Coaching Records of Iowa's Last 7 Coaches

Comparing overall records can be misleading regarding the status of the program.

Nagel's B10 record was .500 his last three years, but did not have a winning season - going 3-6 in his non-conf games. Nagel's non-conf opponents in those three years:
Notre Dame
USC
TCU
Oregon St (3)
Wash St
Arizona (2)

If Nagel had KF's non-conf cupcake schedule his record could very likely have been:

1968 7-3
1969 6-4
1970 6-3-1

And gone on to coach at Iowa for 20 years.

Yes, the non-conf schedule was tough back then. It was also a very big reason why I grew up an Iowa fan rather than an ISU fan. Iowa played big time tough non-conf opponents in the '50s-early '80s. They won many of those games and were all over the Sunday DSM Register Big Peach sports pages.

As I have said before I would much rather see Iowa today play those tough intersectional teams each year vs ISU.

Even Iowa under KF has played the Arizona teams, Pitt, Syracuse and a few other P5 programs and they provided some good game moments and memories.

Good points about Nagel's record and he did have some 'good' teams

He pushed "padding" expenses on recruiting visits, then threw those coaches under the bus. He basically "conspired" with a couple player fathers to get those kids to quit/transfer. He threw Nagel under the bus during/after the black boycott.

Read "75 Years With the Fighting Hawkeyes" by Lamb and McGrane and the follow up of "25 Years.." by Al Grady. Evy was forbidden to hold both positions, and when pressed, said he didn't want both positions. He then proceeded to undermine his hires (Burns and Nagel).

How good would Iowa football be if Alvarez had never gone to Wisconsin is a tough call. He didn't go to Wisconsin from Iowa, there was a stop at ND (and possibly an additional stop?) as an assistant. A better question is what would have happened if Stoops or Bill Snyder had become coach? Most "pundits" all but had Snyder as next coach, but he got "hot" at KSU and had no reason to leave.

Stoops, despite the clarion calls of being turned away and all, was one of three finalists, and there were definite questions about his being "the guy". One worry was that, if he failed to gain traction, would it ruin his relationship with Iowa at that stage of his career, and was Iowa willing to let that happen to another alum (a la Bob Commins...er Commings).
giphy.gif

As long as everyone is randomly musing; I would like to see more on why Evy sucked as an AD, was he bitter he wasn't coach and AD as I've heard from some, I've heard that he cut budgets and sucked the life out of Iowa football, out of bitterness. Ray Nagel was supposedly a decent coach, Evy ran him off. It would be great to learn more about what actually went on then, most of what I've read about that period is just fluff.

Also, how good would Iowa football be right now if Barry Alvarez had never gone to Wisconsin?
How good would Iowa be if he was the AD? Don't think Barry would settle for mediocrity for long.

How good would we be if we didn't schedule 3 automatic non conference wins every year? Actually had to play teams early in the year that could make us better down the road or
Lute Olson; 168-90 (.651)
George Raveling: 56-38. (.591)
Tom Davis: 269-140 (.658)
Steve Alford 152-106 (.589)
Todd Lickliter: 38-57 (.400)
Fran McCaffrey: 140-103 (.576)

It is interesting that Iowa hired a relatively inexperienced HC in KF and that he was 12-21 prior to Iowa.

Iowa is not Purdue, Illinois, MN, IU, or Rutgers. There is no comparison. Iowa is not going to fall flat with a new HC unless the route of Nebby is chosen. A good question should center around, "How much of KF's success is because he was allowed to be a long term coach at Iowa, which was a stable and solid program when he took over?

Illinois has never been able to get long term traction in part due to the fact that they really did have academic limitations beyond some Big programs back 20 years ago. Purdue is just caught between too many strong programs. IU is...well.... same with Rutgers. MN should be stronger but isn't. Wisky and Iowa probably hurt them. Iowa could be the place of another long term coach not Ferentz.

For certain posters: did not call for KF to be fired. They sky is not likely to fall when KF is gone unless a bad coach replaces him. Get a decent coach and similar results will likely happen. Get a really good coach and the trajectory could improve....when KF is gone.

Comparing records is tough, because no school today plays the type of non-conference schedules being set up back 40-50 years ago.

My guess is that it is the older fans who are the more supportive ones of Ferentz, they're the ones who recall the turnstile of coaches between 1961-1978 and the futility in those years, and then compare that to the relative success of Fry and Ferentz for the following 39 years, and believe (and witnessed) that things can be much worse, so are reluctant to get rid of the good, looking for the perfect. Yes, it could be better, but it could be worse - we've seen it, or so the belief goes.

Whereas, the younger fans, who have not experienced truly horrible Iowa teams over any extended period of time, tend to support and believe that a new coach is all that is needed to achieve even greater heights than what Ferentz has delivered. Why be so complacent with being just above average when it can be so much better, so the belief goes.

It's not an absolute, but my guess is the division of opinions on Kirk remaining as coach is age-influenced.

Comparing records is tough, because no school today plays the type of non-conference schedules being set up back 40-50 years ago.

My guess is that it is the older fans who are the more supportive ones of Ferentz, they're the ones who recall the turnstile of coaches between 1961-1978 and the futility in those years, and then compare that to the relative success of Fry and Ferentz for the following 39 years, and believe (and witnessed) that things can be much worse, so are reluctant to get rid of the good, looking for the perfect. Yes, it could be better, but it could be worse - we've seen it, or so the belief goes.

Whereas, the younger fans, who have not experienced truly horrible Iowa teams over any extended period of time, tend to support and believe that a new coach is all that is needed to achieve even greater heights than what Ferentz has delivered. Why be so complacent with being just above average when it can be so much better, so the belief goes.

It's not an absolute, but my guess is the division of opinions on Kirk remaining as coach is age-influenced.

I would think the opposite. The older fans are less supportive of Kirk. Depends on the definition of "old" I guess.

I also wonder how Zabel influenced opinions. On the radio he made every play exciting. We didn't have 24/7 Iowa watching back then. When Iowa beat Nebby and had Oklahoma and the "Great Billy Sims" on the ropes, Zabel's descriptions were priceless. He made the Nebby game seem like David and Goliath, only they fought with clubs.

Side note, I wonder what Sim's "kick" would be called today? Offensive targeting?

I would think the opposite. The older fans are less supportive of Kirk. Depends on the definition of "old" I guess.

I also wonder how Zabel influenced opinions. On the radio he made every play exciting. We didn't have 24/7 Iowa watching back then. When Iowa beat Nebby and had Oklahoma and the "Great Billy Sims" on the ropes, Zabel's descriptions were priceless. He made the Nebby game seem like David and Goliath, only they fought with clubs.

Side note, I wonder what Sim's "kick" would be called today? Offensive targeting?
I've heard it been said that there were two games, the one that was being played and the one that Zabel called. Older I think are those who lived through the bleak years. Again, it's not absolute, and it's just a theory, which generally is all that is required for evidence on an internet message board.

agree with this. You are correct; you had to sit through the 18 consecutive losing years (I did) to fully appreciate the horror. I truly never believed that Iowa would win again, and was completely shocked when Hayden started winning.

I guess you would call me older. 50 is in the windshield I was lucky enough to be in grade school and wittiness the Fry turn around and the Die hard hawk fan set in. For the majority of my life it had been two coaches. With KF its more of me wanting more with every year because lest face it I'll be 55 at the end of his tenure if he does retire at the end of this contract. I hate the complacent feeling and want to still act a young Hawkeye fan and mingle with the younger crowd relishing in it. I don't want to be closing 60 and dealing with growing pains of a new coach. Yes I'm a now guy and that enthusiasm believe it or not slowly deteriorates as time goes on. Its a fact of life and nature. It is the same with the Vikings with me. Will I get that chance to enjoy it soon mid life or is just going to be an oh ok moment they did it if it takes twenty more years. At twenty it didn't dawn on me, at thirty still to much time to worry, Forty well start enjoying it. Now....SOB!

Last edited:
I guess you would call me older. 50 is in the my windshield I was lucky enough to be in grade school and wittiness the Fry turn around and the Die hard hawk fan set in. For the majority of my life it had been two coaches. With KF its more of me wanting more with every year because lest face it I'll be 55 at the end of his tenure if he does retire at the end of this contract. I hate the complacent feeling and want to still act a young Hawkeye fan and mingle with the younger crowd relishing in it. I don't want to be closing 60 and dealing with growing pains of a new coach. Yes I'm a now guy and that enthusiasm believe it or not slowly deteriorates as time goes on. Its a fact of life and nature. It is the same with the Vikings with me. Will I get that chance to enjoy it soon mid life or is just going to be an oh ok moment they did it if it takes twenty more years. At twenty it didn't dawn on me, at thirty still to much time to worry, Forty well start enjoying it. Now....SOB!

You look older than that in your "photo"! You must have been held back a few years to be 50 and in grade school when Fry came?

Today the non conference schedules are not as hard as years gone by. But the conferences are much tougher top to bottom due to the money they all now get from TV contracts that allow them to pay good coaches, improve facilities and add other amenities.

agree with this. You are correct; you had to sit through the 18 consecutive losing years (I did) to fully appreciate the horror. I truly never believed that Iowa would win again, and was completely shocked when Hayden started winning.

I was stunned the first year Hayden took us to the Rosebowl. It was terrible before Hayden came along.

I guess at 56 I fall into that older group. Some try to compare Hayden vrs KF but I don’t even see it being close. Hayden restored a corpse to perfect health. As Hayden got older and had health issues recruiting did fall off. So the Iowa program had the flu when KF came in. He nursed it back to health but he never ever had to revive a corpse.

Also keep in mind that for over a decade Nebraska, Michigan, and Nortre Dame have been flat(or down) programs. While Hayden was here those were power house programs and that’s what he had to recruit against. Obviously Wisconsin has taken advantage of the situation.

The true spirit of competition dictates that the goal should be to be the best and work toward that. A Big Ten title and national title. We are now siting in a neutral position where that is now after 18 years under KF very unlikely to happen. We are competitive but never truly great. Some are happy with that. That’s your right to be that way. I just don’t agree.

So let’s think this through from a sporting world mentality. Your saying that 7-5 is acceptable to you because you don’t want to take the chance and slip down two more loses to be a 5-7 team year in year out. Does this embarrass you in the college world of football? So you put on your Iowa logo and puff your chest out in public and murmur under your breath we are third in our division on an annual basis? Wow!!! And we mock the Iowa State fans??? Imagine if you just raised your expectations to two more wins on the average. 7-5, 10-2, 11-1, 9-3, 8-4, 9-3, 9-3. 12-0. As you can see I am targeting 9-3 to 10-2 to be the avarage win/loss percentage. If that happened we would likely get to be the represent of our division and be playing in the BT championship game three out of four years.

Let’s go back and talk about that also. When Hayden was coaching you we competing against the entire conference. You had to finish in the top three to get into a bowl game with any respectability and pay out. There was no Big Ten Network back then to give your school 60 million a year. You survived on what was left of the bowl game revenue after expenses, donors, ticket sales, and small tv revenue. Not even close to the sixty million a year of the BTN we now receive.

Jumping back again to what Hayden had to deal with. He had to compete head to head with the whole conference. Kirk has mainly to deal with A down Nebraska, a better than average Wisconsin, Northwestern, Minnesota. Not even comparable with what Hayden had to do and with a lot less money.

Now we find that we struggled with the little sisters of the conference and can’t win our division against the weakest side of the West division. At a time when Notre Dame, Michigan, and Nebraska have been down opening up recruiting opportunities. That is a fact and that is reality and some of you are perfectly satisfied with it remaining that way.

Last edited:
Jerry Burns: 16 27 2
Ray Nagel 16 32 1
F. Lauterbur 4 28 1
Bob Cummings 18 37 0
Total Record 54-114-4 (total winning percentage: 31%) ZERO BOWLS ZERO CHAMPIONSHIPS

Hayden Fry 143 89 6 (.613)
K. Ferentz 142 97 0 (.594)

Total record Fry and Ferentz: 285 186 6 (TOTAL WINNING PERCENTAGE 60%) 29 BOWLS 4 ROSE BOWLS 2 ORANGE BOWLS 5 BIG TEN TITLES 1 WESTERN DIVISION TITLE)

Ignore Evy. Fits your narrative.

Yes I'm a now guy and that enthusiasm believe it or not slowly deteriorates as time goes on. Its a fact of life and nature.

I"m not sure it's a deterioration. I think as one gets older you want to cut out the fluff and what is really important becomes more important. I don't take the time to watch games as much anymore as it is less important to me now. I was naive about corruption and how the world really worked until I went overseas and in my career ran into it. Maybe it's being jaded. Maybe more realistic. Until I lost my replacement meniscus a year and a half ago I still played basketball with young guys. Now it just hurts too much and have moved to biking. It was fun being more quick or as quick as the youngins. No more though. Don't want to do that surgery again.

What I find interesting is that in the business world, output today is most important and what you did yesterday or can do in the future doesn't really matter. For some reason it hasn't hit Iowa sports.

I wouldn't hold your breath about KF retiring then. What's funny is that he's the guy that early on was reluctant to get the contract signed and allowed the idea of leaving to fester.

Those of us who cut our teeth on HF and Lute have a pretty high bar. Lute and KF are kind of alike on personality, yet Olson changed with time. Go back and watch KF's Maine teams on video. You'd swear it was the Hawks w/o the Black and Gold.

did the math...it's possible.
Its the damn trials and tribulations that make you look this way! 1979 3rd grade! Yes held back one year for near death child hood disease. Hitting 49 now so HG your math is damn close! By the way I have finally gotten your fifth movie so the collection is complete! Damn I love those and hope another is possible! Its a hell of a lot better than how I had to go through Star Wars and I don't like them. Just the original three

Latest posts