College FB is Changing: We need a mobile QB

ChosenChildren

Mobile QBs are changing college football. Minnesota's beat us today. Ohio State's Braxton Miller made an athletic play to beat Wisky. Iowa State has a freshman QB who beat Texas Tech with his legs. With a mobile QB you always have a chance.

Vandenberg is a good passer, but he has no mobility. He cannot challenge the flanks, so teams can tee off on him with the blitz.

We need a QB who can run. Period.

I will agree with you partly. College FB has changed and we are too stupid/stubborn/etc to change and update to today's game especially on defense.

I am not completely sure a mobile QB is the answer. Although, this is the first time in a long time that we have a QB that can't throw on the run.

No. No. If we keep running the ball, we kill the goofers. Passing and getting ****ed in the backfield killed us. I'm happy with our scheme but coaches need to scheme to the opponents weaknesses. We failed at that today.

Hogwash. You can win in the NFL without a mobile qb so it's possible to do it at this level as well.

What we need instead is more speed on defense to counter the mobile qbs on the other team. Don't see a lot of that on this team though.

I would take a Brad Banks type over JVB......that is for sure. That said, JVB sometimes looks all world at home. Runs like Mays at home, plays like **** on the road........

What do you call Coker rushing for over 250 yards? We just forgot about the run when we were inside Minn's 30 and with 2:30 left in the game.

No **** Sherlock. It was working fine and correct, in the red zone and crunch situations they forgot 34 existed. But in terms of a mobile QB, we were just fine. We had the resources just failed to use them.

It seems we are more concerned with producing NFL players than developing great college players. We play a style that translates very well to the pros but limits the success you can have in college.

Most teams see an athletic QB with some accuracy issues and think how they can use his athleticism as a QB and develop his accuracy. Iowa instantly thinks what other position they can put him at.

I dont really blame vandenberg he wasnt perfect... we need to have a more modern approach on offense for sure... not managing hte clock or trying to score more costs us games becasue we allow weaker teams to stay closer.

Oh, you mean a guy like Robert Gregory, who at one time sounded very interested in coming to Iowa, but our staff wasn't interested enough in him, so he committed elsewhere? Yet Kirk always says it's hard to find these types of qb's.

JVB isn't mobile? Hogwash. He's scrambled all season and ran for first downs and TDs when he's had, too. The problem isn't his feet. The problem is apparently between his ears.

He can't pick up blitzes well. Isn't this the 3rd straight week of blind side DB blitz that just about got himself killed.

The problem is that Iowa has a sit-back and react defensive philosophy -- even against spread offense formations and mobile QBs.

Who would you rather react to whom?

A. Sit-back and react Defense lineman and Linebackers to athletic QBs

.........or

B. athletic QBs to pressing, blitzing, non-vanilla, change-em-up defenses

I don't think it's the mobility of the quarterback. It's the fact that he's so easy to blindside and that there are too many times where there are people getting a free run on him. I'm a fan of what works, whether that's running the hurry up or running the ball down their throats. Today running was working, why completely shy away from that when you need yards?

All the mobile QB/Spread offense has done is level the playing field in College Football. Teams that shouldn't beat teams do so more frequently, plain and simple.

Why do we need a Denard Robinson? Andrew Luck is no Denard, but he is arguably the best QB in college football. The problem isn't that we don't have a scrambler type QB (a running back that can sort of throw)... it is that we can't stop the mobile QB's. Our D-Line and LBs look terribly slow. It is awful.

So you would think... We can't sack this QB by sending 4 and he is getting all day to throw and run around... What should we do? Blitz? NO WAY! Why would we change something even if it isn't working?!?! We are Iowa!

I mean, really now, at one point this strategy and gameplan was effective and worked for us, but now it doesn't. Things have changed. Football is changing. This isn't working anymore and while I have seen slight changes in play calling... The overall "super conservative" attitude/approach is still here and it is costing us games.

On a side note: Watching MN's sideline--Their entire team was fired up and into the game(including staff). Aside from Coker, we looked like zombies. They appeared to have wanted the game more than we did. I'm not ok with that. I can handle watching the Hawkeyes go out there and get beat when I know they gave it their best shot... but I CAN'T STAND watching them go out looking flat 90% of the time and as a result lose to absolutely pathetic/inferior teams year after year.

An example of how pathetic the gophers are this year--Some of their fans held up signs that said "Do you believe in miracles?" I mean really? They were considering it a f***in miracle to win... And they did. Smh.

Oh, you mean a guy like Robert Gregory, who at one time sounded very interested in coming to Iowa, but our staff wasn't interested enough in him, so he committed elsewhere? Yet Kirk always says it's hard to find these types of qb's.

Who?

We have a fine QB...Iowa needs an offensive coordinator and a head coach willing to adapt and turn them loose. Saying that, one of the best if not the best team Ferentz has had was run by a mobile QB. We had a mobile QB but we turned him into a linebacker.

In the coaches minds there is one way to run a team and ONLY one way to run the team. ANY change is bad.

For example, when Iowa's offense lines up with Coker 6 yards deep and everyone knows they are going to run the ball, does Iowa REALLY need to run into a brick wall of eight players like they have been doing for the past 11 years or so?

I would also like to see the team get fired and act like they want to win a game instead of standing around looking their head coach and offensive coordinator. You never see Iowa pumped up on the sideline...Does Ferentz prohibit that kind of behavior? Is it mandatory that the team act exactly like he does?

And when we lose, Ferentz has the same reaction, praises the opponents, and just makes excuses. At least Fitz says it is unacceptable how they are playing and says that things will change. I LIKE that kind of coach.

Did Ferentz and Norm Parker even know there was a game yesterday?

Iowa has proven you can win in this system without a running QB. You need one that is still mobile though. Vandy is kind of, but doesn't know how to use it.

Play calling is the issue on offense. I'm baffled at least a handful of times every game.

Mobile QBs are changing college football. Minnesota's beat us today. Ohio State's Braxton Miller made an athletic play to beat Wisky. Iowa State has a freshman QB who beat Texas Tech with his legs. With a mobile QB you always have a chance.

Vandenberg is a good passer, but he has no mobility. He cannot challenge the flanks, so teams can tee off on him with the blitz.

We need a QB who can run. Period.

<<Vandenberg is a good passer>>

Really? "jakers" off the knees of receivers who are a mere 5 yards downfield and 3rd-and8 or 3rd-and-9, "jaking" one five yards beyond a wide-open McNutt, and throwing into traffic that makes NYC look rural doesn't fit ANY definition of "good passer".

It's time for Iowans to be objective vs. the "home-grown hero" story. He tore it up in Keokuk. Rudock, Tate, Banks, Stanzi, et. al., tore it up in places where high school football is slightly better than it is in Keokuk.

McNutt is a 5th-year senior, so his bed is made. Coker, KMM and others have real choices. Our staff and fan base better be prepared to see another mini-exodus this off-season.

Latest posts