Coker is...

Coker is a downhill runner. The sooner the coaching staff learns to not run him sideways on stretch plays the better! He couldnt juke me and that is saying something.

ostrich^^^^

In a zone blocking scheme you need a RB with the ability to cut back especially when the defense is flowing one way. Fred Russell, Shonn Greene even the '09 guys(A-rob, Wegher, Hampton) all had that ability.......Coker simply doesn't. Traps, dives, FB leads is where Coker excels.

Coker is good at getting a few tough yards, but it doesn't look like he can just turn on the jets and blow by anybody. It just looks to me like a general lack of team speed on offense right now, except for McNutt.

Kennan and KMM say hi.

Coker is a downhill runner. The sooner the coaching staff learns to not run him sideways on stretch plays the better! He couldnt juke me and that is saying something.

You are assuming the staff is capable of making adjustments. We will see the same old same old unless Coker gets hurt. Once McCall went down, it was a MUST to get another back some reps....but we didn't.

A very good running back, who just needs to get his confidence back...and he will.
(is everybody forgetting last year?)

I wonder if those 2 fumbles in the TT game did not get to his head? In the Insight Bowl Coker was hitting the holes with no hesitation. Now it looks like he is afraid of hitting the hole. On a number of occasions he gets happy feet before taking off and by the time he does the hole is closed. Iowa needs to be able to run the ball effectively in order for this offense to succeed.

just enough to keep the defense honest.

At this point he needs to hold onto the ball and shoot for 80 to 100 yards a game. This should keep an extra defender in the box and allow our receivers more space to do their thing.

Bonus - He will eventually break one and get his confidence up which will lead to quicker decisions and increased field speed. At this point I just hope he stays healthy.

I think a lot of the problem with Coker is that no one was allowed to tackle him this preseason.. That really doesn't get you up to game speed.. I think once he settles in, the offense finds a rhythem, and opposing defences dont stack the box with 8 guys, I think we'll see a different Coker, and the haters will be silencio

Coker needs to cut and go. He is not a dancer type runner and not much of a threat when he does. Might even want to try Derby at QB as Vandy has really been off.

Sarcasm detected?? Vandy BT player of week. We talking the same guy??

Slower than Adam Robinson. Can't catch as well as ARob. Fumbles.

Nah, I'm not trying to stir anything up.

It's too bad. Iowa has recently gone through lots of RBs.

Last edited:
Rule #1: Never post during games. Often results in looking foolish. This is one of those times.

Coker will be fine. Pitt's coach said they targeted stopping Coker as their #1 mission...thankfully, Iowa has a passer also. Now, teams will start to respect both Coker and Vandy.

Slower than Adam Robinson. Can't catch as well as ARob. Fumbles.

he's not as quick as ARob, he's got better top end speed though. Do you ever remember ARob breaking off a run in which he wasn't caught from behind?

ARob did hold onto the ball, but Coker has been on the receiving end of some solid hits..

he's not as quick as ARob, he's got better top end speed though. Do you ever remember ARob breaking off a run in which he wasn't caught from behind?

ARob did hold onto the ball, but Coker has been on the receiving end of some solid hits..

Robinson also accelerated more quickly. Just had a little quick burst to get through the hole, then the rest was toughness and a little shake and bake.

I think if we lose this game the coaches have to take a serious look at running a package that puts Coker in at FB and one of the younger HB's behind him. It gets another playmaker on the field. Coker would be one of the most dangerous FB's in the Big 10.

I've been of this opinion also..I think it would solve a couple of issues in one fell swoop

Coker needs to watch gamefilm and figure it out...Figure out what he needs to do..Which is Run harder and faster without hesitation..

Coker has been dancing like Ladell Betts. He needs to learn to make one step/cut and go.

The coaching staff needs to man up and let Bullock or SOMEONE get a few carries to spot Coker and give the defense a change of pace.

Latest posts