Coaching Records of Iowa's Last 7 Coaches

I"m not sure it's a deterioration. I think as one gets older you want to cut out the fluff and what is really important becomes more important. I don't take the time to watch games as much anymore as it is less important to me now. I was naive about corruption and how the world really worked until I went overseas and in my career ran into it. Maybe it's being jaded. Maybe more realistic. Until I lost my replacement meniscus a year and a half ago I still played basketball with young guys. Now it just hurts too much and have moved to biking. It was fun being more quick or as quick as the youngins. No more though. Don't want to do that surgery again.

What I find interesting is that in the business world, output today is most important and what you did yesterday or can do in the future doesn't really matter. For some reason it hasn't hit Iowa sports.

I wouldn't hold your breath about KF retiring then. What's funny is that he's the guy that early on was reluctant to get the contract signed and allowed the idea of leaving to fester.

Those of us who cut our teeth on HF and Lute have a pretty high bar. Lute and KF are kind of alike on personality, yet Olson changed with time. Go back and watch KF's Maine teams on video. You'd swear it was the Hawks w/o the Black and Gold.

I frickin totally agree with your assessment! If your over seas experience is combat and your ass in the sand as mine for several years than I understand even more! The world is not what I thought when 18! And yes I don't need the fluff just does the damn thing work and provide results! To think I was accused of being a snowflake here yesterday was one of the best damn entertaining days I have had in awhile!

Well, as you know, there weren't any national championships, but Fry and Ferentz finished in the top ten of the national rankings at least 7 times, while the previous 4 coaches had zero such finishes. Fry was ranked #1 for 7 consecutive weeks in 1985, and Ferentz received Top 6 rankings for at least one week in 2002, 2009 and 2015.

Evy won a national championship in 1958 and came very close in 1960. The real tragedy is why the next 4 coaches couldn't build on his success. In contrast, Ferentz continued Fry's success and in at least one instance surpassed it (Fry never had an undefeated regular season and never won a major bowl game like the Orange Bowl).

I'll be crucified for this post in the sea of negative Nancy's that swim in these Hawkeye Nation waters, but I really don't care. Ferentz is a great coach and will coach at Iowa as long as he desires. I think we are darn lucky to have him and I'm excited about 2018 with a more favorable schedule..

He has done some great things at Iowa and if he would improve his game management skills, he could do even greater things. His decision to give Purdue the ball and the wind cost his team a win and a better bowl game this year. He has done that numerous times over the years and never seems to learn. Many other "in game" blunders too numerous to mention here.

Latest posts