Clone hate is brutal

About 5 years ago I conjured up an account on Cry-Fan.

I was perm-banned after THREE posts. NONE of which were rude.
Just the fact I was an Iowa fan voicing an opinion got me optioned-out.

Bastards.

I don't understand why they don't like Purdy. He has always looked like poop against Iowa, but my understanding is he's actually a pretty damned good QB.

Edit: yeah, I just checked his stats - he's a good player, I'd take him in a heartbeat if they no longer require his services. Had a lousy game this last weekend, but he played decent against the Hawks in the past, so that's not even it. He's an effective runner, too. Cyclone Nation is getting snobby any more, sheesh!

Last edited:
This. They are in a conference now with no TV network, no marquee matchups w/o UT and OU, too much travel distance for visiting fans (Provo, Utah? LOL), and a bunch of little 40,000 seat stadiums.

UT and OU hurts bad, but like I said before, their fate was sealed when they lost A&M, Nebraska, Colorado and Mizzou. If you have those 4 and you lose UT and OU, I would still credibly rate that as a P5 conference. Say Nebraska stayed and was winning 9 or 10 a year and consistently ranked between 15 and 25. Say A&M is ranked top 10 like they are now. You can still credibly pitch that. Nebraska would still be a draw. You'd have the Mizzou-KU. Mizzou-Nebraska. A&M versus Nebraska. Colorado-Nebraska on Black Friday. There would still be a geographic semblance of a conference with Texas and the plains and the Rockies. The drop between those 4 programs they lost and the 4 they added is so huge.

I'm still in favor of dropping it, though.

Dropping it after 6 in a row would be pretty hilarious. And it's a perfect time to drop it. ISU's conference is going to be fading into obscurity and it would be a great "official" excuse. We can act like we're above playing their team every year. Which I suppose we are for right now.

I have wanted the hawks to drop ISU for awhile and get new P5 opponents for home and home matchups. This new Big 10-ACC-Pac12 alliance could easily set up these types of games.

If the Big 10 goes to 10 games then that will take care of the whole situation.

I went through their game thread on Saturday night and it was a let down. They did bash their team, but their assessment was very accurate. They were mad at Campbell for trying to out-Ferentz Ferentz. They were very complimentary of our defense and kept talking about how they were getting out-coached. Also talked about how the biggest difference between the two teams is that we're so much more disciplined than them. They ripped on Purdy pretty good and loved the benching but still think he's the guy going forward. I was disappointed in the lack of delusion.

Of course there were some crazy people but what was there even to get mad about? I basically was scrolling through stuff on my phone and looking up periodically about halfway through the 3rd quarter. If a team turns the ball over 4 times and gets none in return you're going to lose. That's just football.

I'm still in favor of dropping it, though.

Dropping it after 6 in a row would be pretty hilarious. And it's a perfect time to drop it. ISU's conference is going to be fading into obscurity and it would be a great "official" excuse. We can act like we're above playing their team every year. Which I suppose we are for right now.

I've been on the record for literally years, well before this 6 year streak that ISU needs to get out of this game. Not because it's not a good game, or because they can't win (although it sure appears to be the case under Campbell). It's because when they do lose, the fanbase goes into a funk.

I've said it a million times but every Big 12 program that has elevated itself from the bottom to the top has done it while playing an absolutely trash noncon. KSU when Snyder came back played 2 FCS teams in the same year.

I also think the fanbase has grown enough we don't need the game anymore. The team generates it's own excitement and ultimately if we played Akron or something on Saturday and were 2-0 and still in the top 10 that's a much better situation for ISU than being 1-1 when a woe as me fanbase. I hate it.

I don't understand why they don't like Purdy. He has always looked like poop against Iowa, but my understanding is he's actually a pretty damned good QB.

Edit: yeah, I just checked his stats - he's a good player, I'd take him in a heartbeat if they no longer require his services. Had a lousy game this last weekend, but he played decent against the Hawks in the past, so that's not even it. He's an effective runner, too. Cyclone Nation is getting snobby any more, sheesh!
Ask yourself sometime why every year or two Iowa State benches their Heisman candidate and starts a second or third stringer who plays lights out and is the future… only to get benched and transfer or get moved to defense. I posit that if Purdy played at Purdue or Indiana his stats wouldn’t be nearly as good. See 90% of the games he’s played against nonconference opponents. It’s sort of like if you look at any starting FBS QB, their High school stats were great. And yet only 10% of them are anything special. The same goes for the NFL. These are different levels of competition.

Keep in mind that other than Oklahoma, Big 8 defenses are Ultra Charmin soft compared to the B1G.

Biggest thing I noticed was the constant whining about the refs. There was plenty of uncalled holds against ISU too. Then there's the always delusion phrases like "ackshually if you take away all their scoring drives than we would have won the game!"
Iowa State's OL held on almost every play, due to the speed of our DL and LBs. Just watch the replay. Very few were called.

When I skimmed through the Cyclone message boards it seemed Tom Manning(ISU OC) was receiving a lot of heat. As an outsider looking in...some of it did look fair.

I just noticed something, Iowa is on a 6 game winning streak over the Clones and 4 of them were in Jack Trice. Iowa is 21-8 all time in Ames and have won the last 5, haven't lost to the Clones in Ames since 2011.

That's probably a good source of their hate, Iowa keeps kicking their ass in their own home stadium.

I’m amazed at how many posters over at CryFan are now saying they want the game dropped, when just a couple days ago they were making fun of those of us who think Iowa should get rid of it.

I think we’ve found the attrition threshold of their fans. 7 years.

7 glorious years.
Cytwins is saying Pollard wanted to drop the series a few years ago but Barta wouldn’t let him.