Class Rankings

Dean. Your logic on here really amazes me.

Bring up Tennessee, remember when we played them a few years back? Yikes.

Compare Iowa to UW? You really want to go there?

Bring up how good we've been over the last 4 years. Newsflash, we haven't been that good. We've taken advantage of super easy schedules, lost four bowl games, and got thumped in three of those four bowl games.

Look I'm not as gloomy as some. But I will certainly call out sunshine pumpers when I feel it's necessary.

My point is even with those disappointments, we still rank pretty high over the last 5 years. You can't just say our "schedule was easy" over 5 flipping year, as you have no clue how hard the other schools just above or below us were.

Serously man, you need to start following recruiting, so you can understand it. For instance the '13 Iowa class was "ranked" by rivals as the 51st best recruiting class. When SI went back and re ranked the 2013 recruiting class based on ACTUAL RESULTS ON THE FIELD, Iowa has the 9th best recruiting class in 2013 results wise. http://www.si.com/college-football/2016/02/08/re-ranking-2013-college-football-recruiting-classes

Why do we look back to the 2013 season and look at what our "estimated rank" was? I mean that is like looking back to this year pre season and pretending we were the #15 team......when our results fell short of that. We were NOT the #15 team this year, no matter what the "rankings" told us.

I get using the rankings to determine where we "stand" this year and maybe last year, when kids aren't actually contributing.....yet to pretend that the on field contributions that the '13 class made doesn't count, and it is still the #51 ranked recruiting class is just stupid. ACTUAL freaking results tell us it was a much higher ranked class than that.
Yep, stars and rankings don't matter.

Signed,
Alabama

Signed,
Alabama

Identifying the top 300-400 kids in a recruiting class is easy. I could do it, if it were my full time job. I'd just start going through all the So. with offers from the blue bloods now, and just start numbering them. I'd then add in early offer Jr. the next year, and low and behold I would have 300-400 kids on the list that lots of the best D1 Schools are recruiting. These top 300-400 4*/5* are kids who are getting recruited by the top schools. These ranking companies aren't unearthing players that schools don't know about, you realize this right?

You don't think Bama, OSU, Clemson, USC, Texas, Florida, Florida St., Miami, OU, LSU, Penn St., Notre Dame, and all the others don't know who the best players in the country are? You think they only "recruited well" because Rivals put a Grade on their recruits? I'm not saying getting good football players doesn't matter. What I am saying is it has always been the team that gets the most sought after players to their school is getting the best players. Rivals is just telling us who is getting the most sought after players is all.

So yeah, rankings matter for the top 20-25 recruiting classes. After that, crap shoot. There is a reason that Wisconsin can get average recruiting classed in the 40's and still be better than teams that get top 20 classes. There are a ton of other good/great players outside of the top 300-400 guys, and Sconnie and some other teams know how to find them more regularly than other programs.

Identifying the top 300-400 kids in a recruiting class is easy. I could do it, if it were my full time job. I'd just start going through all the So. with offers from the blue bloods now, and just start numbering them. I'd then add in early offer Jr. the next year, and low and behold I would have 300-400 kids on the list that lots of the best D1 Schools are recruiting. These top 300-400 4*/5* are kids who are getting recruited by the top schools. These ranking companies aren't unearthing players that schools don't know about, you realize this right?

You don't think Bama, OSU, Clemson, USC, Texas, Florida, Florida St., Miami, OU, LSU, Penn St., Notre Dame, and all the others don't know who the best players in the country are? You think they only "recruited well" because Rivals put a Grade on their recruits? I'm not saying getting good football players doesn't matter. What I am saying is it has always been the team that gets the most sought after players to their school is getting the best players. Rivals is just telling us who is getting the most sought after players is all.

So yeah, rankings matter for the top 20-25 recruiting classes. After that, crap shoot. There is a reason that Wisconsin can get average recruiting classed in the 40's and still be better than teams that get top 20 classes. There are a ton of other good/great players outside of the top 300-400 guys, and Sconnie and some other teams know how to find them more regularly than other programs.

Yeah, Wisconsin stumbled upon a magic formula when Biels was there...wait and see who Iowa offered and then offer right those kids right away.

Let's be real about Wisky. There is more to it than recruiting. They get better recruiting than us and they have an AD who actually wants to win...badly. In the past 10-15 years (which is all the current recruits care about and know) they win and they have won with all of their head coaches. It's a school and athletic department culture. They don't whine about only being little old Wisky. They expect to win. We hope to win. Big difference and it shows.

Let's be real about Wisky. There is more to it than recruiting. They get better recruiting than us and they have an AD who actually wants to win...badly. In the past 10-15 years (which is all the current recruits care about and know) they win and they have won with all of their head coaches. It's a school and athletic department culture. They don't whine about only being little old Wisky. They expect to win. We hope to win. Big difference and it shows.

Derp.....you could say that about Wisky and any other non blue blood team. Heck you could say that about Wisky vs lots of Blue bloods as well.

Signed,
Alabama

Sure talent matters. Alabama, Clemson, OSU, currently FSU and USC prove that, along with a few other blue bloods. When can get as many 4-5 stars as you choose, they matter more. FSU and USC thought, also prove you need development and coaching matter as well.

Ya need both to be elite.

It's been proven 100 times over that stars and rankings matter

Sure they do. Like I said, the ratings services tell us who gets the most sought after kids. It only makes sense that the teams that get the kids that everyone wants are going to generally be pretty damned good. Top 10 - 15 classes absolutely mean something. Those are typically blue blood programs, or programs that are hot at the time, and yes, when you sign kids that Bama, OSU, Michigan, Texas, USC, Florida St. and other like them want, that is a highly talented kid.

Yet that kid is highly talented because he is talented, EVERYONE can see it. Rivals isn't discovering these kids, the schools know who they are, they are simply telling us what everyone already knows.

It's been proven 100 times over that stars and rankings matter

Uh, yeah. Of course talent matters. Stars do too...just not as much for those outside the elite teams that pull nothing but....I don't really see anyone saying talent doesn't matter.