Coin Toss Saturday…

Fryowa

Administrator
If we win it do we take the ball or the wind?

Gonna be howling outta the south.

I’m saying choose the wind. Our D should be able to prevent and if we don’t score we weren’t gonna win anyway. Take the north endzone, give ‘em the ball, and see if they can fight it in the 4th quarter.

Works for Bill Belichick.

I’m saying choose the wind. Our D should be able to prevent and if we don’t score we weren’t gonna win anyway. Take the north endzone, give ‘em the ball, and see if they can fight it in the 4th quarter.

Yep, if the defense can manage a 3 and out to force a punt into that wind could be the best offense Iowa has. Even if Iowa cannot move the ball on offense just kick a field goal. Hell we might see a 60 yard field goal in this one.

I like it!

We shouldn't take the ball this year when it is perfect out, let alone with shitty weather. This team should always put the D on the field first.

We want the wind in our face to start the game. That way they fight it in the 4th Q.

Oh I was thinking the other way around, make them start with the wind in their face. Could wind up with the ball and have excellent field position.

I can't wait to see someone try to punt the ball into that wind.

In the few times that Iowa has deferred and not taken the ball when winning the coin toss it's been on crappy weather days like what this'll be. I'd expect that to be how they do it again if they win it.

Make no mistake who wins the toss or not will have a huge impact on this game too.

If Purdue were to win the toss and deferred what would you do?
Doesn't really matter at that point, because the whole idea of choosing wind before the game (in my scenario) is to guarantee you have it at your back in the 4th Q.

I'd probably give them the ball and put the D out there hoping for a 3 and out.

If they choose to receive in the start of Q3, you obviously take the north endzone, but the state of the game at half would pretty much determine that.

Under normal circumstances, the coin toss is statistically a wash. There's a study online showing the winner of the coin toss wins 50.2 percent of NFL games and I'm sure NCAA is real close to that. But Iowa has two very not-normal circumstances tomorrow. 1) our defense is WAY lopsidedly better than our offense, and B) the wind is going to blowing like a motherfucker pretty much straight in line with the field.

Like @Hawkfnntn said above, the winner of the toss is going to have a big advantage come Q4. Or none at all if the game is out of hand by then. That's what makes it fun.

Under normal circumstances, the coin toss is statistically a wash. There's a study online showing the winner of the coin toss wins 50.2 percent of NFL games and I'm sure NCAA is real close to that. But Iowa has two very not-normal circumstances tomorrow. 1) our defense is WAY lopsidedly better than our offense, and B) the wind is going to blowing like a motherfucker pretty much straight in line with the field.

I've never been more interested in a coin toss thanks to your ass! Yeah, tomorrow isn't "normal" by any stretch of the imagination. That's IF the wind is gusting like it's supposed to be. Even if Iowa wins the toss I'm not so sure they just defer.

I want the wind at Iowa's back to start the game and the defense out on the field. If Iowa's going to have any shot in this game they desperately need the field position.

Doesn't really matter at that point, because the whole idea of choosing wind before the game (in my scenario) is to guarantee you have it at your back in the 4th Q. If we choose the wind to start the game, they get the choice in the 2nd half. If they take the wind (which they might), we get the ball first, but the wind in our face in the 4th. I do think that they'll take the ball when they have their choice.

I'd probably give them the ball and put the D out there hoping for a 3 and out. Absolutely

If they choose to receive in the start of Q3, you obviously take the north endzone, but the state of the game at half would pretty much determine that. I agree. The only issue is they get the ball and the wind, which means it's more likely that they get more possessions with the wind in the 2nd half. Not in our favor either way.

Like @Hawkfnntn said above, the winner of the toss is going to have a big advantage come Q4. Or none at all if the game is out of hand by then. That's what makes it fun. Absolutely. So many interesting things that go with the coin toss for this game.
Just a couple of thoughts.

I'm calling the shocker.
Nebraska and Rutgers scored 56 points against the Purdue defense.

The Iowa secondary is thirsty. The defensive front was so good last week the secondary didn't get to show off much. And they're gonna wanna show Jones up.

They'll all be hungry after last year's beatdown/letdown.

It has the ingredients.

Awww who am I kidding. It'll be heartbreak for us any which way. There will still be some beer leftover for Heaven.

In 2016, the wind was howling against Illinois. Iowa chose to kickoff to start both halves. Won 28-0.

Latest posts