Coach Jordan hired by Beilein at Michigan

Hawkins does not hold back any punches and I can not say that I blame him one bit. I am glad that LaVall landed on his feet, too.

Man, nothing comes easy for Michigan. They can't even hire an assistant coach without controversy.

My question is this - why are you allowing Jordan to come on campus, meet w players, get his name up, etc... as if he was employed if he hadn't yet signed a contract? That's all on W Mich.

This doesn't sound like a very smart move for Jordan...unless you're trying to get fired two years in a row.

You are exactly right Spank...Sounds like W. Mich put the cart before the horse here.

Really feel from what I have read that Western Michigan didn't think the hiring process was any different that previous assistant coaches. They felt they had a commitment from Jordan, maybe a guys word isn't as much as it used to be. Wouldn't it be ironic if Michigan ended up not doing well this next season and the coaches get fired. Might be a record for one coach to get fired two years in a row.

I was going to post the same about KF as the poster above did. He worked for months with the university before officially signing the contract. However, we know how much class KF operates with and if he had a handshake agreement with a letter of understanding, most know he will honor his word. LaVall is taking a big gamble here, not only did he perhaps not act in the most ethical manner, but he is joining a staff that could be shown the door very soon if there isn't considerable improvement. He is from Michigan and I think this could ultimately hurt his reputation. Oh well, good luck to him.

My question is this - why are you allowing Jordan to come on campus, meet w players, get his name up, etc... as if he was employed if he hadn't yet signed a contract? That's all on W Mich.

Spanky, to the best of my knowledge Fran McCaffery hasn't signed a contract to this day. Kirk Ferentz worked at Iowa for a long period without a signed contract. It's not at all uncommon for coaches to start work before the contract has been signed. An oral contract can be binding if the parties have agreed on all the material terms. In the case of an assistant coach (unlike head coaches) there usually isn't a lot of negotiation of collateral terms, and signing the contract may well have been a mere formality.

I was happy to hear Jordan got a job but I think what he did to WMU was sleazy. I think Belein and the WMU coach acted a little sleazy as well.

I'd like to hear LaVal's next speech to a recruit about the importance of honoring a commitment.

Spanky, to the best of my knowledge Fran McCaffery hasn't signed a contract to this day. Kirk Ferentz worked at Iowa for a long period without a signed contract. It's not at all uncommon for coaches to start work before the contract has been signed. An oral contract can be binding if the parties have agreed on all the material terms. In the case of an assistant coach (unlike head coaches) there usually isn't a lot of negotiation of collateral terms, and signing the contract may well have been a mere formality.

I was happy to hear Jordan got a job but I think what he did to WMU was sleazy. I think Belein and the WMU coach acted a little sleazy as well.

I'd like to hear LaVal's next speech to a recruit about the importance of honoring a commitment.

As usual, good points FB.

I don't claim to understand much when it comes to legalese, contracts, etc... in college sports.

Spanky, to the best of my knowledge Fran McCaffery hasn't signed a contract to this day.

if Fran hasn't signed yet then isn't he allowed to talk to anyone he wants like ISU's unsigned assistant?

*thinks about the conversation on Matt & Miller*

Latest posts