Cmac

Like or dis-like Conner it really doesn't matter. He is the starter until next year. Get behind him and support. I really feel Conner and Joe T are gonna be logging a lot of time together. Both bring something to the table and it will take both of them to make up for the loss of JBo. Conner will do whatever it takes to win and Joe T is a star in the making. The better these guys do the more excited I am for Iowa basketball next year, maybe even this year.
Let’s be honest, the chance of anyone unseating him as a starter as a JR and SR is highly unlikely

Just imagine if Joe T had a jumper ? His mechanics are so bad I have a hard time believing he ever will develop one .

It's not just his jumper. He has trouble finishing at the rim. He looks like a 5 star getting to the rim but looks like a 2 star once he gets there. There was a play the other night where he got to the rim so fast that it ended up a wide open layup. It looked like he wasn't even going to get to the rim a second earlier, let alone be wide open by the time he got there. I seriously can't remember the last guy we had that could do a blow by that fast. Then he shot the layup and almost missed the backboard. It was maybe the worst missed layup I've ever seen. That play has me a bit nervous that he has a really low scoring ceiling.

It's not just his jumper. He has trouble finishing at the rim. He looks like a 5 star getting to the rim but looks like a 2 star once he gets there. There was a play the other night where he got to the rim so fast that it ended up a wide open layup. It looked like he wasn't even going to get to the rim a second earlier, let alone be wide open by the time he got there. I seriously can't remember the last guy we had that could do a blow by that fast. Then he shot the layup and almost missed the backboard. It was maybe the worst missed layup I've ever seen. That play has me a bit nervous that he has a really low scoring ceiling.

I think BJ Armstrong kind of had a slow start as well but really kicked ass his junior & senior season. Toussaint is still young. I think people need to be a little patient with him. In addition, he comes from New York and used to playing a bit of street ball. Jamaal Tinsley was the same way but developed into a great PG and enjoyed some of the street ball he brought. There is a disadvantage with some of these New York players/guards when teaching them to play team ball. They bring an exciting game but there is work to scale them back a bit. Some college coaches don't like to recruit some of these ballers sec to the learning curve.

Connor and Luka are definitely showing vast improvement from last year. To a lesser degree, Riley Till seems to have improved also.

I predict he will be a double figure scorer the next 3 years. He’s currently shooting 75% from the line. And that’s not on a small 6 for 8 type sample size. Only Garza has attempted more FTs than JT. And I think his FT stroke looks fine. No reason for me to think he can’t eventually have an adequate perimeter shot. And I have zero concern about him learning how to finish at the rim.

I predict he will be a double figure scorer the next 3 years. He’s currently shooting 75% from the line. And that’s not on a small 6 for 8 type sample size. Only Garza has attempted more FTs than JT. And I think his FT stroke looks fine. No reason for me to think he can’t eventually have an adequate perimeter shot. And I have zero concern about him learning how to finish at the rim.
I actually think he's finished at the rim rather well this season other than the 2-3 times he tried in the most recent game.

Several pleasant surprises so far. I hope they can keep it going.

One thing I find nuts is our 3 point shooting.

CJ 51%
Wieskamp 41%
Garza 42%

Gotta assume CJ and Garza's 3 point numbers will fall back to earth a bit before the season is over, but 51% after 10 games and shooting 3.5 per game is amazing. If Bohannon sits CJ is going to have to shoot even more, which seems like a really good thing.

One thing I find nuts is our 3 point shooting.

CJ 51%
Wieskamp 41%
Garza 42%

Gotta assume CJ and Garza's 3 point numbers will fall back to earth a bit before the season is over, but 51% after 10 games and shooting 3.5 per game is amazing. If Bohannon sits CJ is going to have to shoot even more, which seems like a really good thing.

I think it's not a bad thing, but is also part of the reason it might fall back to earth. When a guy is allowed to sit back and only take the most perfect of shots from deep, their percentages are higher. When Fredrick is asked to fill Bohannon's volume, he'll have to start taking shots he's not 100% comfortable with but fit the moment. If he starts making those too, he won't play 4 years in this program.

What's crazy about Wieskamp's number is he was shooting with a bum elbow for awhile and couldn't seem to make anything.

We have finally got the kind of team we’ve been clamoring for. Shooters from deep, dominate in the post, a guard that can penetrate the lane, higher assist to turnover ratio, rebounding, chemistry, and toughness.

Latest posts