.....

I have tried them all, DirecTV now, Playstation Vue, and have chosen YouTube TV, which I consider the best. Excellent format and unlimited DVR. It has all the sports channels and all the basic cable channels. I get local ABC, CBS, and Fox with YouTube TV also. I use an indoor antenna to get PBS and NBC and any other local channels available. I pay $45 a month for YouTube

I have CenturyLink for Internet, which costs $60 plus tax for 100 MBPS. It works very well for three TVs in constant use, 2 XBoxes, 3 laptops and OOMA for telephone service.....

OOMA is vastly superior to cable landline. They have a no telemarketing option and all services, Caller ID, Voicemail, etc. Bought the hardware for $70 from Amazon Prime and pay $14 a month for the service. Crystal Clear connections are a welcome bonus.....

You can try all the streaming services for free and choose which one you prefer. There is no contract so one can change them every month if so desired.....

It costs about $135 a month for Streaming TV, Internet, and Landline Telephone.....

I also have the OOMA phone. It's been great. Literally pay about $5 a month just for the taxes, 911 surcharge etc.. No other fees once purchase the hardware.

TV I also have YouTube TV. In my area I get all the locals including NBC. There is absolutely no reason to have cable or satellite now.

@thedukeofearl & @MelroseHawkins Tell me more about OOMA. Is the router a full router? Like could I plug in Google WiFi into it for wireless coverage? How configurable is the router itself? Or is it just for the OOMA service and you have to have a separate router for everything else? Is it free long distance? Or only local? Any idea if I can port my existing landline number to them?

Sorry for the laundry-list of questions. :)

Thanks!

Has anyone here had Hulu live? I've had problems with Vue and I'm planning on making the switch (cheaper also). If it helps, I don't watch one single bit of TV that isn't a sporting event or sports-related news. None. All I want are ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, BTN, and Fox.

Just wondering what the playback experience has been.

Oh, and I also NEED to have 60 fps frame rate. 30 fps is absolute murder when watching anything fast paced. It looks like there's a strobe light on in the room.

EDIT: I see after looking it up that Hulu is 60 fps on everything other than CBS affiliates.

Last edited:
@thedukeofearl & @MelroseHawkins Tell me more about OOMA. Is the router a full router? Like could I plug in Google WiFi into it for wireless coverage? How configurable is the router itself? Or is it just for the OOMA service and you have to have a separate router for everything else? Is it free long distance? Or only local? Any idea if I can port my existing landline number to them?

Sorry for the laundry-list of questions. :)

Thanks!

Not sure about the Google WiFi. I know my OOMA box is plugged into my either modem or wireless router. Can't remember without looking. There are different ways to configure/set it up.

YES - Free long distance, I think. May have to verify.
YES - Has typical voice mail, call block features, etc..
YES - You can port your existing land line phone number and use that

It really is a good deal. My techy IT guy at the university told me about it. I needed a phone at home as my young boys could start to be left at home at times and they didn't have cell phones at that time. Was a cheap way to have a "landline". I was very surprised at the clarity of the phone and I just purchased some inexpensive V-Tech phone as I didn't have one lying around the house.

It's been very stable and has all the features of a regular phone. I might have to check on your long distance question. I thought was free but I never use it to call long distance.

Do you have the Bluetooth OOMA?

Thanks @MelroseHawkins, I'm going to have to look into that.

What is your Internet speed? Both download and upload? I currently have 60Mbps down and 5Mbps up via CenturyLink DSL. I'm wondering if the 5 will be sufficient for this, since DSL doesn't offer any faster upload speeds.

Thanks @MelroseHawkins, I'm going to have to look into that.

What is your Internet speed? Both download and upload? I currently have 60Mbps down and 5Mbps up via CenturyLink DSL. I'm wondering if the 5 will be sufficient for this, since DSL doesn't offer any faster upload speeds.

I believe when I went to streaming 3 mo ago I went to 60 down and 10 up to try to see how it works. It has worked fine for all my streaming and devices so far. No latency that I can see. Work sets me up with a pretty good router so usually never get outdated there. I have South Slope.

Checked and with OOMA phone you get free all of US calling.

I believe when I went to streaming 3 mo ago I went to 60 down and 10 up to try to see how it works. It has worked fine for all my streaming and devices so far. No latency that I can see. Work sets me up with a pretty good router so usually never get outdated there. I have South Slope.

Sounds good. I'm going to have to give OOMA a try I think.

Latest posts