Cole Fisher Commits to Iowa (confirmed by Rob Howe)

I wanted to comment as well that he is smart. His 28 ACT puts him in the 92nd percentile (according to wiki). That is almost as smart as me...

Smart kid, 3.8 GPA. Right ACL surgery in January.

Sounds like a classic Iowa LB recruit. 6"3' 190 lbs, intelligent, comes from a football family, and likely is very coachable. We'll probably redshirt him, bulk him up for a couple of years, and he'll be ready to go his redshirt sophomore year or so. Him and Orloff both seem to be the type of kids we have had success with.

Sounds like a classic Iowa LB recruit. 6"3' 190 lbs, intelligent, comes from a football family, and likely is very coachable. We'll probably redshirt him, bulk him up for a couple of years, and he'll be ready to go his redshirt sophomore year or so. Him and Orloff both seem to be the type of kids we have had success with.

agreed. prototypical Iowa LB recruit.

needs some weight put on him

That really won't be an issue. The LEO spot will be manned by Nielsen for the next two seasons. Thus, provided Nielsen remains healthy, the starting spot there won't be open until the 2012 season. Given Doyle's track record, I think that gives Cole more than enough time to physically develop to a point where he can legitimately compete for the starting LEO spot.

However, if Duzey feels that he might see the field earlier at LB ... competition between Poggi, Duzey, and Fisher for the starting LEO LB spot could get REALLY interesting!

I hope the trend of being able to recruit top notch players after an injury continues. A little knee injury won't scare us off, and we have a top notch medical facility to help take care and ensure it stays healthy when they get on campus. It has payed off in the past and I hope it continues to pay off in the future.

That really won't be an issue. The LEO spot will be manned by Nielsen for the next two seasons. Thus, provided Nielsen remains healthy, the starting spot there won't be open until the 2012 season. Given Doyle's track record, I think that gives Cole more than enough time to physically develop to a point where he can legitimately compete for the starting LEO spot.

However, if Duzey feels that he might see the field earlier at LB ... competition between Poggi, Duzey, and Fisher for the starting LEO LB spot could get REALLY interesting!

Is Morris definitely staying inside? I thought w/ his athletic ability he might get a look outside.

If my wife had triplet boys, they would be named Will, Leo, and Mike. The furniture would be screwed:)

Regarding the Morris question, in the early interviews togother it sounded like Poggi had a Mike mindset and Morris might have been a bit of a Leo.

If my wife had triplet boys, they would be named Will, Leo, and Mike. The furniture would be screwed:)

Regarding the Morris question, in the early interviews togother it sounded like Poggi had a Mike mindset and Morris might have been a bit of a Leo.

I thought Poggi and Gray were definitely mikes or wills, and Morris either a will or a leo. I always thought the leo spot needed the most athleticism, playing in space and needing to turn and run w/ TE's and WR's, as Edds was so adept at. And I thought Morris was the most athletically gifted of the trio, so he was looking at the leo spot. Anyhow, just discussing the future LB corps is exciting - I think it's going to be awhile before we see any drop off at those positions - not that we actually seem to have recently anyhow, as this has really become a plug and play position.

I thought Poggi and Gray were definitely mikes or wills, and Morris either a will or a leo. I always thought the leo spot needed the most athleticism, playing in space and needing to turn and run w/ TE's and WR's, as Edds was so adept at. And I thought Morris was the most athletically gifted of the trio, so he was looking at the leo spot. Anyhow, just discussing the future LB corps is exciting - I think it's going to be awhile before we see any drop off at those positions - not that we actually seem to have recently anyhow, as this has really become a plug and play position.

SeattleHawkeye -

I just see our depth at WILL and figure that we're going to need somebody who can step up there in a big hurry. Our top guys now who have experience at the WILL LB spot are Hunter, Tarp, and Johnson. Considering that each and every one of them is graduating after the 2010 season ... I'm inclined to believe that that will encourage the coaches to give Morris a strong look at the WILL spot.

While I agree that Morris would likely be able to do well at the LEO spot too ... the WILL spot still has to work a good bit in space, especially when playing against spread teams.

One of the unknowns that has be exceptionally intrigued about the LB race in 2011 concerns DiBona's development. He was one of my favorites from his recruiting class. A tough guy who played both ways. A guy who had the athleticism to do very well running the ball ... but who was also a tackling machine in high school. Most importantly, at least in high school (from what I've read), the kid had a great blue-collar work-ethic. You combine the work-ethic with the toughness and the talent ... and you get the makings of either one hell of a FB ... and the possibility of a pretty promising LB. Considering that he started off getting reps at LB and hasn't moved from it ... I'm intrigued to say the least.

Anyhow, the point that I'm kinda getting at is that I wouldn't be shocked if DiBona slipped his way on the depth chart and was able to be a legit competitor for the WILL spot in 2011. Heck, he could potentially compete for any one of the spots. I'm very intrigued about how he is in coverage.

Seattle -

A remark about the LEO spot - having great athleticism definitely helps at the LEO spot. However, it is also VERY important that the guy who mans the spot can also set the edge. The guy who mans the spot is very much like a hybrid DE ... and, consequently, he faces "big guys" trying to block his azz a bit more frequently than the ILBs. The ILBs usually have a bit more time to react ... and they also typically have the 4 D-linemen and the LEO up front funneling all the action back to them ... therefore they're able to run around more free to make plays.

That was part of why Edds set the new gold standard for the LEO spot. Not only could he set the edge ... but he was even more impressive in coverage. It's not easy to find guys who can do it. Furthermore, what makes the spot even harder is that it's a "role" position that often doesn't get the recognition that the ILBs get. Thus, if a LEO strays from disciplined play ... perhaps trying to make a low percentage play rather than setting the edge ... then it can undermine the D big-time.

If he is 6'3" and 190-200# now, I'll bet in 2-3 years he can put on at least 30# of muscle/mass and that will be fine. he's got the rest of his high school year, his redshirt year before he even sniffs the field.

Kind of reminds me of Humpal for some reason. I think he turned out okay for the Hawks

Latest posts