Colorado / NCAA Selection Committee

VenturaAce

Colorado has the best basketball team in ages and should make the NCAA tournament...

...only problem is that Colorado decided to leave the Big XII for greener pastures in the Pac 10 (football driven)...

...guess who sits on the NCAA basketball selection committee this year? Their very own conference commissioner, Dan Beebe. Normally you'd think your commish would look out for you, especially when you beat #6 seed K State 3 times.

But no, they get snubbed. And when Gene Smith, the committee chair, is asked by CBS as to why Colorado did not get in. He responds that "they just didn't get enough votes" from the committee! Wow, the Big XII stuck it to Nebraska in football this year with the bowl invite, and now Colorado gets it during basketball season.

Another example of how corrupt college athletics can be...

Have to agree here. They really stuck it to Nebraska (which was kind of amusing) and now Colorado, which is pretty pathetic. Really makes the conference look bitter and immature IMO. Hopefully they won't be around much longer!

I agree that this is a reflection of the "professionalism" of the Big XII ... the won't make it 5 years

According to rules, Beebe isn't allowed to be in the room when discussing teams from his conference, or vote for them.

How fair is the process for selecting the at-large teams?
The committee’s goal is to treat every team fairly in producing the brackets. The established principles and procedures themselves go a long way toward ensuring impartiality. For example, conference representatives cannot be in the room when teams from their conference are being discussed for inclusion, let alone being allowed to vote for them.

Their non-conference SOS was like 325th. I don't know how many times the selection committee is going to have to say that non-conference SOS matters before people start to get it.

In Huggy's first year at KSU, they went 10-6 with 22 wins and had a 56 RPI and got left out. This year, CU went 8-8 with 21 wins and a 66 RPI and got left out. Their noncon SOS sucked. Check out UAB and VCU's noncons... much better. The NCAA has been pushing this for years. Believe it or not, there probably isn't a conspiracy here. And, if they simply beat ISU, they are probably in.

I'm pretty sure they didn't get in because they just weren't that good.

They were a good team, but struggled pretty bad away from home. Better than Illinois, PSU, and MSU. If the Big 12 commish wanted to screw Colorado for leaving, I have no problem with that. Rather, I think it was a Big 10 AD who tried to get every available spot for Big 10 teams, despite being possibly the most overrated conference of the year. Big 12 did not lose ONE game to the Big 10 this year.

Rather, I think it was a Big 10 AD who tried to get every available spot for Big 10 teams, despite being possibly the most overrated conference of the year.
Really? They were the 2nd best conference behind the Big East.

Big 12 did not lose ONE game to the Big 10 this year.
Doesn't that just cover 2 games? I honestly can't remember and don't care enough to look it up.

They were a good team, but struggled pretty bad away from home. Better than Illinois, PSU, and MSU.
KenPom ratings:
Illinois 20
PSU 39
MSU 41
Colorado 49

Sagarin Ratings:
Illinois 27
MSU 37
PSU 45
Colorado 49

RealTimeRPI
PSU 39
MSU 46
Illinois 48
Colorado 65

I really don't think people grasp just how soft Colorado's schedule was.

Because it's an opinion, unless stats are everything. The Big 10 is a very good league this year. Whether it is as good as the Big East is debatable.

Latest posts