Coaching or Talent?

2013-14: First Four
2014-15: NCAA 2nd Round
2015-16: NCAA 2nd Round
2016-17: NIT
2017-18: 19 losses
2018-19: 1-3 start in conference (Jury still out with 16 games left, obviously, but it doesn't look promising)

If the last few seasons are not a downward trend, then I don't know what is.

It was an upward trend for a while, but it's swung back the other direction in more recent times. Not sure how that's even remotely debatable.
Nice try. Conference finish is the appropriate stat. Strength of conference will impact wins and losses...not just for Iowa but for all 14 conference teams. So my comment is related to Big 10 finish.

Also, the comparison between Lickliter and Fran is nonsense. Lickliter finished in the bottom 4 all 3 seasons at Iowa. Fran has finished in the top half of the conference 5 of his 8 seasons. Lickliter isn't even in the conversation with Fran.

Final Thought - Those 11 straight road conference games... We're talking last year which we all agree was a dumpster fire and 2 games this year against arguably the 2 toughest road venues historically for Iowa. So really that 11 straight is last year plus 2 expected rough outings this year IMO. If we fall behind NW by 17 and lose then I will back off on this point.

Nice try. Conference finish is the appropriate stat. Strength of conference will impact wins and losses...not just for Iowa but for all 14 conference teams. So my comment is related to Big 10 finish.

Also, the comparison between Lickliter and Fran is nonsense. Lickliter finished in the bottom 4 all 3 seasons at Iowa. Fran has finished in the top half of the conference 5 of his 8 seasons. Lickliter isn't even in the conversation with Fran.

Final Thought - Those 11 straight road conference games... We're talking last year which we all agree was a dumpster fire and 2 games this year against arguably the 2 toughest road venues historically for Iowa. So really that 11 straight is last year plus 2 expected rough outings this year IMO. If we fall behind NW by 17 and lose then I will back off on this point.

So you're saying things haven't taken a downturn since 3 years ago?

WOW.

Agree to disagree.

The final result of the season, ranking, post-season Tournament appearance or lack thereof, etc. is the appropriate stat. You can cherry pick the conference standings if you want.. But it's the full season that counts. Alford's last year, Iowa finished 4th and they didn't even make the NIT. Conference standings didn't mean much that year..

For the record, Alford and Fran is a more appropriate comparison. Fran > Lick. But last year? Yeah, that was Lickliter bad. Those two road games this year, regardless of the opponent, still is Lickliter bad. Hope it improves.

Last edited:
I don't have a problem with anyone supporting Fran. I like him as well. I think his assistant coaches are poor and his defensive teachings are lacking.

Latest posts