Coaching Prospects

HWK4LYF

Look, I know it is not going to happen at the end of this year, but in order to have something exciting to talk about, I wanted to hear what everyone thought in terms of potential coaching candidates if Coach Lickliter is unable to turn it around next year.

Here are some of the names that I had in mind:
1. Keno Davis
2. Steve Forbes
3. Matt Doherty

Go Hawks!

Look, I know it is not going to happen at the end of this year, but in order to have something exciting to talk about, I wanted to hear what everyone thought in terms of potential coaching candidates if Coach Lickliter is unable to turn it around next year.

Here are some of the names that I had in mind:
1. Keno Davis
2. Steve Forbes
3. Matt Doherty

Go Hawks!

Didn't you bring up Keno (who hasn't) already?
http://www.hawkeyenation.com/forum/basketball/4407-coach-keno.html

Keno isn't coming to Iowa.

Spank-
I know that you think Keno will not return to Iowa. I do not necessarily disagree with you, but I also think there is greater than a 0% chance, even if it is only 10%.

I also know you are on the "Let's give Lickliter another year" bandwagon, but assuming that it does not work out, who is on your short list?

Go Hawks!

Yes he is. Iowa ties go back to Mr. Davis, should have good contacts in the AAU game and should be able to put together a good staff. I know he has no HC experience but I think he would be welcomed back by the fan base.

Spank-
I know that you think Keno will not return to Iowa. I do not necessarily disagree with you, but I also think there is greater than a 0% chance, even if it is only 10%.

I also know you are on the "Let's give Lickliter another year" bandwagon, but assuming that it does not work out, who is on your short list?

Go Hawks!

My short list starts and ends with Bruce Pearl. But Keno has a better chance to come to Iowa than does Pearl. No way Bruce comes to Iowa - unless he just wants to get out of Pat Summit's shadow. Yeah, but that's not happening.

I would love to have a coach at Iowa that has Hawkeye connections and has been an assistant coach at a BCS level school.

My short list starts and ends with Bruce Pearl. But Keno has a better chance to come to Iowa than does Pearl. No way Bruce comes to Iowa - unless he just wants to get out of Pat Summit's shadow. Yeah, but that's not happening.

I would love to have a coach at Iowa that has Hawkeye connections and has been an assistant coach at a BCS level school.

If you are going to have someone on your "short list" that has no chance of coming to Iowa, why not put Coach K, Calipari, or Self on your list?

Don't get the understated guideline that any replacement must have Iowa ties. Just get a guy who can win games. I could care less if he is from Maine or California.

I wouldn't want Gary Close. I like that he has Iowa connections. But unless he can bring in some big time recruiters for assistants, I don't know how he would fit. One could argue he's not even the top assistant for Wisky. Gard is getting a lot of pub for his own gig.
All I know is that I want Barta to have plenty of help this time. He had his chance at "his" hire and failed big time. Get Lute, the Dr., Ronnie, and anyone else who has had impact on the Iowa program over the years and have them pick the next coach.

I would hope they would stay away from the mid major prospects and look at some assistants from big time programs. This is what I was screaming for when Barta started his search. There are plenty of good candidates out there. Stop letting Sweet 16 berths where the playing field isn't really always even influence your hires.

Steve Maisello, Louisville recruiter and top 25 assistant to Pitino.
IMG_6183-748802.JPG

So you are pretty much saying that Bruce Pearl is the best college basketball coach and you would take him over any other coach?

It's possible for the best coach to not be the best fit for your program. Iowa football has seen that already. I think most people would have been much more excited about Bob Stoops taking the reins here in '99. But Ferentz was the better fit. Stoops is a better fit at the big-time, high profile programs such as OU, Florida, Notre Dame, etc.

I wouldn't want Gary Close. I like that he has Iowa connections. But unless he can bring in some big time recruiters for assistants, I don't know how he would fit. One could argue he's not even the top assistant for Wisky. Gard is getting a lot of pub for his own gig.
All I know is that I want Barta to have plenty of help this time. He had his chance at "his" hire and failed big time. Get Lute, the Dr., Ronnie, and anyone else who has had impact on the Iowa program over the years and have them pick the next coach.

I would hope they would stay away from the mid major prospects and look at some assistants from big time programs. This is what I was screaming for when Barta started his search. There are plenty of good candidates out there. Stop letting Sweet 16 berths where the playing field isn't really always even influence your hires.
Considering that Close is the associate HC for Wisconsin he would have pretty good experience. He has been in the game for a long time and would have no problems coaching. He WOULD have to surround himself with great recruiters and maybe a former HC to be his right hand man. I likethe idea myself if Close would bring back a exciting brand of basketball and the fan base would welcome a guy that has ties to Iowa.

Latest posts