Classic Hawkeye Games on DVD, etc.?

1977Hawkeye

Many years ago (back in the 1990s) I was able to get my hands on a few classic Hawkeye hoops games on VHS through a contact in the basketball program.. For a fee of course.

Does anyone know if something like this is still available through the university, etc.? If not, has anyone found a way to get some old games?

This day and age, it would need to be on DVD, or at least digital copies. :)

That is a great idea. Would love to watch some Andre Woolridge Hawks or some BJ Armstrong Hawks. That would be awesome.

Million dollar idea. Don't get sued by the U.:rolleyes:

I have loads of old football games on VHS that I'm currently converting to DVD. Pretty much every televised football game from the 80's and early 90's. Quality is poor on some but still fun to watch. Especially the old local commercials from the era. Anyway, I have a buddy that works at the Alumni Association and he doesn't think games are available for purchase but said he would look into it further.

If Iowa ever made these available for purchase, I think they'd make money hand over fist. There are entire seasons of football and basketball that I'd be willing to shell out good money to own.

Problem is, the "rights" to these games likely belong to the network that broadcast it

Still....this is a great idea that I'm surprised no enterprising person at the University (if such a person exists) or at CBS, ESPN, etc. hasn't thought of. These would literally cost peanuts to put together, and fans would snap them up.

I have loads of old football games on VHS that I'm currently converting to DVD. Pretty much every televised football game from the 80's and early 90's. Quality is poor on some but still fun to watch. Especially the old local commercials from the era. Anyway, I have a buddy that works at the Alumni Association and he doesn't think games are available for purchase but said he would look into it further.

If Iowa ever made these available for purchase, I think they'd make money hand over fist. There are entire seasons of football and basketball that I'd be willing to shell out good money to own.

Well, I did actually stumble across this:
http://iowahawkeyes-dvd.cbscolleges...6&dept_id=-152&product_id=160042&sportCatID=3

Go to Hawkeyesports.com, and go to their shop. There's a DVD section. So there's something. :cool: Hopefully this is legit, but just as long as this site is official, I would think it would be. I don't know why they don't do more of this. I also spotted a 2010 Orange Bowl DVD.

There are tons of games I'd like to have. I wouldn't mind owning the 1986-87 hoops season in its entirety. Well, maybe not the UNLV game.. I've always been more of a hoops fanatic.

Converting old VHS to DVD sounds like a good idea.

Thanks, post an update if you find out anything!

Problem is, the "rights" to these games likely belong to the network that broadcast it

Still....this is a great idea that I'm surprised no enterprising person at the University (if such a person exists) or at CBS, ESPN, etc. hasn't thought of. These would literally cost peanuts to put together, and fans would snap them up.

You're probably correct about the rights. Maybe my contact sold me some games on VHS and shouldn't have. :eek:

Agreed - there are tons of sports nuts out there. These would sell like hotcakes.

Last edited:
I'd love to see JJ & the Dealers one more time, the run to the Final Four in '80 & any game with Ronnie Lester.

Well, I did actually stumble across this:
http://iowahawkeyes-dvd.cbscolleges...6&dept_id=-152&product_id=160042&sportCatID=3

Go to Hawkeyesports.com, and go to their shop. There's a DVD section. So there's something. :cool: Hopefully this is legit, but just as long as this site is official, I would think it would be. I don't know why they don't do more of this. I also spotted a 2010 Orange Bowl DVD.

There are tons of games I'd like to have. I wouldn't mind owning the 1986-87 hoops season in its entirety. Well, maybe not the UNLV game.. I've always been more of a hoops fanatic.

Converting old VHS to DVD sounds like a good idea.

Thanks, post an update if you find out anything!

I watched this game on Youtube the last week. Great to watch the stars of my childhood again but very tough too.

You're probably correct about the rights. Maybe my contact sold me some games on VHS and shouldn't have. :eek:

Agreed - there are tons of sports nuts out there. These would sell like hotcakes.

Several years ago a guy on the other site had a couple of DVD's which had the Iowa-Syracuse and Iowa-Georgetown games from the 1980 NCAA tournament that he sold me for $10. I hadn't seen the Georgetown game since I saw it live, and had never seen the Syracuse game because I had to work.

I just wish a station in Des Moines would show some of the old games like KCRG in Cedar Rapids.

That ion converter is pretty cool and easy to use. I put a bunch of football games from the 2000's and a couple from the 80's on digital. Quality isn't great but it's converting from vhs. I know if you have btn2go, they have some archived games. They have Kingsbury going off for 35 against Ray Allen in the great Alaskan shootout in 95. Not much from the 80's though

Latest posts