Regarding Coach Lick's Future

• I want him to stay/fully support him

Votes: 19 12.6%
  • I want him out of here ASAP

Votes: 71 47.0%
  • I think he needs another year before I can decide

Votes: 61 40.4%

• Total voters
You Guys are so dumb it is not his fault at all we probly have the youngest team in college basket and they are all really good kids. I think he is a really good coach and i say you keep him because next is where we will be up in the big ten. You just wait people.

Two things -

Just a thought, but if you want to call people "dumb" perhaps you could write a coherent sentence with appropriate usage, spelling and punctuation. Do you see those red squiggly lines under the words? That means the underlined item is likely mis-spelled. Unfortunately, this interface isn't sophisticated enough to help you with usage and punctuation - that's what you were supposed to learn in elementary school (I know we have some young posters, but I didn't think that young).

Second - I don't think ANYONE will dispute that we have some good young men. However, our beloved Hawkeyes young because our sophomores and juniors transfer. We've already lost Tucker. That may not be Coach's fault, but you live and die with the people you hire/recruit. In addition, there is a lot of smoke around Brommer transferring. If that happens we'll hear the whining about a young team again next year (7 of 11 scholarship players underclassmen - unless we recruit a JC and they would be new to "the system"). YES! We're young! Players transferring as they become upperclassmen make that a self-fulfilling prophesy.

You think Lickliter is a good coach. Good for you. He was coach of the year and had some success at Butler. You have some points to your argument. However, those that don't agree with you have some points too: worst season in Iowa basketball history; 3 straight losing seasons; and RPI in the bottom 50% of all division 1 schools; player transfers each year; and other reasons I'm sure are floating around out there. You may not agree with them, or me - that's fine. However, simply to call posters "dumb" because they don't agree with you is ... um, (nope... not going to go there).

IMO Lick is in over his head running a program at this level. Having said this I think patience and persistence is warranted in our situation. We are already at the low water mark and Lick is getting some OJT(on the job training). Continuity in the long run wins as pointed out by Deace and I agree. Letting him go is simply flushing money down the toilet with no guarantee of something better.

After carefully considering all elements that make for a good b-ball program,,, not just the coach,,, I think the Iowa job/program may have more flaws going forward than the fan base acknowledges. The 'change the coach' seems to be the panacea of good fortune but everyone who seeks this immediate change fails to answer what if the next coach is a total failure ? If the next coach fails also we are looking at another 10 years of cellar dwelling.

Obstacles for long-term success in basketball
- Not enough highly-athletic/skilled players in Iowa (the few typically sign out of state)
- Diluted talent base across the nation (football is king)
- Stiffer competition for players nation-wide (common for players to not 'stay' near home)
- Lack of big time money
- Poor facilities (only program in the BigTen w/o a true practice facility)
- Students are not seated around the court (not engaged in the program)
- Not all in the academia side embrace athletics (jealousy over salaries)
- Academic requirements at Iowa and the Big Ten are stiff
- Lack of culture for minorities
- Expectation that all players will be model citizens
- Media thrive of negative reporting to sell papers (can't wait for the next screw-up)
- 3 other D-I b-ball programs in state
- Economy is way down (disposable income for the avg fan is not there)

My point is not to say that a new coach cannot be successful but THE NEXT COACH BETTER NOT FAIL given the current challenges or this program will be set back another 10 to 20 years and Iowa will be labeled nationally as a 'place where coaches go to die'.

Option C. Not happy with hanging out near the bottom of the Big Ten. However, the cupboard was bare and I think with the players here and on the way, Iowa should be competitive and remain competitive in the next 1-2 years. In other words, I think it would premature to get rid of Lick. Everyone knew it would be a rebuilding process when he came in. However, if we don't see results in the "W" column soon, we'll have to move on.

Ok, so we will be better with new recruits and our role players, but how good could we be with a new guy who runs an uptempo offense and has just a little bit of fire? Im sorry, but I started out this season totally in support of coach, and I knew it would be tough this year with his players leaving but come on, you see one game where they are firing on all five, and it looks like they are starting to get it, and then the next game they look like they have never played basketball ever before, to me that is coaching. I know most of you hate SA but my brother worked with him at Missouri State and I was around him whenever I could get down there to visit, and I like the man, I like the way he coaches as far as getting on his players, trying to make them better and has some fire. But the point is Lick does not have any of that from what I have seen, just sort of, whatever happens happens.

The same guys who voted B are the same ones who wanted Alford gone and before that wanted Tom Davis replaced by 'someone who can come in here and blah, blah, blah).

Stability will turn this thing around in due time. Take a look at the Iowa FB program, now one of the Top 10 in America. :D

Can you explain to me how an overall record of 37-55 and a big 10 record of 14-37 with 10 players leaving over a 3 year period requires anyone to need one more year to make an informed decision? Maybe Carver sitting at 35% capacity for the year is not enough? Should we get it down to 2,000 fans a game before we really call for a change? Face it, Todd Lickliter has ruined Iowa basketball in a very quick period and the sooner this guy leaves Iowa City the better.

Some of you guys have zero expecatations apparently.

I disagree that Lick has ruined Iowa basketball in a very quick period... I think it has died a slow death since around 1990. Lick happens to be the one holding the bag of crap. Evidently you were not around in the 80s?

PS: I picked option C

So, 53% either wanted to give Lick another year or keep him indefinitely.

2-12-2018_5-53-39_PM.jpg

I disagree that Lick has ruined Iowa basketball in a very quick period... I think it has died a slow death since around 1990. Lick happens to be the one holding the bag of crap. Evidently you were not around in the 80s?

PS: I picked option C
Wow. This^^^^. Iowa basketball has been circling the toilet since Raveling's recruits left.

Latest posts