Class Act by Kirk Contacting O'Brien

WindyCityHawkI

I am very happy to hear we aren't going to have any issues going after PSU players that want out. I also think is is nice again to see what a class act Kirk is and that he is only one of 3 coaches that have called O'Brien directly to let him know that. Many others (Illinois, USC, etc) it sounds like are just roaming around campus going after guys. I am sure you can add every SEC school, Meyer, and Bielema to that list as well.

I am very happy to hear we aren't going to have any issues going after PSU players that want out. I also think is is nice again to see what a class act Kirk is and that he is only one of 3 coaches that have called O'Brien directly to let him know that. Many others (Illinois, USC, etc) it sounds like are just roaming around campus going after guys. I am sure you can add every SEC school, Meyer, and Bielema to that list as well.

He just waits until he finds out which players Iowa is after.

I am not one to usually complain about multiple thread starters, because they usually have something new to add to the subject, or there are 200+ responses, or the subject has been bantered about for more than a half day, original thread hijacked...that said...a new thread...really?

Or am I just missing the sarcasm?

I am not one to usually complain about multiple thread starters, because they usually have something new to add to the subject, or there are 200+ responses, or the subject has been bantered about for more than a half day, original thread hijacked...that said...a new thread...really?

Or am I just missing the sarcasm?

I think it makes a good new topic. I tried to read that 8 page thread and got glossy eyed half way through the 2nd page so I jumped to the last and did not see anything about Kirk taking the high road in recruiting PSU players.

Here's what the NCAA says about the process of transferring and contact with other schools:

Permission-to-contact rules are suspended. Penn State cannot restrict in any way a student-athlete from pursuing a possible transfer. Student-athletes must simply inform Penn State of their interest in discussing transfer options with other schools. Before communicating with student-athletes, interested schools also must inform Penn State of their intention to open discussions with the student-athlete.

Here's what the NCAA says about the process of transferring and contact with other schools:

Permission-to-contact rules are suspended. Penn State cannot restrict in any way a student-athlete from pursuing a possible transfer. Student-athletes must simply inform Penn State of their interest in discussing transfer options with other schools. Before communicating with student-athletes, interested schools also must inform Penn State of their intention to open discussions with the student-athlete.

It would be funny to see Illinois get punished for this.

But it says nothing about having to contact the head coach or even call for that matter. ESPN reported that a school sent a fax with 30 current PSU players on it to the AD's office. I guess that is all the notice that is needed.

Also there are rumors that Illinois sent 6 coaches to troll apartment complex parking lots. Nice!

O'Brien, in his interview with Rece Davis said the following:

When asked about what he thought the protocol for coaches recruiting his players, his quote was, "I do think there is a protocol, and some coaches have called me, George [O'Leary] has called me, Doug Marone has called me, Kirk Ferentz has called me, and these are guys that are standup guys, and they've said, 'hey look, if their kids . . ., if our guys contact them, they'll listen, they'll talk to them, but at the end of the day, we just wanted to let you know that's how we're going to handle it."

It sounded to me that Ferentz told him that if a Penn State player or recruit contacts them about an interest in coming to Iowa, he'll talk to them versus him affirmatively seeking out players to come to Iowa, i.e., asking kids to leave Penn State.

The fact O'Brien let's it be known that Ferentz will listen to player wishing to transfer is better than actually making the call!!!

Latest posts