College Football Analytics Phil Parker Evaluation

I must be getting old, because I believe Iowa can be better on offense and that Iowa should have been the last couple years, but lack of talent prevailed.

Just wish the coaches had their backs against the wall a couple of years ago, the last couple of years may not have happened.

If Gary Barta had any balls he would have confronted Kirk about his underperforming, and hint at the idea of promoting Phil to head coach if he keeps proving to be the best coach on the staff.

At some point, the lack of talent and lack of execution excuse gets old on offense. When things aren't working, you make adjustments. Iowa's defense used to have a problem that it would get tired in 4Q, especially the Defensive Line. Solution: Phil Parker switches to 8 man rotation on DL. Iowa's defense used to have problems against spread defenses. Solution: Iowa switches to 4-2-5 alignment against the spread.

My point, Phil Parker makes adjustments to help make the defense get better.

Now to be fair, I am not saying the offense never tries new things. Iowa probably runs the shotgun as much now as it does the old fullback setup. A few years ago, they were experimenting with the wildcat. But somehow the offense always seems to regress back to its old self. The last 2 years have been especially bad. Although they did try adding more motion pre-snap starting around mid-season last season. But something seems off lately. I think Brian misses KOK and is in over his head. Unless he is saying he has no plan how to fix it. He is hoping bringing in better players and OL will help. I hope so too. Because if the offense does not get better with the better players and better OL, I have no confidence Brian can fix it.

It may be a lack of talent but I doubt it. We have known for years how to develop offensive linemen. The coaches need to be ashamed to be so poor on offense and fix it. I am sure there are coaches in great offensive programs who could be acquired.

It may be a lack of talent but I doubt it. We have known for years how to develop offensive linemen. The coaches need to be ashamed to be so poor on offense and fix it. I am sure there are coaches in great offensive programs who could be acquired.
Yes, because if they don't try something to fix it, not only does it hurt the team it also gives the optics that they're too stubborn to admit that what they're doing doesn't work anymore.

I still stand by my premise that the staff will not take unnecessary chances on offense when they know they have an elite defense and special teams. During the Stanley era when the defense wasn't as elite they knew they were going to get into some track meets and planned accordingly.

And no Kirk doesn't play boring football just to stick it to the fans or just because he thinks he's untouchable. Those are boring, shallow and tired narratives that a seven year old could make.

As good as they were last year, the stats were influenced by playing some really bad offenses and one (OSU) good one. UM played it very close to the vest, protecting the young QB in his first big road game. For that reason Harbaugh was quite pleased at their performance

At some point, the lack of talent and lack of execution excuse gets old on offense. When things aren't working, you make adjustments. Iowa's defense used to have a problem that it would get tired in 4Q, especially the Defensive Line. Solution: Phil Parker switches to 8 man rotation on DL. Iowa's defense used to have problems against spread defenses. Solution: Iowa switches to 4-2-5 alignment against the spread.

Now to be fair, I am not saying the offense never tries new things. Iowa probably runs the shotgun as much now as it does the old fullback setup. A few years ago, they were experimenting with the wildcat. But somehow the offense always seems to regress back to its old self. The last 2 years have been especially bad. Although they did try adding more motion pre-snap starting around mid-season last season. But something seems off lately. I think Brian misses KOK and is in over his head. Unless he is saying he has no plan how to fix it. He is hoping bringing in better players and OL will help. I hope so too. Because if the offense does not get better with the better players and better OL, I have no confidence Brian can fix it.
Good job in both paragraphs. Cuts to the chase.

Yes, because if they don't try something to fix it, not only does it hurt the team it also gives the optics that they're too stubborn to admit that what they're doing doesn't work anymore.

I still stand by my premise that the staff will not take unnecessary chances on offense when they know they have an elite defense and special teams. During the Stanley era when the defense wasn't as elite they knew they were going to get into some track meets and planned accordingly.

And no Kirk doesn't play boring football just to stick it to the fans or just because he thinks he's untouchable. Those are boring, shallow and tired narratives that a seven year old could make.
Yup

Kirk and Brian will not solve the problem with the Iowa offense.
They are the problem.

Iowa's offense will never be great given KF's approach. We just need it to be competent. I disagree with those suggesting that it will not be because of BF and KF. Under KF, and even sporadically under BF, the offense has been competent. It has not been the last two seasons because of a very bad QB, young OL, and below average skill players. Everyone of those issues has been addressed in a big way.

This is a cliche but it is just fucking true: It's not about the Xs and the Os, its about the Jimmys and the Joes. Our Joes are much better this season across the board.

Yeah it feels like BF is putting his eggs in the basket that with better players they'll be able to execute better on 1st and 2nd downs and the domino effect of that will make the O significantly better. It's certainly an angle to take. But it's not an end all be all. He's still gotta stop calling for primary routes to be ran 2 yards shy of the 1st down marker on 3rd downs. Having routes ran into the endzone while in the redzone would be another. Being aggressive more often and not just hoping to hit 1 or 2 big setup plays a game to make a difference. His situational play calling still leaves a lot to be desired yet..

Iowa's offense will never be great given KF's approach. We just need it to be competent. I disagree with those suggesting that it will not be because of BF and KF. Under KF, and even sporadically under BF, the offense has been competent. It has not been the last two seasons because of a very bad QB, young OL, and below average skill players. Everyone of those issues has been addressed in a big way.

This is a cliche but it is just fucking true: It's not about the Xs and the Os, its about the Jimmys and the Joes. Our Joes are much better this season across the board.
Agree. If say Iowa averages 4.8 yards per rush instead of 3 or whatever it was last yr the domino effect of that is astronomical. A lot of the running game issues was Oline execution. Plus teams knew Petras stunk and Iowa wasn't going to just air it out with him so they ganged up against the run. Sometimes it can be one thing but sometimes it's a combination of a lot of things.

Agree. If say Iowa averages 4.8 yards per rush instead of 3 or whatever it was last yr the domino effect of that is astronomical. A lot of the running game issues was Oline execution. Plus teams knew Petras stunk and Iowa wasn't going to just air it out with him so they ganged up against the run. Sometimes it can be one thing but sometimes it's a combination of a lot of things.
Exactly. There was a book on Petras not being all that accurate or quick to release. Defenses knew the OL was not very good and that there was little danger of giving up a big play behind you. Couple that with Iowa only needing to score like 17 points to win most games because of Parker's flithy D, and you have a recipe for painfully bad offense.

With Barta's retirement, KF's grip on power being a bit less these days, and with the contract stipulation, I think you will see BF being more aggressive calling plays. He knows he has a better QB and some great looking skill players to get involved. If they can get the OL right, this has the potential to be a productive offense to compliment what should be a dominant D and special Special teams.

Exactly. There was a book on Petras not being all that accurate or quick to release. Defenses knew the OL was not very good and that there was little danger of giving up a big play behind you. Couple that with Iowa only needing to score like 17 points to win most games because of Parker's flithy D, and you have a recipe for painfully bad offense.

With Barta's retirement, KF's grip on power being a bit less these days, and with the contract stipulation, I think you will see BF being more aggressive calling plays. He knows he has a better QB and some great looking skill players to get involved. If they can get the OL right, this has the potential to be a productive offense to compliment what should be a dominant D and special Special teams.
You combine a young poor executing Oline with a center that was a Dlineman the yr before learning on the job along with the worst multi season starting QB Iowa's ever had and a thin WR room due to injuries and all of a sudden you have the perfect storm for a historically bad O. Add in an offensive coordinator that isn't all that innovative and is very conservative and we were what we were.

I do think that this season will be different. I think if they can run the ball better and not be as predictable with their situational playcalling that BF and Cade can make some noticeable hay out there. The weapons are there. Can they gel early on and STAY HEALTHY? We'll see

I have posted this before, but I don't think Andy Reid could have done a whole lot with Iowa's personnel last season given all the deficiencies that have been noted. Scheme was the least of the problems. BF is no offensive genius, but he is not inflexible. When we had Lindy at center and Stanley at QB, the QB sneak was a potent part of the offensive game. BF somehow hung 55 on OSU using a three TE set. His bowl planning has not been atrocious. He was smart with a first time starting QB last season, and nearly hung 50 on an overrated USC team. Let's also remember that he has not been calling plays all that long and he has been saddled with a terrible QB the last three season. Like all coaches in the early to middle part of their career, he is still learning and developing.

My point is that BF is not as bad an OC as the mob would have you believe. If you are objective, there are absolutely great reasons to believe that Iowa will be mediocre successful on offensive this coming season.

That is not to say that BF did not deserve to be fired in a performance based industry where his performance was historically bad. He did. But, KF calls the shots and BF is still the OC, so I choose to be optimistic and I have reasons to be optimistic.

And sorry that the thread on Parker's awesomeness got hijacked into a thread on whether BF and the offense can be average this season. There is just so little to debate on Parker. He is just badass.

Iowa's offensive game plan last season (and yes, I'm being somewhat serious).

We have Phil effin' Parker and some friggin studs on defense. Don't eff it up and let them win it. Spencer, you suck so the best thing you can do is not turn it over (7 int), get what we can and let our all-American punter pin them deep and make the other team drive the ball the length of the field against our defense. Also, if we get it across midfield, we have a heckuva kicker to get us some points.

Iowa's offensive game plan last season (and yes, I'm being somewhat serious).

We have Phil effin' Parker and some friggin studs on defense. Don't eff it up and let them win it. Spencer, you suck so the best thing you can do is not turn it over (7 int), get what we can and let our all-American punter pin them deep and make the other team drive the ball the length of the field against our defense. Also, if we get it across midfield, we have a heckuva kicker to get us some points.
That sounds about right. What year was the big OSU game for the conference title against sweatervest coach? The two most conservative coaches on the planet having a "whose a bigger offensive coward" contest. Remember Iowa got the ball on like the 30 with over a minute to go and KF took a knee to go to OT? LOL. KF is KF. Hasn't changed.