College Basketball changes

hawkeyewx

Plenty of people have mentioned it before, but the last couple minutes of many college basketball games has become intolerable. Timeout, timeout, foul, foul, foul, timeout, refs go to the monitor, foul, foul, timeout, refs go to the monitor, timeout, timeout. It has always been somewhat annoying, but it seems worse than ever. One easy change they need to make it take away one or two timeouts (they already get a bunch of tv timeouts anyway). Teams save them for the end of the game and then it's nothing but timeouts. Beyond the annoying constant delays in the game, there is seemingly an umlimited number of timeouts teams can call when they get trapped in the corner or can't get the ball inbounds... get trapped in the backcourt, call a timeout, then can't get the ball inbounds, call another timeout, get trapped again, call another timeout. Taking away a timeout or two would allow good defense to be rewarded.

I would also like to see the three point line moved back another foot. They moved it back a bit several years ago, but it's still too easy of a shot for grown men.

I tend to agree that between all the TV timeouts and seemingly endless number of team timeouts the game loses its flow. This is particulary annoying watching a game in person.

Taking away timeouts = no chance

Potential rule changes could be:

1. Get a technical foul = 2 shots similar to now and remove a TO
2. Instead of resetting the 10 second clock in the back court, if you call a TO at 8 seconds you now have 2 seconds to cross half court.

I would also like to see the three point line moved back another foot. They moved it back a bit several years ago, but it's still too easy of a shot for grown men.

So Iowa only has one player on the team who can hit 4 out of every 10 three pointers, but it's too easy of a shot?

The biggest change needed is the 35 second shot clock. Hell even the women have a 30 second shot clock. I'm not sure 24 seconds like the NBA is the answer, but teams wouldn't be fouling with 2 minutes left if there was only a 24 second shot clock compared to 35 seconds. 35 seconds is way way way way too long.

The problem isn't the game itself: it's not 3 point line, shot clock, or whatever. The problem is television.

The NCAA needs to control their product. Reduce TV timeouts to under 15, 10, and 5. Ideally, I'd go for under 14 and 7. Make them a minute longer. Somebody will pay the price point they're getting now.

If a player gets fouled, the player shoots his free throws, then his team gets the ball back after the free throws.

Or
Start the clock when the player gets the ball to shoot his last free throw. He has 10 seconds to shoot the free throw.

Reduce coaching TO's

Set shot clock to 30 seconds

Reduce the back court violation from 10 to 8 seconds (and no reset)

shot clock to 30 seconds
disqualification needs to be bumped up from 5 fouls to 6
Eliminate the one and done
push the 3 pt. line out to 23'9

All good ideas. After all the timeouts for TV and team timeouts during the first 36 minutes I think all team timeouts in the last 3 minutes should be 30 second timeouts. That can cut 3x30 seconds or 90 seconds in a close game and if the other team takes a couple timeouts you are saving another minute.

I really think 4 timeouts are enough but let the coaches carry all of them over to the second half.

I also think replay is a joke as so many obvious calls should be changed and they are not, why have it.

The game itself isn't the problem. Reviews for PC fouls are a problem. If they're going to review a foul (which takes far too long and how can you judge intent in super slo-mo?)

If they're going to do review then one of the following:

(a) each ref watches it once in real-time and issues his decision. One time. Done. They make one time look decisions all the time (unless they're looking at Fran instead of the game)

(b) it goes to tv timeout and they have two minutes to make a decision

(c) coaches requesting a review lose a TO, goes to TV and have it restored if it is flagrant. No more using reviews as timeouts.

But the #1 problem is the vehicle carrying the product to the consumer.

At least 1 less timeout. I've been thinking that a 3 point shot should only be worth 2 and a half, but moving the line out farther works too. I like the idea that if you get fouled, after shooting free throws, you get the ball back. You should only get 1 free throw though and the shot clock would have to be less.

If we're going to change things, make rules we already comply with...
1) At least half the roster must be in-state
2) Must keep at least one foot on the ground when shooting in the lane
3) No time outs if other team is on a run of 6 points or more
4) No 3 point shot counted unless it's a set shot
5) No fan under 70 closer than 15 rows from the court.

Coaches and tv are the problem. Cut timeouts in half. If a coach stands up he gets a T. Let the boys play a GAME

#5 made me laugh. Sad but true.

It's all about money fellas. Here and nationally. You will never see a reduction in timeouts. Too much advertising $$$$.

Coaches and tv are the problem. Cut timeouts in half. If a coach stands up he gets a T. Let the boys play a GAME

I would love that. Coaches spending the entire game working the refs has got to stop. It's ridiculous that they ever let it become such a huge part of the game. People get on Fran saying he can't get a T in that situation, but how is it his fault when all he is doing is the same thing him and most other coaches always do?

Nice...

Latest posts