College career vs NFL combine/Pro Day

College career. An impressive workout just makes the scouts take a more serious look at the game tape, which is especially important for the small school guys.

Well, you need a good college career to get an invite to the combine... so I guess I would go with college career.

For draft status, probably the Combine. Workout warriors get overdrafted way more often than the college star who tests average (see: soon to be Cam Newton vs. Colt McCoy).

For draft status, probably the Combine. Workout warriors get overdrafted way more often than the college star who tests average (see: soon to be Cam Newton vs. Colt McCoy).
absolutely it's the combine. There are a ton of college guys every year that are stars in college that go late in the draft. NFL loves measurables....

COLLEGE CAREER. How many times during a season do you see a guy get down in a sprinters stance and run in a straight line? That means nothing if you can't run a good route and catch. How many times do you see a lineman bench 225 49x's? Yes, I know that these numbers tell you how fast and strong you are, but they don't mean anything about the kind of football player you are. Cam Newton is making jaws drop because of his athletisim. Not because of his leadership, personality and moral character. The combine is a small fraction of what I would be looking for. You can learn more about a player watching him in the 4th quarter when he's tired than on a Saturday afternoon in shorts and tee shirt.

Yes because Cam Newton did nothing on the field this year. Certainly nothing that could match McCoy's amazing senior year.

I would think that for NFL scouts, watching game film would be the most important.

Of course, I'm not a scout.

Yes because Cam Newton did nothing on the field this year. Certainly nothing that could match McCoy's amazing senior year.

Cam Newton's one year of being a freak athlete, or McCoy's outstanding 4-year career? Newton should not be a first round pick, but he will be because of the kind of athlete he is. Not that good of a QB.

Which is EXACTLY why he lit up the measurable tests, but looked average in the position drills.

Last edited:
Cam Newton's one year of being a freak athlete, or McCoy's outstanding 4-year career? Newton should not be a first round pick, but he will be because of the kind of athlete he is. Not that good of a QB.

Which is EXACTLY why he lit up the measurable tests, but looked average in the position drills.

Cam Newton's one year of almost single handedly winning a national championship and winning the heisman trophy or McCoy's four years of being a system QB who came up short each year?

Why should the fact that Cam's a much better athlete than McCoy hurt him? They're both system QBs. Cam's just better.

Last edited:
Cam Newton's one year of almost single handedly winning a national championship and winning the heisman trophy or McCoy's four years of being a system QB who came up short each year?

Why should the fact that Cam's a much better athlete than McCoy hurt him? They're both system QBs. Cam's just better.

A great athlete has a better chance of success at the college level than in the NFL. NFL teams don't want their QB's running around because of the injury potential. That takes a big part of Newton's game away.

McCoy was a much more fundamentally sound player than Newton is. Newton wows people with his athleticism, not his fundamental skill.

Vince Young almost single-handedly won the national title, and similarly wowed people with athleticism. He also didn't have the right mindset to succeed in the NFL (a lot like Newton seems to lack the same intangible). And if I were picking a quarterback for an NFL team, I'd take McCoy over Young, too. Picking for a college team, I'd take Young/Newton. But that kind of game doesn't translate well.

Latest posts