College FB super league proposed

CP87

Sorry, paywalled, but you might want to get a trial membership for this one, pretty interesting:

In short, the current P5 schools (plus Notre Dame and recently admitted ACC school SMU) form a 70 team super-league broken up into 7 10-team division. There is an additional 10-team division made up of the remaining 60 or so FBS schools (top schools make the division, bottom schools from the division relegated each year and replaced by best schools from the rest).

Playoffs is the winners of the 8 divisions, plus 8 wild-cards determined by records and tie-breakers (no more committees). Players are paid a salary.

Lots of big wigs backing this idea. Seems too radical for me to see it happening, but radical times call for radical measures.

Sorry, paywalled, but you might want to get a trial membership for this one, pretty interesting:

In short, the current P5 schools (plus Notre Dame and recently admitted ACC school SMU) form a 70 team super-league broken up into 7 10-team division. There is an additional 10-team division made up of the remaining 60 or so FBS schools (top schools make the division, bottom schools from the division relegated each year and replaced by best schools from the rest).

Playoffs is the winners of the 8 divisions, plus 8 wild-cards determined by records and tie-breakers (no more committees). Players are paid a salary.

Lots of big wigs backing this idea. Seems too radical for me to see it happening, but radical times call for radical measures.
So instead of a power 5 conferences, they will be called power 8 divisions.

Honestly though, I couldn't give 2 shits what they do. Will there be CFB to watch on Saturdays? Will Iowa's game day experience still kick ass? If not then I'm opposed to it.

This isn't the death of anything. There's still going to be just as much football; they're just getting rid of conferences and realigning the structure. Who the hell cares? Unless you're 80 years old and can't stand the thought of Iowa not playing Minnesota or Northwestern (snoooooooooze) there's nothing lost with this.

This isn't the death of anything. There's still going to be just as much football; they're just getting rid of conferences and realigning the structure. Who the hell cares? Unless you're 80 years old and can't stand the thought of Iowa not playing Minnesota or Northwestern (snoooooooooze) there's nothing lost with this.

I am a little uncertain of @BigD 's "the end" comment, and your "Bullshit" comment.

Are you saying bullshit, this is never going to happen? Or bullshit, this would not fundamentally harm college FB?

I think this could spell the end of the NCAA as we know it, which would make us all very sad. Still think it is a long shot to actually happen.

I am a little uncertain of @BigD 's "the end" comment, and your "Bullshit" comment.

Are you saying bullshit, this is never going to happen? Or bullshit, this would not fundamentally harm college FB?

I think this could spell the end of the NCAA as we know it, which would make us all very sad. Still think it is a long shot to actually happen.
Bullshit in that it would not fundamentally harm college football.

The NCAA is a corrupt organization that serves no purpose for revenue-generating sports. It's mafioso bunch of gangsters who go to great lengths to try and make you think their first priority is athletes instead of money. It deserves to crumble and I relish knowing it will happen some day.

If the NCAA was so critical to fairness and regulation of amateurism...why can it not just go and regulate non-revenue sports (ya know...amateurs)? I'll tell you why.

It's because the NCAA has grown into a profiteering corporation that in its current state wouldn't survive without the billions of dollars generated by football and men's basketball, that's why. And that right there tells you that the NCAA isn't serving its original intended purpose (or any purpose, for that matter). So why have it?

College football and basketball are professional sports now. I'm sorry, that's the way it is. The NCAA wants you to think they're still amateur sports that come secondary to education, but that's total bullshit. Let the NCAA regulate golf and rowing and baseball and fencing. Ya know...so it can protect and support athletes where it's needed...in sports that aren't out there to generate money.

Bullshit in that it would not fundamentally harm college football.

The NCAA is a corrupt organization that serves no purpose for revenue-generating sports. It's mafioso bunch of gangsters who go to great lengths to try and make you think their first priority is athletes instead of money. It deserves to crumble and I relish knowing it will happen some day.

If the NCAA was so critical to fairness and regulation of amateurism...why can it not just go and regulate non-revenue sports (ya know...amateurs)? I'll tell you why.

It's because the NCAA has grown into a profiteering corporation that in its current state wouldn't survive without the billions of dollars generated by football and men's basketball, that's why. And that right there tells you that the NCAA isn't serving its original intended purpose (or any purpose, for that matter). So why have it?

College football and basketball are professional sports now. I'm sorry, that's the way it is. The NCAA wants you to think they're still amateur sports that come secondary to education, but that's total bullshit. Let the NCAA regulate golf and rowing and baseball and fencing. Ya know...so it can protect and support athletes where it's needed...in sports that aren't out there to generate money.

If football did take this step, I think it would be a short matter of time until major college BB followed suit. Why let NCAA keep skimming off the top?

edit: of course, someone needs to run things, and there is probably going to always be someone skimming off the top...but hopefully that group will be more competent than the NCAA.

edit: of course, someone needs to run things, and there is probably going to always be someone skimming off the top...but hopefully that group will be more competent than the NCAA.
I think contracts would fix 99% of the problem, which is kids transferring on a whim due to NIL.

Get the kids the big money they command, but add some stability as well. The issue with that is some of these kids start dealing with this stuff when they're 16 or 17 years old and are bleeding in shark infested water (scummy agents and parents).

Either way, the NCAA needs to go and good riddance to it.

Another aspect of the proposal...revenues are shared, but not equally. Schools like Alabama and Notre Dame (the article's examples) would get a bigger share. Not sure exactly how they would figure out the divying?

Save the sport??????????????

Isn't it about the biggest thing going on as far as fan interest and $$$$$.

You trying to tell me that USC, UCLA, OK, Tex went to all that trouble to join a Power 2 Conference only to undo it all and go back to a conference that still has Wash St and Ore St.

No way. This idea is DOA.

Another aspect of the proposal...revenues are shared, but not equally. Schools like Alabama and Notre Dame (the article's examples) would get a bigger share. Not sure exactly how they would figure out the divying?
[
You trying to tell me that USC, UCLA, OK, Tex went to all that trouble to join a Power 2 Conference only to undo it all and go back to a conference that still has Wash St and Ore St.

No way. This idea is DOA.

^ THIS ^

“THE END” of this foolishness.

Save the sport??????????????

Isn't it about the biggest thing going on as far as fan interest and $$$$$.

I mean, I'd be worried too....if I were college football that a women's college team outdrew every game last year, except one.

Then I'd remember it was only one basketball team doing that. And that I can basically pair up random D1 football teams, of which there are 80 pairs....
And with existing TV contracts, virtually each of those 80 pairs will draw 2-5 million viewers each between Thursday night and early Sunday morning.

And that every weekend...what....2 million? 3 million? people arrive in person, outside stadiums hours ahead of the games hours before they start. Decked out in branded team gear. With branded team bag chairs. And branded team popup tents. Eating branded cookies and cupcakes off tables covered by branded plastic tableclothes while throwing team branded footballs and tossing beanbags at branded cornhole decks. While others lay down tens of millions of dollars on bets. Or gather in bars to watch their product.

FFS.

I am worried about saving college football. But not because it's got too little money being generated. I'm worried about it because of people who think it's not generating enough money.

Latest posts