College Football News: Iowa State to Big Ten

You realize the teams in the superconferences would basically run the NCAA, right? Kind of like they do now.

They may run the NCAA but they don't get the revenue that is out there and there is a huge difference between running the NCAA and getting the revenue from these NCAA sanctioned tournaments.

By creating their own entity these super conferences probably do lose tax exempt status but their payday would be so big that it wouldn't matter.

The quote of the article: "No one really wants Iowa State, and it’s not a great fit for the Big Ten, but it’ll be an easy fit in the same division as Iowa, Minnesota, and Missouri."

I take an exception with this statement: "Notre Dame will make a big stink about possibly going to the Pac-18 or the SEC, but academically and geographically, the pressure will be too much to not join the Big Ten."

While the television contract for the Big 18 will be lucrative, it will not surpass the deal that ND already has going with NBC as it will have to be split 18 ways. It the BCS is abolished, it takes one bullet out of the gun that the Big 10 would be holding to ND's proverbial head. With the threat of being left out of a realigned BCS gone and a "fair" playoff system in place, ND can go it alone with a huge TV contract and an automatic in to the post season.

As much as I'd like to see ND in the Big 10, the scenario Mr. Fiutak proposes makes it even more likely that Notre Dame remains an independent.

The quote of the article: "No one really wants Iowa State, and it’s not a great fit for the Big Ten, but it’ll be an easy fit in the same division as Iowa, Minnesota, and Missouri."

I take an exception with this statement: "Notre Dame will make a big stink about possibly going to the Pac-18 or the SEC, but academically and geographically, the pressure will be too much to not join the Big Ten."

While the television contract for the Big 18 will be lucrative, it will not surpass the deal that ND already has going with NBC as it will have to be split 18 ways. It the BCS is abolished, it takes one bullet out of the gun that the Big 10 would be holding to ND's proverbial head. With the threat of being left out of a realigned BCS gone and a "fair" playoff system in place, ND can go it alone with a huge TV contract and an automatic in to the post season.

As much as I'd like to see ND in the Big 10, the scenario Mr. Fiutak proposes makes it even more likely that Notre Dame remains an independent.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I've seen numbers somewhere that the B1G schools are making more money with the BTN contract than what Notre Dame is making with its NBC contract. I cannot quote nor do I remember where I seen it as this was discussed last year before Nebraska was added.

College Football News is running an article by Pete Fiutak (a pretty good writer, IMO) predicting an 18 team Big Ten Super Conference including Iowa State in Iowa's division. The Super Conferences then lead to a national playoff. I thought this was an interesting concept. Before you laugh it off, consider this:

1. It cements the Iowa-Iowa State rivalry game and takes it to a new level.
2. Iowa State is a very strong academic institution, and therefore a good fit.
3. Iowa State is a natural border rival for Nebraska and Minnesota.

It seems far-fetched, but maybe not so much when you consider that the Big Ten is going to keep expanding. The article mentioned that the other teams would be Pitt, Rutgers, Syracuse, Notre Dame and Missouri (all very logical, IMO).

I think the flaw in the article is that Iowa State doesn't bring a lot of new TVs to the conference, but that is probably not so important if those other teams come in.

I'm not sure it would be a great thing for the Hawks, but we compete against them in recruiting anyway (remember, they are a member of a very good Big 12 conference), so perhaps it would be at worst a "neutral" for Iowa.

I'm interested in what others think. Jon Miller, what do you think of this article (sorry, I'm computer illiterate, so I don't have the link; just Google College Football News and you'll see the article as the lead today).

Sorry but the article simply is exploiting all of the expansion buzz. Given the Big 10's MO ... it isn't going to happen like that.

The ONLY driving force behind expansion is MONEY. However, the Big 10 administrators will not just accept any program either. The programs that get accepted also have to benefit the Big 10 both in terms of athletics AND academics. And perhaps the most important criterion is "fit." I'd argue that ISU simply isn't a good enough fit because they don't value their athletics as much as some of the other Big 10 programs. Furthermore, those Big 10 programs that aren't athletically inclined tend to compensate for any deficiency by having stellar academics.

Given many of the above criteria, I have a hard time seeing the Big 10 expand west or immediately south. Colorado and Texas are two of the very few programs to our south and west who might satisfy the criteria. Thus, the odds are that the Big 10 would most likely expand east. And, as most folks rightly state ... Notre Dame would likely still be one of the top places on the Big 10's "wish list."

Correct me if I'm wrong but I've seen numbers somewhere that the B1G schools are making more money with the BTN contract than what Notre Dame is making with its NBC contract. I cannot quote nor do I remember where I seen it as this was discussed last year before Nebraska was added.

Quote from NYT article:

NBC is paying about $15 million a year in the current deal, enough to help fund most of the reported $18 million Notre Dame must pay to buy out Weis’s contract.

I believe each B1G school gets 22mil from the BTN
TV Sports - NBC Still Likes Its Notre Dame Strategy - NYTimes.com

Last edited:
If the conferences go super, they can set up their bowl system as a dedicated system thus forcing ND to join or be locked out.

Additionally, with the added games, the FBS teams that now play ND could drop those games.

Really pretty simple, if superconferences happen ND will have to play along.

I don't buy it. It will never happen. How many large corporations are going to buy out another company just because they have hard working employees who live close to the headquarters.

I have been an advocate of the superconference model since it first came up.

I have gone back and forth with the 16 or 18 number. At 18, you would have to add a team or 2 that doesn't really belong. At 16 you leave at least a couple of borderline teams out.

By borderline, I mean teams with the fan and booster support to contribute financially.

That's was my thought as well. With 18 teams, an ISU can get in.

With 16 teams, still very important to add TV sets, so a few teams off the top of my head would be Rutgers/Syracuse, ND, Missouri, then maybe reach further south to a GA Tech type institution? ND is not interested currently, but a seismic shift in the CFB landscape like super-conferences may not leave them a choice?

I find it very very difficult to believe that the Big10 will go to 18 teams. THAT would destroy the Big10 as a conference. There is absolutely NO reason for conferences to go to 18 teams...none whatsoever.

I also find it difficult that a school like isu could go to court and force a conference to take their sorry a$$.

Any good lawyer could argue to the court about how worthless the clown program is and has been. The courts would laugh the clowns out of town trying to force a conference that wants nothing to do with them, to take them, just because they might be left out.

How about Conference USA, the MWC, or the WAC, even the MAC, do ya think they could go to court and force the Big10, SEC, Big East, or Pac10 to take THEM because THEY might be left? Some schools are just going to be left out if conferences go to 14 or 16 teams.

I hate the super conference idea too but I don't agree with the bolded statement at all either. Why do you say this?

When the B12 finally falls apart the B10, SEC and PAC10 will take the big players and leave the scraps like ISU, Baylor etc to scramble for themselves.
The ISU/Iowa rivalry has been overstated. ISU is sandwiched between Nebraska and the University of Iowa and their influence is limited to a small area around Ames.

As Homer Hawkeye stated; "..the driving force is money". Adding a new team will make smaller money splits for everyone, so the new team has to bring something to the table. ISU and other smaller programs bring nothing.

Imagine that you are a AD for a mediocre program like Baylor, ISU, Rutgers, Syracuse and the big schools are making moves to leave. All you can do is watch them leave and hope someone throws you a lifeline.

Last edited:
When the B12 finally falls apart the B10, SEC and PAC10 will take the big players and leave the scraps like ISU, Baylor etc to scramble for themselves.
The ISU/Iowa rivalry has been overstated. ISU is sandwiched between Nebraska and the University of Iowa and their influence is limited to a small area around Ames.

As Homer Hawkeye stated; "..the driving force is money". Adding a new team will make smaller money splits for everyone, so the new team has to bring something to the table. ISU and other smaller programs bring nothing.

Imagine that you are a AD for a mediocre program like Baylor, ISU, Rutgers, Syracuse and the big schools are making moves to leave. All you can do is watch them leave and hope someone throws you a lifeline.

Syracuse and Rutgers could help the Big 10 extend the "footprint" of the B10 network. More importantly, both Rutgers and Syracuse are excellent when it comes to academics ... and that would be a great plus when it comes to resource sharing between the different research universities.

Iowa State isn't as alluring because it doesn't extend the footprint, it doesn't have a national sports draw like ND, and it simply isn't as strong academically.

BTW, the Big 10 would never consider Baylor for expansion. Notre Dame is the only school with a religious affiliation that the Big 10 would even remotely consider bringing into the fold.

The clowns can always join Conference USA, the MAC, or the Mountain West Conference. There is nothing saying that a team, just because it was a former BCS team, HAS to be included in a major conference. The superconferences could always allow teams from these other leagues a chance to compete in a championship. THAT is all they would have to do, similar to what conferences do now.

18 teams......really. Why not just make it an even 20 and add UNI and Drake? This is a laughable scenario and the person who wrote it should never be allowed to write about anything related to humanity again.

edit: in an after thought, this should further prove to the clowns that they are never getting into the B1G. If it takes a scenario so delusional for them to get in, they should just stop whinning about it now.

Quote from NYT article:

NBC is paying about $15 million a year in the current deal, enough to help fund most of the reported $18 million Notre Dame must pay to buy out Weis’s contract.

I believe each B1G school gets 22mil from the BTN
TV Sports - NBC Still Likes Its Notre Dame Strategy - NYTimes.com

First of all, Notre Dame does not need the Big Ten Network's money. Looking at their latest financial statements available online for all to see, the return the college makes on their endowment would dwarf anything they could get from us. They don't need the Big Ten financially, period.

That being said, if the landscape changes as others have posted regarding the BCS, they may be forced to join.

I've wondered just how long Notre Dame is going to be able to milk NBC. The profile of Notre Dame isn't what it used to be. I wonder how their games copare in the ratings to other BCS games on Saturday afternoon.

18 teams......really. Why not just make it an even 20 and add UNI and Drake? This is a laughable scenario and the person who wrote it should never be allowed to write about anything related to humanity again.

edit: in an after thought, this should further prove to the clowns that they are never getting into the B1G. If it takes a scenario so delusional for them to get in, they should just stop whinning about it now.
Pot calling the kettle black. Typical Cornhusker, but I guess you are a Des Moines Husker, so not a true Husker, opinion voided.

The clowns can always join Conference USA, the MAC, or the Mountain West Conference. There is nothing saying that a team, just because it was a former BCS team, HAS to be included in a major conference. The superconferences could always allow teams from these other leagues a chance to compete in a championship. THAT is all they would have to do, similar to what conferences do now.
Never happening so your wet dream can end. If the Clones go to the Big 10 you will be on suicide watch. ISU will forever be in a power conference.

Latest posts