Coker

One thing I find interesting about ARob and ball security. As far as I can tell, he ALWAYS carries with his right arm, even when its the "wrong" arm. Smart move to find a method that works for him.

I've not gotten to see very many games on TV, but does A-Rob maybe run with the Tiki Barber carrying style? Obviously I mean after Tiki changed how he carried the football and eliminated his fumbling issues.

Edit: watched a few highlights. He does do a similar thing compared to Tiki. He keeps it in one arm all the time, and pins it on his chest before contact. Tiki I think had it pinned all the time, and would grab his wrist before contact. I did that my last two years of high school. You definitely don't fumble running like that.

Last edited:
Thank you Homer- while the love for Coker is well deserved, let's not forget that Rogers ran VERY strong as well. You could actually see him start running "lower" as he got more carries. Both of them will be/are very capable backups.

I like Brad a lot and I have since he committed. He cut once and just gobbled up the yards, and he showed quick feet, IMO. I think he can be a very good back for Iowa.

Marcus reminded me a little bit of Eddie George, another upright,long strider.
I liked what I saw of both Rogers and Coker. We shoud be ok at rb, if we stay healthy the rest of the way.

Coker looked a lot like Gerhart, the back from Standford last year. IMO.

I agree with everyone on this board, both Rogers and Coker look to be very capable backs who can "tote the rock" very well. Also agree that ball security is very important. One thing I haven't seen mentioned is the importance of picking up the blitz. This is another thing the ARob does very well and gets a lot of props for it. This is probably the biggest thing that the two new backups will have to get down in order to solidify their standing and get on the field more. I would expect Rogers to be ahead of Coker in this area because of his extra year in the system. It carries a premium in this offense and with this coaching staff.

Despite the rain and the competition, I really had a great time at the game yesterday. I thought both looked pretty good. Rogers did look a bit more polished, and I was impressed with his drive. Coker, we have to remember, was experiencing his first acutal "contact" according to Kirk since he's been in Iowa! I think Coker, with another year on the field and in the weight room, could be a monster.

I agree with the Eddie George comparison for Coker. George had a way of using his vision to not take the hard hits and always seemed to fall forward. Rogers reminds me of Jerome Bettis when he played FB at ND. Bowling ball that hit the line hard and just ran through people.

I agree with the Eddie George comparison for Coker. George had a way of using his vision to not take the hard hits and always seemed to fall forward. Rogers reminds me of Jerome Bettis when he played FB at ND. Bowling ball that hit the line hard and just ran through people.

Now wouldn't that be something to have Eddie George at RB and Jerome Bettis at FB? ;)

Latest posts