Colorado, Arizona to Big 12?

If that's the bar, there aren't many schools left outside of a blatant raid of another conference/market like Texas or Florida that would check off all the boxes.
The latest is a couple of full ACC schools would (UNC & UVA) besides pseudo ACC (ND). But until more schools want out than want to stay, we'll have to wait a decade almost for these schools.

If that's the bar, there aren't many schools left outside of a blatant raid of another conference/market like Texas or Florida that would check off all the boxes.
I think this is the case. The B1G is holding out for Notre Dame, then they'll figure out the last addition (North Carolina?) to get to 16 and stay there.

I think this is the case. The B1G is holding out for Notre Dame, then they'll figure out the last addition (North Carolina?) to get to 16 and stay there.
The latest is a couple of full ACC schools would (UNC & UVA) besides pseudo ACC (ND). But until more schools want out than want to stay, we'll have to wait a decade almost for these schools.

I don't see anybody in the ACC (outside of Notre Dame) that brings a big TV market.

SDSU sent a letter to the MWC yesterday saying they "intend to resign" from the conference, which I guess is NOT the same thing as saying they resign today.

Everybody is a little confused, but the MWC decided to interpret as saying SDSU resigned yesterday and will start withholding funds from SDSU starting yesterday

San Diego State gave notice today to the Mountain West conference of their intentin to leave. They didn't say where they are going, though.

Turns out, SDSU has to pay a $17M exit fee for leaving the MWC. But, if they waited until after June 30 the exit fee rises to $34M.

Last edited:
17 Mil is a pretty modest amount if they are joining the Pac 12 and will get a piece of that TV revenue. Its a no brainer. 11 is a bad number. I would love to see the Pac 12 go on the offensive and try to grab BYU or Boise. I have no idea how locked in they are with the Big 12, but they both would fit better in the PAC whatever.

17 Mil is a pretty modest amount if they are joining the Pac 12 and will get a piece of that TV revenue. Its a no brainer. 11 is a bad number. I would love to see the Pac 12 go on the offensive and try to grab BYU or Boise. I have no idea how locked in they are with the Big 12, but they both would fit better in the PAC whatever.
I don't think Boise is headed anywhere, at least yet.

San Diego State gave notice today to the Mountain West conference of their intentin to leave. They didn't say where they are going, though.

Turns out, SDSU has to pay a $17M exit fee for leaving the MWC. But, if they waited until after June 30 the exit fee rises to $34M.

Chuck Long still coaching there?

copy and paste from the internet regarding the question about Chuck Long:

After his NFL playing days were done, Long was an assistant coach at Iowa and Oklahoma, the head coach at San Diego State for three years, and the offensive coordinator at Kansas.

In 2014, he became the CEO and executive director of the Iowa Sports Foundation. Coaching was in the past until he was on Jonathan Hayes’ coaching staff of the XFL’s St. Louis Battlehawks in 2019 and 2020, and then the pandemic hit.

Arlington Renegades head coach Bob Stoops added Hayes and Long to his staff, and they had a five-month experience in Texas this year.

“I thought I was done coaching,” Long said Monday from Arlington as he was packing up to head home to Iowa. “Bob gave me a call. I said I’d be honored to join him, and I did.

The Renegades were 4-6 in the regular season, but that was good enough for a second-place finish in the four-team South Division of the eight-team league. They upset first-place Houston in the South playoff, 26-11, then beat the DC team that had won 10 of its other 11 games. So, Chuck Long just got fitted for another championship ring with Bob Stoops Arlington Renegades.

Long said he’ll consider returning to Arlington next year if Stoops still is running things, and Stoops says that’s his plan for now. Stoops said he likes the XFL because “It’s just football. No recruiting, no compliance meetings, no babysitting players.

“Plus, the XFL season runs during the worst three golfing months of the year.”

For Long, it’s a labor of love. He lived in an Arlington hotel for four months, walking a mile to work each day “to get my steps in.”

Wednesday, Long will be back in Ames for his full-time job, at an Iowa Sports Foundation board meeting.

And, he’ll be watching the mail. A new ring will be showing up one of these days.

Comments: (319) 398-8440; mike.hlas@thegazette.com

Its like coaching high school football on TV and with professional players. 3 months and then done. I get the appeal. College or NFL coaching would be such a grind.

copy and paste from the internet regarding the question about Chuck Long:

After his NFL playing days were done, Long was an assistant coach at Iowa and Oklahoma, the head coach at San Diego State for three years, and the offensive coordinator at Kansas.

In 2014, he became the CEO and executive director of the Iowa Sports Foundation. Coaching was in the past until he was on Jonathan Hayes’ coaching staff of the XFL’s St. Louis Battlehawks in 2019 and 2020, and then the pandemic hit.

Arlington Renegades head coach Bob Stoops added Hayes and Long to his staff, and they had a five-month experience in Texas this year.

“I thought I was done coaching,” Long said Monday from Arlington as he was packing up to head home to Iowa. “Bob gave me a call. I said I’d be honored to join him, and I did.

The Renegades were 4-6 in the regular season, but that was good enough for a second-place finish in the four-team South Division of the eight-team league. They upset first-place Houston in the South playoff, 26-11, then beat the DC team that had won 10 of its other 11 games. So, Chuck Long just got fitted for another championship ring with Bob Stoops Arlington Renegades.

Long said he’ll consider returning to Arlington next year if Stoops still is running things, and Stoops says that’s his plan for now. Stoops said he likes the XFL because “It’s just football. No recruiting, no compliance meetings, no babysitting players.

“Plus, the XFL season runs during the worst three golfing months of the year.”

For Long, it’s a labor of love. He lived in an Arlington hotel for four months, walking a mile to work each day “to get my steps in.”

Wednesday, Long will be back in Ames for his full-time job, at an Iowa Sports Foundation board meeting.

And, he’ll be watching the mail. A new ring will be showing up one of these days.

Comments: (319) 398-8440; mike.hlas@thegazette.com
So....
The Stoops HC package comes with Long and Hayes?
Hmmm.....

Chuck Long is still my all time favorite Hawkeye. With him at QB we just won.

I do have a question. If he is the full time head of the Iowa Sports Foundation and I assume paid well for it, how does he get away with taking 3-4 months off? Is he double dipping?

Does anyone else remember how he left San Diego St? He got relieved of coaching duties but wasn't fired or some such thing. Anyway, for the last one to two years of his contract, he got paid, had an office that he had to go to, but he didn't have to do a thing other than just show up. Who wouldn't love to have a big paycheck, not have to do anything and live in San Diego? His family and he must have loved it.

Typically anything with the word "foundation" in it is not exactly a grueling job. I suspect he was hired because of his name and has important duties as a figurehead, but not day to day management duties. I am sure they were able to work out a sabatical to keep his name in the press.

Typically anything with the word "foundation" in it is not exactly a grueling job. I suspect he was hired because of his name and has important duties as a figurehead, but not day to day management duties. I am sure they were able to work out a sabatical to keep his name in the press.

The dudes over at Tommy's Foundation Restoration and Repair would disagree with your assessment of the difficulty of work.

Latest posts