Clark vs Boston

Glass1/2fullguy

Clarks stats are insane. The nation wide debate being talked about is simply for fabricating drama.

Caitlin Clark
1680109419150.png

Aliyah Boston
1680109637428.png

Attachments

• 1680108987676.png
    1680108987676.png
    31.4 KB · Views: 1
Definitely agree that stats don't tell the whole story. When Gustafson won NPOY, she probably wasn't actually the best player, but she played in a very stat-friendly system. She was awesome, no doubt, but not the best.

Clark is a stat-monster, and also the best player in the nation. But hopefully Iowa fans appreciate how awesome Boston is. She has Shaq-like skills and a Tim Duncan-esque personality and leadership abilities. Her (comparatively) meager stats belie her impact on the game.

Definitely agree that stats don't tell the whole story. When Gustafson won NPOY, she probably wasn't actually the best player, but she played in a very stat-friendly system. She was awesome, no doubt, but not the best.

Clark is a stat-monster, and also the best player in the nation. But hopefully Iowa fans appreciate how awesome Boston is. She has Shaq-like skills and a Tim Duncan-esque personality and leadership abilities. Her (comparatively) meager stats belie her impact on the game.
I get that stats aren't the end all be all. But man at some point they sure as hell factor. My question isn't that Clark was better then Boston but what about all the other gals? Lots of gals have had better yrs then Boston not just scoring but matching her rebounding and impact. That Reese gal at LSU has been a monster. The Villanova gal & Indiana has a stud. All I'd put over Boston this yr. To me the travesty isn't that Clark and Boston were the front runners it's that Boston was over all the others.

Clark was head and shoulders better stat wise and impact wise. It shouldn't have been a close call.

I don't think you can determine POY just on raw stats, but when you account for that person's influence on team's ability

I get that stats aren't the end all be all. But man at some point they sure as hell factor. My question isn't that Clark was better then Boston but what about all the other gals? Lots of gals have had better yrs then Boston not just scoring but matching her rebounding and impact. That Reese gal at LSU has been a monster. The Villanova gal & Indiana has a stud. All I'd put over Boston this yr. To me the travesty isn't that Clark and Boston were the front runners it's that Boston was over all the others.

Clark was head and shoulders better stat wise and impact wise. It shouldn't have been a close call.
This is the point. There was no debate to be had. Clark won this thing going away.

This is the point. There was no debate to be had. Clark won this thing going away.
Yeah if you take Boston off her team they hardly notice. They'd still be where they are. They'd easily be number 1 and most likely still undefeated. You take Clark off Iowa and let's just say their record would be significantly different.

It's not just Boston and the starters:

"DALLAS — The collection of players, seated at the scorer’s table, waiting patiently to enter the game, was enough to make any coach go mad with jealousy.

That is unless you’re the coach on the opposite sideline, being forced to contend with those four players after having already dealt with the South Carolina starters … and then you might just be plain old mad.

In Monday’s Elite Eight victory in Greenville, S.C., that coach happened to be Maryland’s Brenda Frese. And the four players waiting to check in for the Gamecocks were Raven Johnson, Bree Hall, Kamilla Cardoso and Laeticia Amihere.

All four are former five-star recruits. One is 6-7. Another is an Olympian."

Cardoso, at 6-7 and the SEC’s sixth woman of the year, averages 8.4 rebounds per game, which leads the nation among players who get fewer than 20 minutes a game. But when she and Boston play together, it gives the Gamecocks an unmatched offensive and defensive pairing that doesn’t show up as an obvious statistic. No other team in the country can take out a player of Boston’s caliber and replace her with someone who can cause nightmares in the paint like Cardoso.

Might be the upset of the Century

It's not just Boston and the starters:

"DALLAS — The collection of players, seated at the scorer’s table, waiting patiently to enter the game, was enough to make any coach go mad with jealousy.

That is unless you’re the coach on the opposite sideline, being forced to contend with those four players after having already dealt with the South Carolina starters … and then you might just be plain old mad.

In Monday’s Elite Eight victory in Greenville, S.C., that coach happened to be Maryland’s Brenda Frese. And the four players waiting to check in for the Gamecocks were Raven Johnson, Bree Hall, Kamilla Cardoso and Laeticia Amihere.

Cardoso, at 6-7 and the SEC’s sixth woman of the year, averages 8.4 rebounds per game, which leads the nation among players who get fewer than 20 minutes a game. But when she and Boston play together, it gives the Gamecocks an unmatched offensive and defensive pairing that doesn’t show up as an obvious statistic. No other team in the country can take out a player of Boston’s caliber and replace her with someone who can cause nightmares in the paint like Cardoso.

Might be the upset of the Century
If Iowa comes out of the gates guns blazing and goes up 10-2 or 20-8 it'd be interesting to see how South Carolina responds. If they got behind to the point where they'd need to shoot more 3s I'd like to see them sweat. How do they respond to a classic CC flurry? Hope we get to find out. It'll be tough though. The ball literally needs to bounce our way rebounding wise and the refs gotta not jam us up.

I think rebounding is the key to this game. If we can hold our own or stay halfway close on the boards we have a decent chance. Iowa is the better offensive team. I’m afraid that we will get killed on the glass and therefore get beat fairly soundly. I am hoping to see CC go off again and guide us to a national championship. Go Hawks.

Yeah if you take Boston off her team they hardly notice. They'd still be where they are. They'd easily be number 1 and most likely still undefeated. You take Clark off Iowa and let's just say their record would be significantly different.
Clark goes to the bench for a 2 minute breather and we have to force up bad shots to beat the shot clock. When she's in the game we get great shots in the first 15 seconds of the clock. Just a night and day difference.

I think rebounding is the key to this game. If we can hold our own or stay halfway close on the boards we have a decent chance. Iowa is the better offensive team. I’m afraid that we will get killed on the glass and therefore get beat fairly soundly. I am hoping to see CC go off again and guide us to a national championship. Go Hawks.
Imagine if Clark lead them to a title. That would be the coolest story ever. Home grown talent chooses to stay home instead of chasing titles at blue bloods, and gets rewarded with a title there. I imagine the satisfaction she would feel for the rest of her life would be astronomically higher than if she coasted to a championship at UCONN.

I feel like I'm rooting harder for the win for her sake than I am for the joy of watching it myself. That's probably rare for a fan. I'm pretty sure it's never been the case for me.

Honestly I think it's a pipedream to think we can rebound with them. We haven't rebounded well against most good teams and this is the tallest and best of the best at it. We are getting significantly out rebounded tonight. To me to counteract that we gotta shoot a high % from 3 and keep our TOs low. Also how this game is officiated will be huge. It could be a frustrating shit show if say Monica Clark or Mckenna get in foul trouble early. But if the refs call South Carolina for over the back a few times maybe that'll level the playing field a little. We'll find out tonight

We can have hot and cold shooting nights. We will be out-rebounded. We often are. If we had a tall big this would be a lot easier but we don't. Maybe this year's run will let us nab a good big for next year. If our entire team is shooting well we are in this game. If not...;.we are still very proud of this team.

We can have hot and cold shooting nights. We will be out-rebounded. We often are. If we had a tall big this would be a lot easier but we don't. Maybe this year's run will let us nab a good big for next year. If our entire team is shooting well we are in this game. If not...;.we are still very proud of this team.
I honestly think it will boil down to TOs. If they push the fast breaks without turning it over, I think they'll surprise the Gamecocks tonight and pull off the stunner. I don't expect great shooting out of either team.

I honestly think it will boil down to TOs. If they push the fast breaks without turning it over, I think they'll surprise the Gamecocks tonight and pull off the stunner. I don't expect great shooting out of either team.
Yeah it turns into a game of possessions. Gotta keep TOs as close to 12 or less as possible. It'll be tough to do. And shoot close to 45% from 3. They need to make 10 at minimum of those. We won't get a ton of paint pts in this one Monica will be fortunate to get double figures this game and that's if she gets some FTs. Idealy we need to be red hot from 3 and get close to 15 3s. If we can get the score up into the 80s and speed them up I like our chances. If we shoot poorly and turn it over alot they could get a lead and just bleed the clock on us. They'll get lots of 2nd chance opportunities and those extra possessions hurt us 2 fold when they burn more clock and score on them...

Imagine if Clark lead them to a title. That would be the coolest story ever. Home grown talent chooses to stay home instead of chasing titles at blue bloods, and gets rewarded with a title there. I imagine the satisfaction she would feel for the rest of her life would be astronomically higher than if she coasted to a championship at UCONN.

I feel like I'm rooting harder for the win for her sake than I am for the joy of watching it myself. That's probably rare for a fan. I'm pretty sure it's never been the case for me.
I like this and kind of where I’m at as well. I’ll be at the game tonight and ecstatic to root for this team and see Clark for the first time in person. Rooting hard for her because what she’s doing for woman’s college bb resembles in my mind what tiger woods did for golf at the beginning of his career. Before tiger came along golf was more of a niche sport. Mainly only those who played the sport watched the sport. Then tiger came along and everyone was tuning in to watch the greatness that was Tiger Woods. Clark is not at a tiger level of dominance but she is most definitely bringing attention to the woman’s game that would not be there without what she’s doing. I’m going to this game tonight w/ zero expectations of seeing Iowa win but if they do it’ll be amazing and imo great for the sport because it will raise Clark to yet another level.

They certainly dominate the glass

Almost like they have executive parking privileges

After a shot is released 2/3 of the Gamecocks stand under the glass

They are too tall that it is almost impossible to get a defensive rebound

We have to fake shots to get them off their feet, and then laungh a shot and hopefully get
a foul called on them, especially Boston

If we can keep them off balance, if that is even possible, passing the ball quickly

We should be able to get open shots

Gonna be a Tall Task for certain

Last edited: